R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Its thinned chemically, not watered. I am just curious as to why you would think medium would have more holding power. Thinner glue is going to cover better than medium, creating more holding power do to a larger contact area. Medium is easier to use, but there are alot more benifits of using thin. Like way faster curing and a cleaner glue job.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
Its thinned chemically, not watered. I am just curious as to why you would think medium would have more holding power. Thinner glue is going to cover better than medium, creating more holding power do to a larger contact area. Medium is easier to use, but there are alot more benifits of using thin. Like way faster curing and a cleaner glue job.
Oh yes of course... "water" would be bad.

Lets see.... I think..... That thin CA, because it is thin, and wicks very well would fill the tiny pours of the rubber and plastic it is trying to bond and create little voids where the contact between the two surfaces would be non exsistant or very thin and weak.

I also think... CA is "chemically thinned" therefor not having the bonding properties that of non-thinned medium or thick Cyanoacrylates do. Also that because medium or thick CA has the ability to bridge gaps further enhancing the strength by not only filling the pours but filling the gaps between the two materials.

I'm not a chemical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.......

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

Lets see.... I think..... That thin CA, because it is thin, and wicks very well would fill the tiny pours of the rubber and plastic it is trying to bond and create little voids where the contact between the two surfaces would be non exsistant or very thin and weak.

I also think... CA is "chemically thinned" therefor not having the bonding properties that of non-thinned medium or thick Cyanoacrylates do. Also that because medium or thick CA has the ability to bridge gaps further enhancing the strength by not only filling the pours but filling the gaps between the two materials.

LMFAO hahaha

when u glue tires all i do is wipe the tire and rim with motor spray and wrap the edge of the tire with elec. tape and glue with losi standard glue.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I like losi medium and especially AKA glue. I also like to coat the bead of the tire. I do a clean job as well. I let my buddy glue a pair for me at a away race and he does that spot stuff and the tire were pulling of the bead on the outside wheel in the high speed sweeper.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:

sillyboy

losi red
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
sillyboy

losi red
You know, i tried losi thin(red) and its kinda a hit or miss. ive been using the losi standard(blue) and it seems way more consistent. I do the same thing every time and the red sometimes gives and other times it doesnt. The standard stuff seems to hold tight all the time

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I've tried a lot of different glues over the past 15 years or so.

Losi Blue is still my "favorite standby".

AKA now has it beat. The AKA bonds and really is better in terms of melting the tire to the wheel better, it's also a touch faster. It makes a stronger bond, faster, without being brittle.

The Ofna "thin" is great when you're in a real big hurry. It's hot stuff for sure. Only did a couple of sets with it, but they've held up fine. It actually takes a little more patience to work with the thin because it does 'wick' so quickly...you have to work a little quicker. And I'm not quick

Proline glues were a real disappointment for me. I think one bottle was doa and was just old; the second; well it ranked strictly mediocre and took forever for the tires to 'set'; probably half again longer than the Losi Med.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #23
Tech Regular

losi offroad tire glueing kit
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

AKA has some very high quality products

good thing Gil jr. knows what he is doing

his last name is losi ya know
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 10-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Buy premounts

I hate gluing tires.
But alot of the tires from different companies don't have a premount option
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad racer View Post
But alot of the tires from different companies don't have a premount option
You only need AKA's.

They have a tread and compound for all race conditions and their whole line up is available premounted.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
You only need AKA's.

They have a tread and compound for all race conditions and their whole line up is available premounted.
tru dat

AKA tires are great
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
AKA has some very high quality products

good thing Gil jr. knows what he is doing

his last name is losi ya know
and he runs a Kyosho! what does that tell you
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #29
Tech Addict

I like to use AKA premount, I take them off the rim and glue them back on with Elmers school glue, it dries clear and I can get it out of my hair and clothes.Seriously I am gonna try Gorilla glue just to see. That stuff is insane one other projects. Did you know it tells you to make sure both surfaces are wet?????
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
I like to use AKA premount, I take them off the rim and glue them back on with Elmers school glue, it dries clear and I can get it out of my hair and clothes.Seriously I am gonna try Gorilla glue just to see. That stuff is insane one other projects. Did you know it tells you to make sure both surfaces are wet?????
Gorilla glue works very well on porous materials like wood and not so well on plastic though it will bond somewhat to rubber.

Also with the use of water; Polyurethane reacts or sets off with water. One of the reasons it's used is to help cure as well as in wood working to open the pores of wood to help the glue seek better adhesion.

Also remember to clamp the daylights out of the tires to hold them to the wheels. When the Gorilla glue starts to cure it foams and that foam is strong enough to separate heavy objects.

Try it and share your results here.