R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got the chance to break my motor in over the weekend. I have the JPX Plus.
I tried several different pipes on it and the one that seemed to work best for me was a Werks 053 pipe with a double bent header from SH.

With this combination I was running the motor right around 190-210 degrees throughout the day. With roughly 3/4 of a gallon on the motor I hitting 10 minute run times with no problem. The longest run I got out of the motor was just a hair over 14 minutes.

I must say so very I am extremely impressed with this motor. The only thing I want to know now is how many gallons I can get out of it!

I dont now that it matters but I did take the carb apart and seal the needles and carb pinch bolt. I checked the front and rear of the block but saw no leaks so I didnt do anything to seal the block itself.

NeoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Tech Adept

hmm looks good. thanks for sharing your review
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

i would be impressed if the run time's kept up with that....but knowing these motor's the run time will come down as the motor break's in...you wont feel full potential till over a gallon.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

NeoNot, thanks for the review. At 3/4 of a gallon, how is the pinch on the engine?

Please keep us informed.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
NeoNot, thanks for the review. At 3/4 of a gallon, how is the pinch on the engine?

Please keep us informed.

Picco's hold mechanical pinch for OVER 2 gallon's....Dont be surprised to feel it even longer then that.

Picco's have THE HARDEST cranks in the industry...ask any modder and they will tell you the Picco cranks Eat Bits/file's alive they are so hard.....the Only thing i would HIGHLY stress is a New rod after break in....with the crazy mechanical pinch the rod tends to take a beating during break in and the initial running of the motor....Get a rod to be safe.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Tech Adept

at 9 to 10 minuets on fuel. is still agood deal for $220
enignes are getting really competitavie for the 250 and below price tag.
odonnell super sport .21
jammin plus .21
reedy .21
orion .21 alpha standerd
novarossi pl5xl .21
too many too choose from lol
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

I dont know why you guys are not getting longer run times I have an old jammin in my crt x2 it has about 6 gallons on it with a werks2013 pipe i ran from start to stop and had eleven minutes run time same with a picco evo2r same pipe same truggy and had closer to twelve minutes run time
toofless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Runtimes on these jammin's are affected in a huge part by setup..... I get fantastic runtimes with these engines with all the power anyone would ever ask for...IMO these are very underrated engines
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Runtimes on these jammin's are affected in a huge part by setup..... I get fantastic runtimes with these engines with all the power anyone would ever ask for...IMO these are very underrated engines
What pipe would you suggest? I have heard the 086 pipe works well with this engine.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
What pipe would you suggest? I have heard the 086 pipe works well with this engine.
I run 086...also like the JP4.....many people have also said the 2013 really gives wicked runtime !
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

Please keep us informed.
It is every bit as tight as it was before I started breaking the motor in.

As fas as the con rod goes. I have seen no ill effects to it at this time. I have been using a heat gun to get the motor up to 200 *F before firing the motor so this may help a little as well.

I still think I might be able to squeeze just a little more run time out of it. I am still a little rich on both the low and high side. It isnt a lot but there is still some room for adjustment.

I am not sure what everyone else likes in pipes but I tried several out last weekend looking for changes in power, heat and run time. I tuned the motor each time I ran with a new pipe and none of the pipes gave me better run times than the Werks 053.

I also tested an OFNA 063, JP2, JP3, SH 2060 and an RB Concepts (dont know what number it is).

The 053 seemed to offer the best overall preformance. I had good bottom end with a respectable top end.

I dont know how much of a difference it mades but I also tried four different headers as well. Double bent header from OFNA, double Bent header from SH, short curved and long curved header.

In the end I went with the SH double bent header. It seemed to offer a little more low end punch with a minimal increase in run time for me.
NeoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was getting 11 to 12 on mine, but that was when I some how changed my radio settings and tuned the motor with the barrell only opening to 3/4, but still had a tonne of power and ran 220-230

I noticed the barrell, adjusted it and was way to lean up top 280-290, and had rediculous power, to much really. After bringing run temps and putting the proper tune on it, the run times dropped to 8- 8 1/2.

I am not concerned about overpowering the track and would like to increase runtime and decrease power. A few recommended the 7 mm Picco inserts, has anybody tried these or found something different.
thabiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabiuk View Post
I was getting 11 to 12 on mine, but that was when I some how changed my radio settings and tuned the motor with the barrell only opening to 3/4, but still had a tonne of power and ran 220-230

I noticed the barrell, adjusted it and was way to lean up top 280-290, and had rediculous power, to much really. After bringing run temps and putting the proper tune on it, the run times dropped to 8- 8 1/2.

I am not concerned about overpowering the track and would like to increase runtime and decrease power. A few recommended the 7 mm Picco inserts, has anybody tried these or found something different.
just tune the radio to not give you full open throttle.....
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

wow im getting like 6 min runtimes out of my jammin with a 053 pipe. i could still lean it a bit on the lsn. but are you guys that are getting 10 min runtimes running on a small track? like not on the throttle too much? because my local track is on the throttle always pretty much. like almost wide open. so whats your track like? i would like to know

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
wow im getting like 6 min runtimes out of my jammin with a 053 pipe. i could still lean it a bit on the lsn. but are you guys that are getting 10 min runtimes running on a small track? like not on the throttle too much? because my local track is on the throttle always pretty much. like almost wide open. so whats your track like? i would like to know
Are there any fast guys going 10 at your track? I don't care about slow people, what are the fast guys doing?

If none of the fast guys are making 10, the track wont take ten and you're not at much of a disadvantage only going 6. If fast guys are going 10, you need to rethink your set-up.

As for the 2013, great mileage pipe with good power. Runs a bit hotter than some others though.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote