R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default MBX6T Body Paint Flaking

Hi Guys,

Down here in Australia were having issues with our MBX6T bodies paint flaking off and ruining our bodies that in some cases have taken several hours and of course a bit of cash to paint up.

I emailed Mugen Japan and was told it was the first they had heard about it and maybe we were all doing something to our shells (seeing I only really know about our club guys)

So I thought I'd start this thread to see if this is a common issue that everyone is putting up with or down in AUS we're just unlucky

Thanks
Michael
dvestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had this issue with my body as well...

After about 2 race meets it jut flakes away like nothing, I am thinking it is because the lack of thickness and great amount of flex during the normal bashing's of offroad racing...

I have had 1 body with enormous amounts of paint flaking which is why I have moved to the thicker J Concepts body.. Along with many other of my local track drivers are experiencing these issues (along with DVESTATE)...

Unfortunately I have paid to get one of these "paint flaking bodies" to be airbrushed, this was before I was aware of the issue...

In conclusion, YES
Daniel.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Interesting. I assume the bodies were properly prepared before painting. Washed, then cleaned with denatured alcohol, appropriate paint for lexan....

I've not had this issue... Paint is holding up well.
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I can't speak for everyone about the method they used but I know my shells were correctly prepaired. I've had not issue with my last 5T body but that was a Proline Shell
Old 08-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, very clean. One of the guys that owns one with this problem has painted HEAPS of bodies, Heaps, he even roughed the surface of the last one to try & help.... didn't. It's only the MBX6T bodies, Jconcept bodies are fine & no other cars at the track have any probs.
MassiveMods A Main Blue Dot C2
Spectrum DX3R, 2 x Ace 1015
Blackie001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Tech Elite

ive got 2 bodies and not one problem,the rest of the guys in our area have no problem. maybe you guys down under need to hold the can upside down so it sprays right?lol that sucks tho guys, are you washing the body b4 painting?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I haven't had any issues with any of the Mugen bodies. Either painted by me or by a pro. What I have had issues with lately is Tamiya fluorescent paints. It seems to flake off of the two MP9 bodies I have, which I haven't seen happen with before.It comes off clean, like there was no bonding to the Lexan what so ever. I was told to try scuffing the painted areas as a fix to get the paint to stick better.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I haven't had any issues with any of the Mugen bodies. Either painted by me or by a pro. What I have had issues with lately is Tamiya fluorescent paints. It seems to flake off of the two MP9 bodies I have, which I haven't seen happen with before.It comes off clean, like there was no bonding to the Lexan what so ever. I was told to try scuffing the painted areas as a fix to get the paint to stick better.
But wouldn't that ruin the body? I mean, the u'll see scratches all over the thing.
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
But wouldn't that ruin the body? I mean, the u'll see scratches all over the thing.
Nope...I used this method for years and it works! I take a green scratch pad (really fine grit type) and while under running water, I lightly scuff the areas that will be painted (not the windows or anything you will leave clear). Do this in a circular motion. I then clean the body with dish deteregent to remove the oils from hands and lexan molds. Some people use Denatured Alcohol. Make sure you dry the body with a lint free towel. After you paint it, you won't notice any scratches and the paint adheres really good!
ST RR Evo: Ninja BO2/OS 2060/KO RSx servos
sugelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Tech Master

Running mine since the first week they came out with no issue. (Tamiya white).
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

My problem was with Tamiya flourescent red. It flakes off clean and the body is clear. No bonding to the lexan.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Thats interesting about the fluro Tamiya paints, I know they are used on my shell for the front section. Doesn't sound like a big issue but I know that not everyone is using the Tamiya Paints.

The holding the can upside down idea might be an idea too
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
Nope...I used this method for years and it works! I take a green scratch pad (really fine grit type) and while under running water, I lightly scuff the areas that will be painted (not the windows or anything you will leave clear). Do this in a circular motion. I then clean the body with dish deteregent to remove the oils from hands and lexan molds. Some people use Denatured Alcohol. Make sure you dry the body with a lint free towel. After you paint it, you won't notice any scratches and the paint adheres really good!
I was the guy that painted DV's bodies and many others in the past including my own, I done this in the quote and always have, and had no problems in the past untill now with the stock 6T body's, including mine !

W Walker's body was air brushed by a pro and it is also pealing off.

It has got to be the LEXAN used in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not saying anyone's wrong or right but i use the clear stuff that makes paint adhere better before i put the color on. I read about it in RC Driver i believe and it does work. It's a specail paint adhesion solution and i even used the yellow safety paint that road crews and such use, it wasn't even made for lexan but that bonding agent does work.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought a mugen MBX6-T body to put on my Xray XT8 2009 spec. It's been a bit over a month since I've painted it, and I've had zero issues with paint flaking.

What brand of paint are you guys using?

I use lacquer based paints only. mainly Pactra, and Spaztix. They work awesome and adhere better than any paint I know.

I've seen some people here in The Midwest United States use Tamiya paints and they have flaked off horribly. mainly white and the flourescent colors I've heard are problematic.

also, I don't know what the weather is like down under, but a lot of humidity in the air can affect paint adhesion.