Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much oil do you put in the shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How much oil do you put in the shocks

Hello everyone I am new to this hobby and I am taking my car apart for cleaning for the first time.. I have a Tamiya tns-t18 with a Tamiya FS-18FD 3.0cc nitro engine what I am wondering is how much Shock oil do I put in the shocks and any other pointers would be great.. this is my second nitro car.. my first one was a HIMOTO Syclone... I am following the directions but it does not really say how much to put in.. just to change the amt to the terrain.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixBJ...layer_embedded
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by themagician001
Hello everyone I am new to this hobby and I am taking my car apart for cleaning for the first time.. I have a Tamiya tns-t18 with a Tamiya FS-18FD 3.0cc nitro engine what I am wondering is how much Shock oil do I put in the shocks and any other pointers would be great.. this is my second nitro car.. my first one was a HIMOTO Syclone... I am following the directions but it does not really say how much to put in.. just to change the amt to the terrain.
fill them all the way full and then push the piston up and down slowly to get all the air bubbles out.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Great video, the duct tape trick seems very helpful.
Is it worth the investment to but the shock shaft pliers?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DraftDriver
Great video, the duct tape trick seems very helpful.
Is it worth the investment to but the shock shaft pliers?
as long as the duct tap trick works I don't see the need to get shock pliers, except when you run out of duct tape.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omarwashington
as long as the duct tap trick works I don't see the need to get shock pliers, except when you run out of duct tape.
haha oh know, im outta ducttape, the world is coming to an end.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Pliers take up less room in the RC tool box. Dykes on the last thread works excelent too & you can go above threads if you need to.Stopped using pliers after I started using dykes.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
Pliers take up less room in the RC tool box. Dykes on the last thread works excelent too & you can go above threads if you need to.Stopped using pliers after I started using dykes.
Any particular size?
I was looking at Integy's pliers but might go with the dykes instead - thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

IDK about length. WIthout going out to the ford I would guess 7-8 inches? I use the same tackle box most everybody around here uses & their a inch or little more shorter than the drawer. I use the short knipex side dykes I got off the matco tool truck.If you have access to any tool truck they all sell knipex no matter what the plastic handle says look for the knipex logo forged into the neck most tool houses & I think even sell knipex.I dont want to sound like a tool snob(wich I am,part of the job)but if your gonna use them for the intended purpose of dykes also knipes is the only way to go,a lifetime tool. I still have the integy styleshock shaft clamps(different brand) & the tamiya shock pliers & the integy style wears fast & cant get a tight enough grip with the tamiyas. Ok just checke 8" bent high leverage diaginal cutters is what they are & probably should mention the knipex 7" locking pliers used for flywheels & more crap than I can remember right now are probably my 3rd or 4th most used tool behind 2 & 2.5mm drivers & pick for cleaning out screw heads. Regular cheapy dykes will also work as long as you dont cut pipe hangers or hardened linkage rods with them,that stuff is super hard.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog