R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London (england)
Posts: 358
Default toro nero question

Chaps,

I have put around a gallon of fuel through my toro nero, it was done at the proline international and it has similar compression to my 4.5 gallon old 367.

I ran the toro on Rb fuel (25%) and the tune had smoke through the range that only tettered off a top rpm still some though. It was temping after coming off the track at 210 - 227 f so it hasnt over heated and the head on the piston is black from where it was run rich.

Should i worry or is it okay, just a bit shocked that its got the same amount of compression as an older engine but maybe the newer nova's done have the brutal metal pinch and strain as the older nova's?
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default How is it running?

I would base the engine health by how well it is running not by comparing it to another engine. I understand that those toro's are some badassed engines! If your temps stay consistent like they are you should be good to go.
__________________
"He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it"
Neal Peart / Geddy Lee
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
Mr. Twister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hendersonville Tn
Posts: 1,271
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
I would base the engine health by how well it is running not by comparing it to another engine. I understand that those toro's are some badassed engines! If your temps stay consistent like they are you should be good to go.

+1, the Toro, Plus 4 etc...come from novarossi with some kind of semi pre run done to them, not 100% sure how it is done at novarossi, but it is not like the other motors in the past, The FMS is like the old novas as far as the amount of pinch they have out of the box, some plus 4's have had nothing done at all, you get spoiled when you go through alot of Toro's and Plus 4s with the light pinch, then get one that has a heavy pinch lol
__________________
Brian Carey
615-838-5373
Tennessee Oval Performance
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 604
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
+1, the Toro, Plus 4 etc...come from novarossi with some kind of semi pre run done to them, not 100% sure how it is done at novarossi, but it is not like the other motors in the past, The FMS is like the old novas as far as the amount of pinch they have out of the box, some plus 4's have had nothing done at all, you get spoiled when you go through alot of Toro's and Plus 4s with the light pinch, then get one that has a heavy pinch lol
u saying the to ro nero / plus 4 are broken in from the factory??
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
Mr. Twister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hendersonville Tn
Posts: 1,271
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythai View Post
u saying the to ro nero / plus 4 are broken in from the factory??

Not neccesaalrly fully brokein, maybe laped or cycled in some way, 98% of them i have been through, have had a much lighter pinch than the ones that were not, and also the sleeve has signs of TDC abrasion's, so the motor at some point has been either ran, lapped, or simply they are not producing them as tight as the older nova's and fms.
__________________
Brian Carey
615-838-5373
Tennessee Oval Performance
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 380
Default

I would say no...
They have in the tunned versions a run-in, but I'd still give at least half a gallon of the usual break in.
I consider the run-in - as I call it - that Novarossi does, like a test, again, I would definetly do the whole break-in process once I have it on my hands.

The reason should be newer high quality material revisions and tooling standards that give better and "freer" tolerances in the production process. I think it's actually awsome for the rods .

All in all, to me pinch and - to call it this way, "static" blow-by, are overated, at the speeds that this pistons move, the time available for dynamic blow-by is nothing. Pinch is friction, I don't want that in my engine. All I care is that the engine pulls from a stop with fluid power no "2 speed" type of pull, and that it does not flame out. If you have that, compression is good enough.

I have 2 FMS's and thay where pretty easy to break in, no pinch at all, but I've heard of other's like twister's here that where tough as nails too haha.

Well, some pinch, but you know what I mean...
X

Last edited by maxflo777; 09-01-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Mr. Twister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hendersonville Tn
Posts: 1,271
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I would say no...
They have in the tunned versions a run-in, but I'd still give at least half a gallon of the usual break in.
I consider the run-in - as I call it - that Novarossi does, like a test, again, I would definetly do the whole break-in process once I have it on my hands.

The reason should be newer high quality material revisions and tooling standards that give better and "freer" tolerances in the production process. I think it's actually awsome for the rods .

All in all, to me pinch and - to call it this way, "static" blow-by, are overated, at the speeds that this pistons move, the time available for dynamic blow-by is nothing. Pinch is friction, I don't want that in my engine. All I care is that the engine pulls from a stop with fluid power no "2 speed" type of pull, and that it does not flame out. If you have that, compression is good enough.

I have 2 FMS's and thay where pretty easy to break in, no pinch at all, but I've heard of other's like twister's here that where tough as nails too haha.

Well, some pinch, but you know what I mean...
X

yeah, i really dont care what there doing to them, we breakin every motor anyway
__________________
Brian Carey
615-838-5373
Tennessee Oval Performance
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 604
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I would say no...
They have in the tunned versions a run-in, but I'd still give at least half a gallon of the usual break in.
I consider the run-in - as I call it - that Novarossi does, like a test, again, I would definetly do the whole break-in process once I have it on my hands.

The reason should be newer high quality material revisions and tooling standards that give better and "freer" tolerances in the production process. I think it's actually awsome for the rods .

All in all, to me pinch and - to call it this way, "static" blow-by, are overated, at the speeds that this pistons move, the time available for dynamic blow-by is nothing. Pinch is friction, I don't want that in my engine. All I care is that the engine pulls from a stop with fluid power no "2 speed" type of pull, and that it does not flame out. If you have that, compression is good enough.

I have 2 FMS's and thay where pretty easy to break in, no pinch at all, but I've heard of other's like twister's here that where tough as nails too haha.

Well, some pinch, but you know what I mean...
X

i really hate breakin in motors. what sort of novarossi series has them broken in??
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 380
Default

For all I know, all the newer ones, I'm modifiying a new 353 '09 right now and it's loose too, the pistons go up on them like if they had a gallon through them.

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houstons Engine Service H.E.S. houston Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 8821 06-17-2017 12:29 PM
New Novarossi .21 Toro Nero 7Ports Xchange Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 263 06-30-2014 04:55 AM
Pro Twister Mods skeller Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 2306 08-23-2011 10:11 PM
temp tunning question jbeane Nitro Off-Road 11 05-25-2009 07:04 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:50 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net