R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default SC8 Upgrades?

I know there is a thread, i just want some direct answers. What should i start with? I dont really care about power, a exhaust would be nice, but i want to make the truck stronger sinc3e it will be raced daily. thanks,,,,,,,,,

nick.
offroadjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunky View Post
I know there is a thread, i just want some direct answers. What should i start with? I dont really care about power, a exhaust would be nice, but i want to make the truck stronger sinc3e it will be raced daily. thanks,,,,,,,,,

nick.
Most rc8 parts work on your sc8. As far as making it stronger maybe the aluminum top plate. I haven't broke anything on mine except for the front bumper mounts which I've broke several times. The bodys also take a beating I just use zip ties to hold it together once it starts cracking which is usually the rear fenders. You could upgrade the steering servo and
move the one that's there to throttle duty. The durability is rely good with these things as the bumpers and body take most of the impact.
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:

nick.
I added new servos JR 9100 T & S, and a Werks B5 .21 in mine. The stock motor isn't bad I've won races with it but the run times suck, but if you decide to keep the stock change the pipe I had a JP-2. And change the radio.
If AE made this thing a roller they would sell like crazy.
Eagle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
I added new servos JR 9100 T & S, and a Werks B5 .21 in mine. The stock motor isn't bad I've won races with it but the run times suck, but if you decide to keep the stock change the pipe I had a JP-2. And change the radio.
If AE made this thing a roller they would sell like crazy.
+1 would make a better buy as most want to change stuff straight up.
blade954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade954 View Post
+1 would make a better buy as most want to change stuff straight up.
I have to agree also. Ae needs to pull the rtr stuff out not that's it's that bad but most people will replace it anyways. I think if they did that and lowered the price accordingly we would see alot more of them at the track. I just don't get how anybody would want to run a truggy over one of these. In My opinion truggys are just a concoction of leftover parts whereas the corr trucks and buggys resemble actual race vehicles which definitely adds to the cool factor.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Yeah, im not sure if its my tune as of right now, but payday is today. So im going to get something new for it. Im only on my 3-4th tank . Not sure. I never break it in normally. I just try not to go over half throttle when running it the first couple tanks. And not for more then 2-3 seconds at a time. Its just confusing me a bit. The tune seems off, maybe to lean , not sure. Not the best with big blocks. I think i might go with a .21 too down the road some where. But as of right now, my run time is horrible. Seems like 5-8 mins at the most. With break in.. Is this normal? Also when i go to shut the engine off, it winds up really high now, my t-maxx does not do this so im a little curious. Not to mention the thing was a BITCH and a half to start up yesterday. The stock tune AE says to run, wont even start the engine or getting running. Had it idling but it wouldent get up to temp. And as i eased into the throttle it cut out. So i re ajusted the lowend needle and got it running, idles like a champ. And MAN does this thing have torque.

If anyone as anymore suggestions on to what to set my carb to that would be good. ( Went through a tank and a half yesterday, just trying to get it to go from idle ) .

Thanks so Much! Nick.

And if anyone has aim that is into SC8 and knows there shit, please PM me your AIM or something. I will pay for help.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

It sounds like your on the right track by leaning it out just enough to get it to run decently just make sure your getting plenty of smoke and take it easy for the first 7-8 tanks. If it's not getting up to temp try some tinfoil or a sock around the head to gat it up to 200-210 but make sure and check often so it doesn't get too hot. The pro .28 seems to be a decent motor mine is on gallon 8-9 and still going strong.another thing you want to do is preheat the motor to about 200 degrees before starting till it gets good and broke in. That should help getting it started. I would probably get a backup starter shaft as it seems alot of people including myself have stripped them out. Also pick up some more air filters and oil.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSc8 View Post
It sounds like your on the right track by leaning it out just enough to get it to run decently just make sure your getting plenty of smoke and take it easy for the first 7-8 tanks. If it's not getting up to temp try some tinfoil or a sock around the head to gat it up to 200-210 but make sure and check often so it doesn't get too hot. The pro .28 seems to be a decent motor mine is on gallon 8-9 and still going strong.another thing you want to do is preheat the motor to about 200 degrees before starting till it gets good and broke in. That should help getting it started. I would probably get a backup starter shaft as it seems alot of people including myself have stripped them out. Also pick up some more air filters and oil.
Thanks. Its idling a bit high now. I dunno im not good with this whole tuning the big blocks thing. Its proven difficult. But trial and error i guess. I can hear when it should run good or not, but as of right now it seems to be Alright for break in.. Any other tips ? I have not messed with the settings at all. And its off tuned.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks. Its idling a bit high now. I dunno im not good with this whole tuning the big blocks thing. Its proven difficult. But trial and error i guess. I can hear when it should run good or not, but as of right now it seems to be Alright for break in.. Any other tips ? I have not messed with the settings at all. And its off tuned.
I don't want to 'burst' your bubble of happiness BUT *IF* the engine idles 'forever' and *IF* it comes in with a fast idle it's very possble that you have your low end too lean - as you richen it out it *should* drop the idle some..... and it's possible that you have the idle set too high too.... BUT, if the engine is properly tuned it won't 'idle forever' - it will load up and die - not immediately but it will do so....

A good test is the pinch test - and if I remember correctly it's covered in the engine break in section of the Nitro Off Road section of this forum....

As a word of encouragement, the Associated/Thunder Tiger engines have never been particularly easy to tune - as is the case with many engines made in Taiwan. BUT, when tuned properly, they tend to stay that way! So, keep the faith, be patient and look in the section on break in and I'm sure that you'll get this worked out!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Hey ORJ here are some shots
of the BCE RC8T Chassis, guys have
had alot of good things to say regarding
increased steering, handling, and overall durebility
it also allows the center diff to mount
direct to the chassis help lowering the CG.
if you need more info staff@bcespeed com
Here is some reading
"All i can say is BCE rocks. I ran my chassis for the first time this weekend at our pro series race and all I can say is I'm not worthy. My truck had so much steering and control I really didn't know what to do with it. My truck was definitely fast, I just couldn't get it together. It reacted quicker, turn in phenominal and mid corner steering great. I just need a little time with it and its on. I qual mid pack in the b-main due to not having any time on the track and basically my first qual was my best. I was trying different setups in the other quals to see which worked best. tire selection was my downfall in the end and a new plug trying to foul on me.. I'll post the video as soon as I can figure out this camera. "

"Put the BCE Chassis in 3rd At the Ohio State Fair Shootout this weekend in Truggy."

http://crcrc.blogspot.com/2009/08/oh...9-results.html

Last edited by NITROALM; 09-04-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added text
NITROALM is offline   Reply With Quote