R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default toro nero question

Chaps,

I have put around a gallon of fuel through my toro nero, it was done at the proline international and it has similar compression to my 4.5 gallon old 367.

I ran the toro on Rb fuel (25%) and the tune had smoke through the range that only tettered off a top rpm still some though. It was temping after coming off the track at 210 - 227 f so it hasnt over heated and the head on the piston is black from where it was run rich.

Should i worry or is it okay, just a bit shocked that its got the same amount of compression as an older engine but maybe the newer nova's done have the brutal metal pinch and strain as the older nova's?
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Default How is it running?

I would base the engine health by how well it is running not by comparing it to another engine. I understand that those toro's are some badassed engines! If your temps stay consistent like they are you should be good to go.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
I would base the engine health by how well it is running not by comparing it to another engine. I understand that those toro's are some badassed engines! If your temps stay consistent like they are you should be good to go.

+1, the Toro, Plus 4 etc...come from novarossi with some kind of semi pre run done to them, not 100% sure how it is done at novarossi, but it is not like the other motors in the past, The FMS is like the old novas as far as the amount of pinch they have out of the box, some plus 4's have had nothing done at all, you get spoiled when you go through alot of Toro's and Plus 4s with the light pinch, then get one that has a heavy pinch lol
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
+1, the Toro, Plus 4 etc...come from novarossi with some kind of semi pre run done to them, not 100% sure how it is done at novarossi, but it is not like the other motors in the past, The FMS is like the old novas as far as the amount of pinch they have out of the box, some plus 4's have had nothing done at all, you get spoiled when you go through alot of Toro's and Plus 4s with the light pinch, then get one that has a heavy pinch lol
u saying the to ro nero / plus 4 are broken in from the factory??
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythai View Post
u saying the to ro nero / plus 4 are broken in from the factory??

Not neccesaalrly fully brokein, maybe laped or cycled in some way, 98% of them i have been through, have had a much lighter pinch than the ones that were not, and also the sleeve has signs of TDC abrasion's, so the motor at some point has been either ran, lapped, or simply they are not producing them as tight as the older nova's and fms.
Check us out on Facebook
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I would say no...
They have in the tunned versions a run-in, but I'd still give at least half a gallon of the usual break in.
I consider the run-in - as I call it - that Novarossi does, like a test, again, I would definetly do the whole break-in process once I have it on my hands.

The reason should be newer high quality material revisions and tooling standards that give better and "freer" tolerances in the production process. I think it's actually awsome for the rods .

All in all, to me pinch and - to call it this way, "static" blow-by, are overated, at the speeds that this pistons move, the time available for dynamic blow-by is nothing. Pinch is friction, I don't want that in my engine. All I care is that the engine pulls from a stop with fluid power no "2 speed" type of pull, and that it does not flame out. If you have that, compression is good enough.

I have 2 FMS's and thay where pretty easy to break in, no pinch at all, but I've heard of other's like twister's here that where tough as nails too haha.

Well, some pinch, but you know what I mean...
X

Last edited by maxflo777; 09-01-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I would say no...
They have in the tunned versions a run-in, but I'd still give at least half a gallon of the usual break in.
I consider the run-in - as I call it - that Novarossi does, like a test, again, I would definetly do the whole break-in process once I have it on my hands.

The reason should be newer high quality material revisions and tooling standards that give better and "freer" tolerances in the production process. I think it's actually awsome for the rods .

All in all, to me pinch and - to call it this way, "static" blow-by, are overated, at the speeds that this pistons move, the time available for dynamic blow-by is nothing. Pinch is friction, I don't want that in my engine. All I care is that the engine pulls from a stop with fluid power no "2 speed" type of pull, and that it does not flame out. If you have that, compression is good enough.

I have 2 FMS's and thay where pretty easy to break in, no pinch at all, but I've heard of other's like twister's here that where tough as nails too haha.

X

yeah, i really dont care what there doing to them, we breakin every motor anyway
Check us out on Facebook
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I would say no...

X

i really hate breakin in motors. what sort of novarossi series has them broken in??
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Tech Regular

For all I know, all the newer ones, I'm modifiying a new 353 '09 right now and it's loose too, the pistons go up on them like if they had a gallon through them.

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote