R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New Engine Question

I am just starting to understand tuning engines and would like to upgrade from my Go 3r engine to a v-spec or an O'Donnell ss .21(I have a Z01B). my question is, which of these two engines is easier to tune? are they about the same? I am kinda looking for the ford f-150 of rc engines one that doesn't need to be played with all the time and just runs well. I know i have to tune the engine each time i run but i am sick of chasing a tune in my Go engine. thank you for your time.
fievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fievel View Post
I am just starting to understand tuning engines and would like to upgrade from my Go 3r engine to a v-spec or an O'Donnell ss .21(I have a Z01B). my question is, which of these two engines is easier to tune? are they about the same? I am kinda looking for the ford f-150 of rc engines one that doesn't need to be played with all the time and just runs well. I know i have to tune the engine each time i run but i am sick of chasing a tune in my Go engine. thank you for your time.
One of the biggest selling points of the v spec is the ease of tunning, very reliable engine, plenty of power for buggy or truggy and great runtime's. Not to sure on the OD SS, havnt ran one yet, but i can say you cant go wrong with the OS.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fievel View Post

get a ninja or vspec. O.S. engines are the easiest to tune. And the ninja will have a longer lifespan.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
get a ninja or vspec. O.S. engines are the easiest to tune. And the ninja will have a longer lifespan.
I would recommend the Ninja engine. It is made by O.S. It is very similar to the V-Spec.
JASracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

How long will a typical Vspec or Ninja last? I've heard that a Vspec wont last very long.
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
How long will a typical Vspec or Ninja last? I've heard that a Vspec wont last very long.
My first V-spec got 9 gallons, the second only got 6. I'm now trying a RB WS7 and I've herd that 13-14 gallons is not out of the question. We will see.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

From what I see at the track the ninjas last longer. In some cases ALOT longer. Never seen a broken ninja case or worn crank & carb bellows seem to last longer but bearings I havent asked about as most I know replace those with TKO after break-in out of habbit with all motors. I will never buy another v-spec but from what I see at the track would not hesitate to get a ninja if I needed another motor.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

another really good engine you might want to consider is the Jammin JPX.21 i have one (just got one) and it has TONS of power. it'll hang with the v specs all day long. and once i get her tuned in in practice, i dont have to touch it for the rest of the day. (unless the temp changed drastically). and the jammin is only 239.99 or something close to that.

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have a vspec right now and ive had many issues with it, but my dad had one for 9 gallons, he didnt even change a bearing or conrod until the 9 gallon mark. He changed the bearings and put a new rod in then it lost compression like 1/4 after that which i thought was funny.

i would advise a ninja, vspecs are nice but you gotta change the rod after break n to a ninja or speed rod. thats where most fail

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote