R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im sold on hitec, but it seems that torque and speed are the deciding factors when it comes to servo pricing.

How much torque do I really need for throttle?

I'd like to find the hitec servo with the required (not overkill) torque, great speed and digital.

For steering I of course want plenty of torque, great speed and digital, which is pricey I know.

I'm focusing on saving $ on throttle but getting good speed, metal gears and digital. I don't want to spend money for torque where it's not needed.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default serv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWrecker View Post
Im sold on hitec, but it seems that torque and speed are the deciding factors when it comes to servo pricing.

How much torque do I really need for throttle?

I'd like to find the hitec servo with the required (not overkill) torque, great speed and digital.

For steering I of course want plenty of torque, great speed and digital, which is pricey I know.

I'm focusing on saving $ on throttle but getting good speed, metal gears and digital. I don't want to spend money for torque where it's not needed.
price for what you get 5985MG
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Tech Adept

So I guess I am resigned to paying just under $200 for servos.

WHat do you guys think of this combo:

Throttle - HS-5965MG

Steering - HS-7954SH

Not so sure about the .15 sec on 6v for steering. Will I really tell the difference between say .10 sec and .15 sec?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Jeez, between servos, 2x AKA tires and center Smart Diff I am already looking at $400 in upgrades and I've ony had this car a week!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Suspended

Quote:
I'm considering this Bluebird 821DMG+HS servo to replace the throttle on my 8ight-B 2.0 RTR.

Any comments?
Fact of life - 'Good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good !'
Avoid the Towerpro's as well
Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I used 1 few of them on a MT I had a few years ago and asked around at the track and someone whom knows his stuff said they actually manufacture for some big company they just have those and they are cheaper. I have to say they never failed me when i had them for about a year as steering on a MT. But if you have it go Hitec I just got a 7985 to try and have an ol 5955 and 5625 on my nitro buggy and the 7985 for my E-buggy.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Hitec is the only thing ill 100% trust with my race rigs......ACE/AE's have treated me very poorly....out of the 6 1015's i have all of them have failed at one point or another and for the fact they hassle you when trying to get warranty isn't appreciated....$ for $ go Hitec and Forget about it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Best servos on the market are Mks made in taiwan high quality reasonable price .

DS660 28.9kg of torque 4.8v-6.0v Great for truggy speed 0.08sec coreless motor

another servo is the

BLS950 12.5kg of torque 4.8v-6.0v great for steering and throttle ,brushless motor,speed 0.11secs
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #24
Tech Addict

I've never heard of those.....I would like to see them. I've been using 7955's for a while and have been very happy. I use them for both t/s and have a couple of extras for back up so no matter which one fails I know it is the same and I theoretically should never have down time as the 4th on can be mailed off for free replacement while the 3rd one is available for back up.
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

Throttle - HS-5965MG

Steering - HS-7954SH

Not so sure about the .15 sec on 6v for steering. Will I really tell the difference between say .10 sec and .15 sec?
Every part is $100.00. Just stay with that mentality and you'll be fine.
NitroAmmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Platinum View Post
I've never heard of those.....I would like to see them. I've been using 7955's for a while and have been very happy. I use them for both t/s and have a couple of extras for back up so no matter which one fails I know it is the same and I theoretically should never have down time as the 4th on can be mailed off for free replacement while the 3rd one is available for back up.
I see you have it all figured out. Nice system, ensures your never left out with a servo. Good thinking!

I have three of the same servo, but now that I think about it when I have sent one in for repair I don't have a back up.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Quote:
Jeez, between servos, 2x AKA tires and center Smart Diff I am already looking at $400 in upgrades and I've ony had this car a week!!!
If your new to racing I think your going overboard with the smart diff. I would hold off on that for a while and invest in the best servos you can. Although faster servos are generally better, based on your limited racing experience, I don't think buying slightly slower servos are going to make a difference for you. What you need now the most is lots of track time, a good setup for your car and the right set of tires for your track. Of course to get lots of track time you have to have decent servos - back to square one.

The short is that most of these cars are highly competitive out of the box and need very little mods. No mod is going to help you more then getting more track time.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:

Throttle - HS-5965MG

Steering - HS-7954SH

Move your stock steering servo to throttle, it will be just fine.

Put a GOOD servo on steering. I personally like the 7955TG.

A-main: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo

I bought mine cheaper than that locally:

http://h1070215.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...prod=HRC37955S (It was $99.95 in the store.)

I ALWAYS try Mike's first for everything. They are usually as cheap as or cheaper than the online shops like A-main.

ALSO... the Hobbico CS-170 is the same thing, (actually as the 5955 I think...) rebranded... and cheaper. Not sure about the warranty though.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRN6 $89.95

As for the bluebird servos lasting a season in 1/10th scale... well... 1/10th scale does not put NEARLY the same demands on a servo as your 1/8 buggy.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Best servos on the market are Mks made in taiwan high quality reasonable price .

DS660 28.9kg of torque 4.8v-6.0v Great for truggy speed 0.08sec coreless motor

another servo is the

BLS950 12.5kg of torque 4.8v-6.0v great for steering and throttle ,brushless motor,speed 0.11secs

best on the market....yet Not a single person ive asked even know's what im talking about when i initially ask them....whaa...Mks ? who's that they ask.

what are the prices like ? warranty ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #30
Tech Elite

I had NEVER!!! had issue's with BlueBird servo's! I have them in ALL my models even in my 1/8scale hydroplane. Great servo's for a reasonable price!