R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)
Default Really loose wheels

Could anyone tell me why this wheel is so loose? The wheel nut is tightened all the way. Ive tried to shorten the camber link but it is still loose even after i do that. Here is a video.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

looks like the ackerman bushing are worn out get the one from a 2.0 and it will last longer

If you can make it I can break it
chris c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Not really familiar with that part. Could you point it out or send me a link?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

there's allowable amount's of slop in all the moving parts of our car's.....your feeling Everything at 1 end.....Hold the camber link and move the wheel...it wiggle's a bit but nothing extreme.....go back and wiggle the link and watch the slop on the anchorman.....there's a bit there again but nothing extreme (unless its the old 1.0 rack which slopped out more then it should).....then once again off the servo saver arm the servo ball ends will have their own bit of slop then there's the servo which isn't even on and your feeling the hair of slop in that also....its all good buddy....slop is your friend in the handling dept....these aren't 1/10-1/12 on road car's.

just noticed its a 1.0 in the vid.....get a 2.0 rack and a lot of that will disappear.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Hardware-20
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Tech Master

I know but its a lot worse when its running. The wheel is wiggling a lot and it is facing inward. Not sure if that means negative camber or what. But all the other tires are fine. That one is just the odd one.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is your tire wiggling alot while sitting still with the servo on? Have you checked your wheel bearings. All the Losi's that I have ever seen have alot of slop in the steering rack. Like the other guy said hold the tie rod end and check the slop at the wheels. If there is still alot check the bearings out if not its probably all in the rack. Chris
SLIM6971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Another thing that can contribute to slop in the wheels is the lack of proper shims on the wheel hexes. Calandra Racing makes a good 8mm shim kit that works excellent on the 8ights, they are really thin so you can get it just right. Calandra part # CLN4738.
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Tech Lord

i rarely if ever need to shim out the axle's....if anything its a .1 and the amount of slop is causes is negligible at best.

check ALL the ball ends for excessive slop...sometimes the alum steering balls will get dirt in them and wear them down till they are flopping around in the ball end.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Losi is notorious for have sloppy suspension, but continue to handle great. The slop is coming from a combination of whole steering and suspenion. Basically a little in the king pins, ball joints, pivot bushings, and ackerman bushings. Just run it like you stole it.
bigde2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Tech Master

Looks like worn bearings & akerman plate holes & some in rod ends & balls. Normal for a losi.Mine did that but ran fine. I just could not deal with all new parts being almost the same slop & bought a car that dont do that. Your choise is new bearings & akerman plate & live with it for a few $ every couple gallons or spend a LOT on a car that dont do that. How much ($) does it realy bother you?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Looks like worn bearings & akerman plate holes & some in rod ends & balls. Normal for a losi.Mine did that but ran fine. I just could not deal with all new parts being almost the same slop & bought a car that dont do that. Your choise is new bearings & akerman plate & live with it for a few $ every couple gallons or spend a LOT on a car that dont do that. How much ($) does it realy bother you?
About the ackerman thing... see post #5710 on this thread: Losi 8ight building and setup

A couple of notes:

1) To keep the drill bit centered, I first dremeled the flat spot in the holes to be more round... THEN drilled the hole as indicated.

2) After I "pressed in" the bushings (actually put the bushings in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then tapped them in gently with a hammer) they weren't really tight enough- they would spin when being drilled. I did a couple of things:

First, I crimped them all around with vice grips... this
expanded the bushing in the hole for a VERY tight fit.

Second, I kept the vice grips in place while I redrilled
the holes. Worked like a charm... I ran them a whole
season with no evidence of wear on either the bolt or
the bushings.

Give that a try to remove some of the slop... and look at the other things mentioned on here too. One thing that folks have overlooked mentioning is the bearings in the servo saver- (and the idler arm on the opposite side that holds the other end of the ackerman...) check those.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Tech Lord

the 2.0 rack is more then worth the 11$ they want for it...No need to go modding 1.0 anchorman's...that was a thing of the past when we didn't have anything 2.0.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Mine was doing the same thing and I didn't care for THAT much slop so I got to looking and found that a lot of it is coming from the wheel hexes, not the wheel nuts. But the actual hex where the pin goes through. Swapped them out for some other 17mm hexes from another vehicle and its a ton better, still has the slop from the suspension just not the wheel wobble
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Tech Prophet

yea im having one wheel on the rear of the eight 1.0 with back and fourth play on the left rear and the right rear is fine ,dont know if the axle cup is worned down or the hex is weared out weird and its tighted all the way
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
Tech Lord

check the back side of the hexes...they have a Small lip that rides on the bearing's that can get worn down and lead to excessive slop...but normally its within .2mm and shouldn't be much of a concern.