R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   engine temp (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/324966-engine-temp.html)

rememberthis 09-04-2009 05:43 PM

engine temp

I am new to RC tech and the rc world in general. I have a losi 8ight 2.0. I am wondering is the optimal temp to run these buggys at around 200-230 degrees F? My car hit 245 F yesterday (sounded the alarm) and I am trying to richen the mixture. If this doesnt work, are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

slayyer 09-04-2009 05:48 PM

245 isnt really all that bad. i usually run mine at 230 but if it runs good with good smoke trail them 245 would be fine. but yes if you richen it it will get cooler. id say run it at 230-235 but if it runs better a little higher id say keep it there.

rememberthis 09-04-2009 05:59 PM

Well unfortunately, it is heating up quite a bit without me really getting on it that hard. It appears a good amount of oil is leaking from somewhere as it has covered the area near and under the engine, even a little behind the engine. I am pretty sure this is oil from the fuel after it has been combusted, the liquid does not look like fuel. Any ideas?

Alan D. 09-04-2009 06:06 PM

It's oil.
You either have a cracked case, leaking front bearing, maybe even a broken exhaust gasket.

rememberthis 09-04-2009 06:14 PM

Yea, one of those for sure, damn i just got it broken in. Will any of these problems lend to an excessive gain in temperature?

Alan D. 09-04-2009 06:16 PM

If you just broke it in then the oil might be there from just running the motor rich during break in.

Clean it up richen the motor up a tad and re-tune. If the oil spot comes back then there's a problem.

dreaux 09-04-2009 06:24 PM

bad exhaust gasket will soak your chassis.

rememberthis 09-04-2009 07:18 PM

Ok, ill take a better look at it tomorrow, thanks for all the helpful info.

NitroFreakManHo 09-05-2009 08:27 AM

Don't rely on you're temp gun to tune. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true..tune for performance, as long as you still see smoke coming from the exhaust. If you need to temp, do a spit test.

If you have an air leak, you could be chasing a tune all day long...clean your mill, seal it to eliminate any potential leaks, and then retune. Don't bother tuning your engine if you have an air leak, you'll be wasting your time, and fuel, and will only get frustrated. It pays to take the time to seal things up.

mudboger07 09-05-2009 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo (Post 6304323)
Don't rely on you're temp gun to tune. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true..tune for performance, as long as you still see smoke coming from the exhaust. If you need to temp, do a spit test.

If you have an air leak, you could be chasing a tune all day long...clean your mill, seal it to eliminate any potential leaks, and then retune. Don't bother tuning your engine if you have an air leak, you'll be wasting your time, and fuel, and will only get frustrated. It pays to take the time to seal things up.

x1000

I sealed mine before ever ran it and no problems to date, mine also runs in themp from 220 to 260 with no issues....

mendoracer 09-05-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by slayyer (Post 6302327)
245 isnt really all that bad. i usually run mine at 230 but if it runs good with good smoke trail them 245 would be fine. but yes if you richen it it will get cooler. id say run it at 230-235 but if it runs better a little higher id say keep it there.

yeah 245 is nothin i run my nova at 300-325'f hahahahaha:batman:

Buzz3 09-05-2009 08:19 PM

Can you explain the spit test. I understand how to do it, but I forget what relation it has to temps.

TopGearRC 09-05-2009 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by rememberthis (Post 6302344)
Well unfortunately, it is heating up quite a bit without me really getting on it that hard. It appears a good amount of oil is leaking from somewhere as it has covered the area near and under the engine, even a little behind the engine. I am pretty sure this is oil from the fuel after it has been combusted, the liquid does not look like fuel. Any ideas?

Doe your exhaust have a coupler between the manifold and the muffler? tied with zip ties? I'd check that first!!

savage.25 09-05-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by mendoracer (Post 6306193)
yeah 245 is nothin i run my nova at 300-325'f hahahahaha:batman:

hell i ran my .25 stock engine up to 400F one day.. it was ridiculously hot out one day and a friend and i were dinking around with it and stopped checked the temps and said holy fudge and shut er down. that engine used to run really good at around 300-325F and ran like crap where it supposed to run.

EDIT: ya like others have said tune for performance not temp. check the temps every once in a while though..

rememberthis 09-06-2009 02:13 AM

Thanks again for all the info, after a little further inspection it turned out to be a loose high speed needle. I guess it was spitting out gas and sucking in air making it run way too hot.