R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Intermittent braking problem

Hello everyone,

Hoping you can help me with an intermittent braking problem im having with my el chepo 1:8 nitro buggy.

Sometimes when I get off the throttle and let it roll the brake apply, sometimes slightly and sometimes firm.

I tried trimming it yeasterday, got it to a point where neutral on radio it rolls fine, no resistance, ran it a couple of times and the brakes are on again!

What could be causeing this? Im hoping its not the clutch. Any ideas?

Im not too familiar how the brakes on these things work.
sperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

What this video on setting up your brakes. If your still having issues then its probably something else. What buggy do you have ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kbmqWN9Uw
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Are you sure your brake rotors are not warped?
Or if you are running composite rotors have you sanded them at all to renew them causing a thick spot.
Get the calipers out and check the thickness in many places and then check on a known piece of flat metal to see if they are warped?
I think it sounds like you are describing them grabbing unexpectedly when other spots of the brakes are not grabbing - but I'm not there to see it!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
What this video on setting up your brakes. If your still having issues then its probably something else. What buggy do you have ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kbmqWN9Uw
Thanks for the link, ill have a look at it tonight (at work, dont want to get caught on youtube)
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post
Are you sure your brake rotors are not warped?
Or if you are running composite rotors have you sanded them at all to renew them causing a thick spot.
Get the calipers out and check the thickness in many places and then check on a known piece of flat metal to see if they are warped?
I think it sounds like you are describing them grabbing unexpectedly when other spots of the brakes are not grabbing - but I'm not there to see it!
Thanks for the info. Not sure what type of rotors I have, kinda new to this. Had a look before and they look composite, with a clamp on each side that would obviously do the braking.

Looks like the calipers screw with side of rotor, should I just undo these screws or take the whole drive shaft out and inspect?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba

You may also want to check how smooth your linkage action is. It's possible you have some binding in your throttle/brake linkages which isn't allowing the servo to return all the way to center. I ran into a similar problem where there was some sticking on my throttle linkage so when coming down from WOT to idle the servo had to work to get back to center. Adjusted my collar & horn position and resolved it.

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
You may also want to check how smooth your linkage action is. It's possible you have some binding in your throttle/brake linkages which isn't allowing the servo to return all the way to center. I ran into a similar problem where there was some sticking on my throttle linkage so when coming down from WOT to idle the servo had to work to get back to center. Adjusted my collar & horn position and resolved it.
Thanks, I have a feeling it might be in the linkage system, something not tight or something sticking, have a good look when I get home tonight coz I want to race my friend during lunch break tommorow (we get an hour over here so plenty of time). Will let you know on the results.