Wiki Posts
Search

Losi clutch probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Losi clutch probs

1. My Losi8 clutch seems to blow bearings really quick and overheats wayyyyy too easily. The carbon shoes aren't lasting at all. I have it shimmed with about .5mm or less of endplay. I did notice that the larger bearing is not terribly easy to get off the shaft. I have a King Headz motor mount so I have the option to use a 3 shoe clutch system. Is this a common problem? Anyone else prefer the 3 shoe? Are there vented bells for the Losi? I'm frustrated so any help would be great!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Tech Prophet

are u using the gold springs on the carbons cause that defiely wears them quick and get hot also , are u using silver springs on the alum they wear a little faster not much though, i use the silver on the alum and green on the carbons and they still look good ,as for the bearings are u using cemetric bearings in the clutch cause u want to shim them looser, i use regualr bearings on my and have it shimmed with a tick of play i use the stock engine mount also,as for 3 clutch shoe it would proberty be smoother thats for sure u dont like the 4 shoe i like it caue it hits hard
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like you might have your gear mesh too tight as well, that will eat up bearings quickly! Chassis has alot of flex, needs a lil more than most buggies when it comes to the mesh...
Old 09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Wall
Sounds like you might have your gear mesh too tight as well, that will eat up bearings quickly! Chassis has alot of flex, needs a lil more than most buggies when it comes to the mesh...

X2 if your mesh is super tight it will eat bearing's....and if you have the shoes stalled up then the clutch will get hot and fail way sooner then it should...in reality the only time you need to go higher then the stock set-up would be with a real Weak motor that didn't have the power to push the stock setting's.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

make sure when doing clutches to get all the grease out of the clutch bearings. Take the seal of one side of the bearing and just leave it out. Spray brake cleaner inside and blow out. If the grease gets hot and melts while running it gets on things and your clutch slips.

You also could be running to hard of springs allowing the clutch to slip.

Once a losi 4 shoe is set up properly it is a great clutch and IMO much ahead of whats out there.

Also go to the losi forums available on www.teamlosi.com and you can ask questions and get help from the team on that site
Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

I'm running the stock clutch set-up as far as springs go. My mesh is really quite loose (because I have read about the flex issues.). What are the next softer as far as springs are concerned? The carbon shoes are leaving a ton of residue even after short runs. thats what is getting me... How long should carbon shoes last?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piranha21
I'm running the stock clutch set-up as far as springs go. My mesh is really quite loose (because I have read about the flex issues.). What are the next softer as far as springs are concerned? The carbon shoes are leaving a ton of residue even after short runs. thats what is getting me... How long should carbon shoes last?
You have taken a very important part of the clutch out in the "alum" shoes. It seems that your track surface has to much bite for the carbon shoes. Carbon is used for slick, bumpy tracks, because they slip. Add in Aluminum and it helps the clutch grab better.

When you put your clutch in did you prepare the inside of the bell by sanding?

Did you get the grease out of the bearings?

Do you clean by spraying wd-40 on things and blowing off?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

I sanded the inside of the clutchbell, then cleaned with motor spray. I haven't tried 4 aluminum shoes bc people said it would be too much snap. Maybe try 4 al?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

no, dont put all 4 aluminum, thats more for a truggy but use 2 carbon and 2 aluminum with gold spring in carbon and silver in the alums. that should work out. you want a harder spring also not softer. and gold is hard
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you're having issues out of the Losi setup; you'll likely have issues out of another as well.

Most clutch issues come from no or improper maintenance.

How many tanks are you running before having issues?

How many tanks do you run before performing any kind of cleaning/maintenance?

Are you bashing at all or only running on a track? Grass and other unpacked surfaces put a LOT more load on a clutch than any kind of prepped race track.

The normal green/gold carbon/al shoe setup works well; I've also run 2-carbon 2-blue Losi aluminums with all-gold springs and it works very nicely as well. No heat issue or excess wear when running on a fairly high bite track.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Prophet

how come nobody uses the green springs on the carbons i use them they seem to make it smoother if u ask me and it doesnt seem to get as much dust/wear on the carbons i still use the silvers on the alum
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Prophet

hows the 2 carbon and 2 alum work out on truggy ,do they ware them out to fast is that why u want a alum or no enough punch
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mblgjr
If you're having issues out of the Losi setup; you'll likely have issues out of another as well.

Most clutch issues come from no or improper maintenance.

How many tanks are you running before having issues?***Probably on average probably 3

How many tanks do you run before performing any kind of cleaning/maintenance? ***After every race. Approx 1 hor of runtime

Are you bashing at all or only running on a track? Grass and other unpacked surfaces put a LOT more load on a clutch than any kind of prepped race track. ***Track only

The normal green/gold carbon/al shoe setup works well; I've also run 2-carbon 2-blue Losi aluminums with all-gold springs and it works very nicely as well. No heat issue or excess wear when running on a fairly high bite track.
As far as 3 shoe clutch, I ran them for a long time without any issues really. I feel like I'm just setting something up wrong.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I run 2 alum. and 2 carbon with greens and blacks springs. Very little wear and very smoth.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Prophet

hows the black springs work on the carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.