R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Nitro tuning issue? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/323934-nitro-tuning-issue.html)

rememberthis 08-31-2009 01:22 PM

Nitro tuning issue?

Hi, I have recently broken my losi 8ight 2.0 rtr buggy and encountered a problem post-tuning. Yesterday i ran it on the local track and it was running a little rich, I did not have time to really get it tuned so i packed it up and decided to to tune it today. I leaned everything up a bit (tuned according to "the tuning bible" the manual and some advice of my local rc enthusiasts), and the car was running great for about one tank of gas. All of a sudden the engine lost all its power, it could not even climb up the minor slope of the driveway. I am seriously dumbfounded at this and am hoping this is not a serious issue. I suspect a fouled glow plug, although i am not certain a fouled plug can have such a drastic effect on performance. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

killabud 08-31-2009 01:27 PM

Did the motor suddenly get very rich when the power went away? Sometimes when a motor finally gets run in it can gets very rich and the temps drop. Try to explain what it sounds like at the moment.

rememberthis 08-31-2009 01:42 PM

Well the sound of the engine did not change, or if it did it was a very minor change. I don't think the mixture drastically became richer at the moment i lost power. I just took a look at my glow plug, it was fouled so I changed it (presumably from yesterday). I started the car and the engine will rev but the car will not move at all however the wheels will spin if i pick the car up and rev it a little. Maybe this is a clutch or clutch spring issue?

fatdaddy 08-31-2009 02:02 PM

clutch is always a good place to check if you have weird issues going on.

what are your motor temps?

rememberthis 08-31-2009 02:05 PM

My motor temps ranged from 195-205 degree F. Does this sound like a clutch problem or something much worse?

fatdaddy 08-31-2009 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by rememberthis (Post 6282584)
My motor temps ranged from 195-205 degree F. Does this sound like a clutch problem or something much worse?

it should still make some power at that range. i would definately check the clutch first, but its possible the balls have finally dropped on the motor and you can start leaning it out

rememberthis 08-31-2009 02:18 PM

Ok, thanks for the help fatdaddy, ill go check that stuff out, hopefully get it going again soon!

fatdaddy 08-31-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by rememberthis (Post 6282624)
Ok, thanks for the help fatdaddy, ill go check that stuff out, hopefully get it going again soon!

its all good :)

get that thing down to the track and get racing! :D

j_blaze14 09-01-2009 01:49 PM

sound like flywheel nut loose? broken cvd or fallen pin, blown diff, loose grub screw on pinion. could be many things.