R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/324433-ultrasonic-parts-cleaner.html)

jimbobjoejackjr 09-02-2009 10:35 AM

Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner?

Anybody use one of these to clean parts?
dubdubdub.rc-mushroom.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=15946

Took my Hyper 8 and 8ight to the track last Friday followed with some beach bashing on Saturday (not a good idea) and they are a mess. I watched Squirrel's video on cleaning but I was wanting to get more deep cleaning on smaller parts that I need to rebuild such as shocks and one of my carburetors. Anybody use one to clean bearings also? What solution do you use? Many of them suggest plain water... guess it wouldn't hurt if you blew it off with compressed air after the bath.

elkman 09-02-2009 10:40 AM

This may sound silly....but

I put smaller rc parts parts in a cool whip bowl and fill it 1/2 way with simple green/water mix 50/50 and put it on top of my husky upright 30 gallon air compressor in the garage. When I turn it on it vibrates like a mother scooter. It vibracleans the parts excellent. I have even put bowls of the wifes jewelry in a jewlery cleaning solution and it too does a great job.This works pretty damned good at cleaning out wheel bearings by the way

TopGearRC 09-02-2009 01:24 PM

Considering the cost of wheel bearings or clutch bearings for that matter ($1/piece) its not worth the time to clean the old ones unless you don't have any new ones sittings around and you have to run your nitro.

helivaguy 09-02-2009 03:30 PM

i use one when rebuilding engines and carbs,also good for wheel bearings.
got mine from harbor freight.

jimbobjoejackjr 09-03-2009 03:28 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Good tip on the Harbor Freight.

Brian Alderman 09-03-2009 04:17 PM

i use the odonnell wash, just soak it down and let it set for 5 mins then air it off, repeat until desired cleanliness. i do this with mine and they look brand new when i get done, plus a bottle is only 10 bucks.

megasaxon 09-03-2009 04:27 PM

Simple green all the way, i use it on all my stuff, cleans dirt off pretty well and leave tire a little sticky sometimes = great traction

helivaguy 09-03-2009 05:28 PM

ultrasonic cleaners clean inside and outside of the part.. also i just started to sonicate my pipes and headers with this method..amazing!
for big simple peicess such as suspension parts,chassis,wheels,etc simple green,spray-nine and 409 work excellent:D.

xxxtcr 09-03-2009 05:40 PM

wd40, water, then wd40 again, air nozzle= car looks like new, bearings arent crap, and the squeeks are gone

(this is a race weekend tip, I would not recommend this as a normal form of car care, rust will get the best of you :P)

helivaguy 09-03-2009 05:56 PM

oily mess,wet mess,then oily mess again,then have have blown all over the place with nozzle= aggravation..squeeks are gone but will come back.

ok method if you pressed for time i guess.