R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Go Tech GX 7 port or Reedy 121VR?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these motors and can't decide. I've read both positive and negative reviews on both. Well actually I haven't found any real reviews of the new GX series of Go engines, but they should be similar in quality to the previous version.

Both engines seem to be plenty fast enough. Many people complain that the Reedy lacks top end but say it's got crazy bottom to mid range and very smooth. Sounds like it can be a little tough to tune, but once it's done it holds a tune very well. The reviews I've read on the Go it sounds like either poeple love it or hate it. I've also seen mention of questionable quality on the go engine. I've never run either one personally so I'd like ot hear from people who have.
It will be going into an RC8. The track I run on is dry, dusty, technical, blown out and has some big jumps. It's a medium sized track, no straights on the entire track so crazy fast top end isn't needed. Good bottom and mid range is where it's at on this track. I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of the 2 this weekend. Give me some suggestions please.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The GX7 is going to be ballistic up top. Also comes with a spare conrod.

The Reedy is more of a bottom end motor, if I've read correctly.

Personally, I'd be happy with the GX7 if I was looking for the best bang for buck. I'd get the Reedy if I was looking to spend a bit more.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the less you spend, the less you worry about wear and tear on the motor. Cheers
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Tech Master

Found someone local with a RB concepts killer 9 for sale. It's brand new, never started, and cheaper than the go and reedy. How does it compare?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
Found someone local with a RB concepts killer 9 for sale. It's brand new, never started, and cheaper than the go and reedy. How does it compare?
The RB killer 9 is made in Taiwan by Force Engines not by Novarossi
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
The RB killer 9 is made in Taiwan by Force Engines not by Novarossi

So are the Go engines, and they aren't a POS. I doubt this one is either. RB is know for quality and if it's made to their specs, it should be just as good. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon and buy a new release product because there's always bugs to be worked out. The price is right on this one though and RB has a solid history. I just don't know which way to go. Too many freaking choices.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Easy choice, go the Nova Plus 4, i researched a lot and for the price it is the best engine in the class at this time IMHO, its only 50 bux more than the reedy and its italian made and has the power of an OS speed with the economy to match, and will get 8+ gallons out of it if its treated right. Theres no match for it. I just bought 2 of them one for the RC8 and one for the RC8T.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
So are the Go engines, and they aren't a POS. I doubt this one is either. RB is know for quality and if it's made to their specs, it should be just as good. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon and buy a new release product because there's always bugs to be worked out. The price is right on this one though and RB has a solid history. I just don't know which way to go. Too many freaking choices.
RB's are hit or miss they are very touchy on the tuning. Go-Tecs are great engines if you break them in right and learn how to tune them. The newer gx series is the same gen 5.5 series just coated parts as far as I can tell. I own 5 go-tecs. One I blew to hell,c-clip came out. I didn't have it seated right. 1 of my 7 ports has 12 gallons on it. the other I am still breaking in,almost 1 gallon. My 5 port is the monster even in stock form. still breaking that one in also. Now for my rb modded 3 port, it will spank the other 2 engines hands down. I run it with a dynamite 086 pipe.[actually I run all 3 with this pipe] bottom end very controllable, top like a top fuel funny car,god that thing screams! I like running that one the most only because on coming out of a corner you can start on the gas earlier with out the ass end whipping around on you. The other 2 are stock but you need to becareful when you apply the gas. Whips the back around quick. If I had to pick 1 engine in the go line stock, it would be the 5 port. Will do everything you want with good tank time. I average around 12-13 min. mark on mine.If you can find a new gx I would go for it,but if you can find a gen 5.5 silver head at a good price I would get it. I see fx hobbies in Canada lowered the 3 port to 149.00 Canadian.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Yup, that Go tech 5 port is one hella motor.I run the Caster Grenade version which is a gen 4.That motor screams.With a heavy clutch it'll run with anything...........Anything!!!!! Just gotta stay on the heat gun till the pinch is gone.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Tech Regular

i've seen too many reedy engines fail (crank pin becoming oval, silicone insert working loose and getting sucked into the engine, ...). i guess, they released them to early. very nice bottom to mid range but lacking top.
the go 7 port is a different animal. more than enough bottom and screaming top - it will easily hang with all those italian stallions. and the quality ist the same, too. the new gx range is gold tini-coated (complete crank and bolt) and comes with a spare conrod and carb inserts, what more could you ask for? the go 5 port is really hard on the bottom - i'd say it's more a truggy engine, but it all depends on the driver...

whatever you may choose - enjoy!
Supastox GT
triplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I ran a go 5 port/os 2050 combo and it was pretty darn fast. Just wish I would've broken it in properly cause then I might still have it going.looking to get the 5 port gx for my truggy in the near future. I have seen a few of the older 7 port ones run and with the right tuning they scream(as with most engines)
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these motors and can't decide. I've read both positive and negative reviews on both. Well actually I haven't found any real reviews of the new GX series of Go engines, but they should be similar in quality to the previous version.

Both engines seem to be plenty fast enough. Many people complain that the Reedy lacks top end but say it's got crazy bottom to mid range and very smooth. Sounds like it can be a little tough to tune, but once it's done it holds a tune very well. The reviews I've read on the Go it sounds like either poeple love it or hate it. I've also seen mention of questionable quality on the go engine. I've never run either one personally so I'd like ot hear from people who have.
It will be going into an RC8. The track I run on is dry, dusty, technical, blown out and has some big jumps. It's a medium sized track, no straights on the entire track so crazy fast top end isn't needed. Good bottom and mid range is where it's at on this track. I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of the 2 this weekend. Give me some suggestions please.
I know this was not one of your chooses but, have have a look at Werks B5 engines under $200, Kortz used his for 6+ gallons under hardcore racing conditions at major events without replacing rod or bearings, straight out of the box with 2013 pipe and 30% nitro along with a OS P3 plug.

None of this rubbish about replacing Rods after 1 gallon or installing ceramic bearings, it very rare in today's racing environment to obtain a motor that the average Joe has access to, the very same engine that a pro racer has access to. Check the the Werks B5 page on Rctech.

Ron from Werks has the best customer service, none better, he will answer all your questions. Send him a PM to find out more or read the B5 page for more information.
Jesussaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Tech Master

I ended up ordering the new RB Killer 9. Thanks for the suggestions, we'll see how this motor runs soon enough.