Wiki Posts
Search

.21 Truggy Engine Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default .21 Truggy Engine Recommendations

I'm looking at getting a new engine for my D8T when my VG finally goes (got it used just so I could get used to the truck) and I'm down to 4 choices - the vz-b, the rb products s7 (because i have one at the shop that's in stock), the new reedy .21, and the dynamite platinum xp .21. I've had great experiences with the dynamite platinum engines (had a .12re in my gt2 and the thing was phenomenal) but everyone at the track runs the vz-b - being in college i obviously need an engine that won't cost me an arm and a leg, but I still want something that will push a truggy around fairly well while maintaining decent fuel mileage (I get 5 mins out of my vg - i drive with the throttle not the wheel) - thanks for any pros/cons you can help to provide. please don't bash any of them as they're all decent quality and I sell this stuff every day so I know none of it's terrible.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

I have a platnium xp in my buggy and like it
Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

out of the ones you listed the vspec will give you the best power and still get good fuel economy
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Their are better choices out their..and all for about the same $$$$

Novarossi N21BF Limited Edition .21 Off Road 3 Port Buggy ($149)

SCRATCH & DENT: Sirio S21 CL3B Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine w/Pipe & Clutch ($249..due to packaging problems the pipe is scratched..not dented)

RB Concept Killer 9 Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) $229

OFNA Jammin JPX.21 Plus Off Road Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) $229

Team Orion Alpha .21 Competition Off Road Buggy Engine (Standard Plug) $199

Go Technology .21 3 Port Race Engine (Turbo) $179

The Jammin JPX .21 has great power and its one of the best (if not the best) lower priced motors on the market..it will run with ANY of the high priced motors on the market....and they seem to hold up really really well..
Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i forgot to mention that i'm using an associated factory team pipe and header combo which will also be used on my new engine. thanks for the input guys - if anyone else has any imput please post!

i currently run 20% in my vg but will probably bump back to 30% for my new engine as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis

The Jammin JPX .21 has great power and its one of the best (if not the best) lower priced motors on the market..it will run with ANY of the high priced motors on the market....and they seem to hold up really really well..
yea the jammin engine has GOBS of power. i love mine.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Novarossi N21BF will need a 14T CB for your D8T as I have used it. Decent engine but it is what it is for the price. Small tracks it will do you good...larger track with a long straight it will get ran down.
I just picked up a RB Concept Rally 9 for the D8T.
Will start breaking it in this weekend so I will report back in a about a gal or so.
I have ran an older RB Concept WS7 II 3X and it was killer!
I went the the RB Concept Killer 9 for my D8.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Jammin JPX .21 can't be beat for the price.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Why run 30%..it cost more and seems to be harder on your motors for a small performance gain..save your money on the fuel and buy a better motor..
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I know there are heaps of people that don't like the v-spec, but its awesome in my truggy. I'm running a 8mm carb restricter and get around 10 min on a smallish tight track. This is my second v-spec (got one in my buggy too), and I'm really happy with it.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Of the motors you listed, the Vspec and the Reedy are good choices. Rb's are good, but I think you get a little more with both the VZB and the Reedy motors. If you had a little more, I'd even go out and say the Ninja JX series is even better. If you are looking at the Ninja line, make sure you choose the JX series and not the MR series. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I absolutly love os engines. Personally I run the speed engines in my opinon they are at the top of the pile. Great runtime smooth power and pleanty of top and bottom. If you don't want to pop the coin on the speed then go with the vspec it os easy to tune great power andgood runtime. I would not put that nova limited 2100bf in a truggy you will be wanting more engine. The nova is a great little engine but truggys are just too heavy for it unles you want an engine on the lowerpower side, some drivers do. Yo can't go wrong with the os vspec perfect engine.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My only concern with the VSPEC is that it is not particularly long-lived in a truggy. Great engine, plenty of power, great runtimes... for 3-4 gallons. In a buggy they last a lot longer.

The RB WS7 will have plenty of power and last a LONG time if you treat it right.

I've heard good things about the Jammin, and the Ninja...

I have a BF21 Limited that I'm trying out in my truck, and so far it is good, but it is NOT stock, it is modded... so you really can't go by how that one does. I don't know how long it will live either- but with only 1/2 gallon on it (not really even broken in good) it has plenty of power and I'm getting 10 minute runtimes.

The modded BF21 will cost about what a VSPEC does... if I get more than 4-5 gallons out of it I'll be very happy.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For power and runtime the v spec is hard to top. However, since the crank pin wears out so fast they will not find their way back into my vehicle. I had 2 of them and love the way they run. If you find somewhere that will DLC coat the crank or put a ninja jx crank in it then go for it. With the additional money you need to spend the better choice from OS is the jx ninja. It's a better v spec. I run speed motors only now but will be adding a jx to my collection shortly.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have to agree also with the JX. I also run speeds and am very impressed with the JX motors. A good friend runs the JX and to me it's well worth the price with the crank coating, stronger case, and OS quality. I'm strongly thinking of adding one as well when the time comes.

I have to say that when i was running the RBS7, WS7, and the older C5 that after break in RB recommended changing out the rod. Also, if you broke it in cold, I've seen a S7 crank pin become elongated. This was a few years back when I was running RB's, they are good motors, and they may have changed since then. Just something to look into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.