R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brake / Servo Problem

Im still having trouble with my brakes sticking, cant figure it out!

Ok so with the engine off I trim my throttle servo until there is no catch from the brakes. I then start my buggy, let it warm up, put it on the floor, without applying any brake or throttle make sure there is no grab from brakes, none, give the throttle a gentle squeeze turn it around and the brakes are on when throttle off???

Why would this change after simply applying a bit of throttle? I checked the linkages and although I dont know much about how it all works I got the rod that goes to carby, thats secure and working fine. Then on top of horn on other side there is another rod, cant work out what this does, looks like its just a guide because its loose and when i tighten it doesnt allow the servo to move. Same side but underneath there is another rod, also secure which I believe operates the brakes.

I adjusted the trim so much that the idle raised, ran it for not even half tank and the brakes were catching after a while. Its got me stuffed, I want to fix it quick because I think this is putting allot of stress under the clutch and motor, not to mention wearing out my breaks prematurly.

I have also checked the discs, all flat and smooth.
sperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you sure the brake cams are turned right?
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

What car are you running?

I had this issue with my Jammin X2 buggy. I had to ream out the holes where the beaks posts lay into and put some green slime in there.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i had the same problem with the z01b team buggy, i tried making the holes bigger and that didn't really help. I realized that when i tightened down my top plate i was placing too much pressure on the brake cams vertically, so to fix this i placed a washer under each corner of the top plate where the screws go through. this raised the top plate just a little bit and relieved the pressure. they now work great. hope this helped.
fievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Tech Addict

oh that's a good idea too!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Just found it what it is. Visit local hobby shop and we had a play with it, front linkage that comes of throttle servo horn is slight bent (no idea how) and intermittently sticking, need to pull it out and try to straighten.

Certainly not the best designed system out there, thats what you get when you buy a cheap buggy though.

Do you think it would still work if i disconnected the front brake altogether? Im not racing this so i dont care if outhers can outbrake me. Wondering if it will snap sideways if its rear brakes only.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Tech Addict

as long as your break when you are going straight it wouldn't matter.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Thanks, I might try and run just the rear because I dont think the front are ever going to be reliable.