R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Houston. Is it okay for me to run my ninja without the copper shim and just the head gasket with 20% nitro?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Houston. Is it okay for me to run my ninja without the copper shim and just the head gasket with 20% nitro?
couldn't tell ya dreaux

not a ninja guy incase you haven't noticed

i can give you the answer if it were a novarossi

i doubt its ok but dont know

p.s. i don't recommend it
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, it is OK to run the OS based engines with only the silver shim when running 20%. I personally would leave the shim in there though. As you have said you already have tons of compression, why would you want more? Later on down the road when the engine starts to lack some compression, pull the copper shim out. That should in effect increase compression and give the engine a lil' extra lifespan.

As for the main question of this thread, there are a lot of factors that influence temps. If the engine is running well at 180-200, there is no need to go above that, though you certainly can. In general I run my engines betweeen 200 and 240. Like many others have said, DO NOT tune by temp. I only use temp as a backup to my normal tuning procedures. It is best to tune your engines by performance, sound and most importantly IMO smoke trail. If you have a good trail of smoke, good performance you should be good.

Oh, and for your carb settings, the carb on your v-spec and the carb on the ninja should be identical. Use whatever base settings you use for the v-spec. I also have no idea why you would run the engine without the carb restrictor. Put that thing back in there asap. The included 7 or 8 mm insert(depends on wether you have the B01 or B01A) is what you want.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
dreaux, you need to get onto jpalessi, he is the Ninja dude on here, ask or pm him, he will sort you out.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
dreaux, you need to get onto jpalessi, he is the Ninja dude on here, ask or pm him, he will sort you out.
exactly
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
life. I have been beating my head agaist the wall and tunning my poor engine too lean to get the temps everyone says you have to have to get the engine to run at optimum performance. Well i reset my needles for the best power reguardless of temp. And it stays in the 180 maybe 190 range. And my ninja already outperforms my vspec by a decent margin. It has crazy bottom and top. Fastest buggy on the track. and i still can't turn over the flywheel with the glow plug out after a gallon, i can when it's hot though.

i preheat my engine before every run too.

So, no one can ever convince me that a engine has to be over 200. Tunning to temps is ridiculous. I am about to throw away my temp gun. But it is still usefull for preheating and to guard from overheating (if that ever happens)

I am tired of people saying get it over 200, wrap a sock, wristband, foil around it etc etc.

bull crap.
i have seen and had many mototrs that scream under 200, i guess the only benefit of 200+ tmps would be leaner tune and slightly longer run times.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote