R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default flywheel washer

the one that goes between the flywheel and front engine bearing. Do you have to use it? I remember someone saying they did not use it because it helped keep dirt out. Is this a good idea? If i don't have to put it on i wont'. I have been getting alot of dirt behind the flywheel.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dreaux.....your making wayy too many threads!

The spacer is used to adjust clutch bell play and how far the bell extends out. Dirt on the front bearing is normal, on break in all bears leak because you are running it in very rich conditions. I would personally keep it on!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

dont use it it will ruin the front bearing seal, I learned the hard way.
powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave View Post
dont use it it will ruin the front bearing seal, I learned the hard way.
+1 Only use one if you have to, and if you do use one make sure it's the same OD as the inner race of the bearing.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
dreaux.....your making wayy too many threads!

The spacer is used to adjust clutch bell play and how far the bell extends out. Dirt on the front bearing is normal, on break in all bears leak because you are running it in very rich conditions. I would personally keep it on!
I am so sick of you. How am i making to many threads? THease are VERY important questions for me right now. I am trying to diagnose various problems. I have spent thousands in the past year. And i LOVE my new hobby and enjoy it, unlike you. You always are negative and seem miserable. I want to protect and get the most out of my investment. SO if i have offended you. I don't care that is your problem. THere are plenty of people here willing to help me. And you are not one of them. So GTFO!!

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Tech Master

Actually chris is wrong.Those shims you ask about are to space the flywheel for & aft when the CB is meshed(for & aft) with the spur where you want it. Some car,mount,motor,flywheel combos can have the clutch shoes hang out the back of the CB when the CB is where you want it. Then those shims are required to bring the shoes into the CB & the shims in front of & behind the the clutch bearings are used to set CB end play,not the one behind the flywheel. Like said above I only the ones your asking about if I have to,not just because. I've had lots of engines in my time in RC & so far in my experience shim or no shim it has no effect on front bearing or seal life so its not a big deal if I need them. It is what it is & something I use to make things as perfect as they can be not something required.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I am so sick of you. How am i making to many threads? THease are VERY important questions for me right now. I am trying to diagnose various problems. I have spent thousands in the past year. And i LOVE my new hobby and enjoy it, unlike you. You always are negative and seem miserable. I want to protect and get the most out of my investment. SO if i have offended you. I don't care that is your problem. THere are plenty of people here willing to help me. And you are not one of them. So GTFO!!
Well said man.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
x2.

you do make a lot of threads , some just could of just required a little thinking BUT you are wanting to make sure, this is what forums are for.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Actually chris is wrong.Those shims you ask about are to space the flywheel for & aft when the CB is meshed(for & aft) with the spur where you want it. Some car,mount,motor,flywheel combos can have the clutch shoes hang out the back of the CB when the CB is where you want it. Then those shims are required to bring the shoes into the CB & the shims in front of & behind the the clutch bearings are used to set CB end play,not the one behind the flywheel. Like said above I only the ones your asking about if I have to,not just because. I've had lots of engines in my time in RC & so far in my experience shim or no shim it has no effect on front bearing or seal life so its not a big deal if I need them. It is what it is & something I use to make things as perfect as they can be not something required.
Your right. When I posted I guess I wasnt thinking.

and dreaux, here are your recent threads. http://www.rctech.net/forum/search.php?searchid=6040508

I say you are making too many threads because it is hard to find your threads when there seems like there is a couple a day. Post your questions on your personal thread so it will be easier to find.

DREAUX'S PERSONAL THREAD

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

I placed a shim (aka washer) between my flywheel and the front engine bearing because the Fionori Vario flywheel/clutch setup rubs against the case if I don't (unlike the stock AE flywheel which almost wraps around the case). The washer is about 3/4 the diameter of the engine bearing, so covers most of it.

I haven't noticed any problems with doing this (then again, I've only had about 10 tanks through when doing this), but when I removed the clutch to check after those 10 tanks, there was no unusual amount of dirt, wear or whatever going on.

Of course, I'm still relatively new to nitro, but I'm not totally oblivious to basic elements of mechanical engineering. If the only issue about doing this is the possible build up of dirt either behind the washer or whatever, I can deal with this by spraying some WD40 in there between heats.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

1000% Fine to Shim the Flywheel with a larger washer then is the Inner race of the Bearing....the washer has NO reason to bend or fold causing Any issues with the seal.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Hey I post some crazy threads on here and no one laughs at them ??? I am crazy and enjoy cutting up, I also like reading /dreauxs' threads , he's not crazy yet but he'll eventually get there!!!... we started hanging old worn out junk motors from a tree at our track just for kicks, kinda like sneakers over powerlines. Who knows maybe it will catch on.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

hahahahaha yep we do! you want to go to opelika with me and alex maybe this weekend? your more than welcome if alex is ok with it.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Just a guess. Is it called the "Os" or "GRP" tree?

It's not the "buggy tree" is it?

Did anyone find all those Rc8 arms I buried in the TRC track?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

hahahahaha good comsumption! yea joeyplatinum just lost a vspec so yea id say its the OS tree.hahaha. cant tell if ur being serious bout those arms..lol