R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default Step 2 = Break in and run in

Step 2 of the new Alpha Plus engines are now to break them in and get them to a comfortable tune.

After prepping both the F850 (Red head) and Z852 (Green head) I set them up for break in. Starting with the F850 (5 port) I warmed it up using a heat gun to approx 170 degrees and fired it up. This took a couple of tries as the pinch is pretty tight on these engines. Once the needles were set and the idle corrected the F850 was running with no issues.

To save on the boring details of break in I ran both engines for approx 4 tanks of fuel. Both responded nicely to their break in and now it was time to put them on the track.

Having the Nitro Cross race coming up next week I have my buggy torn down and going through it so I grabbed my truggy which I haven't started prep on yet. I also thought this would be a good platform to run these engines.

For minimal back and forth tuning I stuck with the one pipe I thought would run the best and that is the EB Mods 2041. Having broke in the Z852 last I left it in the truggy and it would get time on the track first. It fired right up with no problem though a little cold blooded. I made a few short laps out on the track as I was driving from track side so I could easily do tuning changes. The bench tune was really close and temps were right at 220. (Still on the rich side of course at 82 degrees air temp)

I ended up helping some other racers out during practice so I didn't change engines until the second round giving me no practice with the 850.

First qualifier I ran the 852 and took it some what easy still needing a bit more break in. After warm up it came in at 225, so I left the needles alone. I started out easy and eventually started pulling the trigger harder and harder.
Half way through the qualifier the Z852 had so much punch and top end I thought for sure it went lean somewhere and still having decent pinch, thought it would come in at 270 or more. I was noticing that I could pass others down the straight and gain 1-2 truggy lengths!!

Coming in after the heat my pitman temped the engine at 242. Not bad at all!

Next round I installed the 850 and suited it up for battle. It fired right up and I gave it a good warm up a full heat before I was to run as it was one less tank broke in being that I didn't run it in practice. Going out with about the same bench tune in warm up I noticed that this engine had a bit more torque on the bottom end. It has more of a "pull" to it than a "snap" like the 852.

Pulling into the pit after warm up the same thing was realized, temps were right at 220. So we left it alone and went with it as it felt good but again these weren't tuned to kill...... yet. This heat was almost a repeat of the first I motored around pulling trigger here and there to see what I could get away with and then squeezed it more and more. One little table top at our track is right after a 90 degree right, you tip-toe over it at the same time turning a bit left to make the next 120 degree right hander. Its sort of a chicane with a little table top in the middle. So to see how much torque this engine had a squared the little table top up and punched over the jump and landed right at the entrance to the 120 right hander. Now thats power! (I guess you'd have to see or know the track )

Pulling in the temps again were right at 240 still a bit low, though the engine is still rich and the air temp dropped now as the sun went down to right about 70 degrees.

Main time..... which motor to use??? I chose to stick with the 850 (red head) for two reasons. The main reason was that the water comes up at our track and by main time gets a little slick. I wanted the grunt of the 850 to keep wheel spin to a minimum. Also this would allow it to get a bit more run in. So I took the head off and removed the .1mm gasket and got ready again warming it up completely before the main. I bench tuned it again leaning it down a bit more but, not yet to kill, and set off.

Warm up and it was all systems go. Came in again at 227 (the air temp is now in the low-mid 60's) We left the tune and set out. Second corner, someone jumped into on coming traffic and I got nicked in the right front, but only slowing me for a couple of seconds. Back under way and I was moving right along. The 850 had so much tractor like torque that wheel spin was not a problem, though a quick yank of the trigger would easily light up the tires. I ran consistant laps and was catching the guys ahead of me, who missed the maylay at the beginning, until about the 8 minute mark and my right front knuckle gave way to what had happened earlier. I made it back to pit lane and temped in at 247.

Bummer!! Although our main was only 15 minutes, I was going for a 10 minute pit stop. Checking the tank afterward I truly believe we could have gone 11!!
In both heats with both engines still being new and running rich..... I still had a smidge under half a tank. I'm impressed.

I'm impressed not only with the quality I noticed during prep, but also with the break in though as mentioned a little tough being how tight the pinch is from the factory. Yet to take them out to the track and race them on the rich side, both yielded great performance and even better than expected fuel mileage.

4.5 out of 5 "Track" Stars for break in*

5 "Track" Stars for initial performance right out of the box

5.5 "Track" Stars for fuel mileage**

*(No engine is ever perfect during break in)
**(We'll see where this goes when these fully break in)

Jimmy Wright
Track Star RC

(Both engines were running on 30% Prime Racing fuel with P3 plugs and 2041 pipes)

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Busy week this week.

Alpha tear down/ inspection and report later today.

All customers;

Everything is shipping today, with the exception of those who have been emailed otherwise.

Our Nitro Cross special is still going on. Free TKO Bearing set with chassis race prep/ rebuild service. email inquiries to trackstarrc@gmail.com

Jimmy

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Keep this on the front page.
RC Pro 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Busy week this week.

Alpha tear down/ inspection and report later today.

All customers;

Everything is shipping today, with the exception of those who have been emailed otherwise.

Our Nitro Cross special is still going on. Free TKO Bearing set with chassis race prep/ rebuild service. email inquiries to trackstarrc@gmail.com

Jimmy

OK, sorry this is so late. We're trying to get everything together for the Nitro Cross all the while taking care of our customers.

Full tear down of both engines has been done. With a little over 3/4 of a gallon on each engine now they both still have some pinch still, some meaning they are a little difficult to turn over by hand with the flywheel with no glow plug. The burn pattern using the EB Mods 2041 shows that the header may be a little long. The standard 2041 has a shorter header so this or another pipe could be the answer. Rods show no stretch, rod bushings still tight, and no leakage from the front bearings. Nothing abnormal.

I'm very confident that these engines will serve me very well this week at the Nitrocross World Championships. I'm looking forward to proving this.

Jimmy Wright

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

good luck in AZ guys

AB
Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #111
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you Alan! Are you coming out? if so, good luck to you as well! To all racers attending NitroCross, stop by and say Hi to TrackStar drivers Jimmy Wright and Ryan Lutz in the Tamiya booth. Be sure to check out the Alpha plus engine in Jimmy's hotrod! That motor is ballistic! To all drivers attending ARC this weekend, stop by and say hi!
tech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Hello all!

Greetings from the Nitro Cross.

Alan, thank you! Too bad you're not here.

Jeff Alessi I'll call you tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

Chris, thanks for holding down the fort!

These Alpha engines are awesome! We are going 10 minutes when
the "Pros" with more expensive engines cannot. :0)

Congrats to Track Star driver Ryan Lutz for qualifying his Tamiya truggy right
into the Sunday finals!

Jimmy

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Greetings once again form the Nitro Cross in sunny (and extremely hot) Arizona.

Today was a very trying day for my racing effort. Second round buggy was met with a broken left front drive shaft. One DNS and One DNF, however the thrid round I ended up 5th overall for the round so.... but this still yielded a very unimpressive C main start.

Truggy I managed to scrap together a 9th position in the A main even though my 3rd round was met with a DNS due to a steering servo failure. (Yes Chris....I know I know..... Your servo of choice is now in the truck)

Team drivers Ryan Lutz and David Enstrom had good days as Ryan went to the semi's and placed himself in the Big Show for Sundays buggy final and Dave Enstrom placed both of his Track Star tuned buggy and truggy into both A mains!!

Short report on the Alpha Engines.

They are working AWESOME! Still again 0 issues or tuning problems. Those who actually watched the Live RC video of my 3rd run "Yes" the F850 was a bit lean, but it stayed controllable and the temp didn't keep climbing. Even coming off at 285* the internals and glow plug look great. These two engines are catching some major attention out here.

Well, its off to bed now for some much needed rest before the bump ups start. My first buggy event is race #5. "Going to the A!"

Jimmy Wright

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Congratulations to Track Star's Ryan Lutz for making both Finals at this weekends Nitro Cross World Championships and finishing 3rd in Truggy!

Also congrats to Track Star driver Dave Enstrom (DE Racing) for putting both of his Mugens in the A main and also pulling off a podium finish.

Alpha engine report coming when I get home tonite.

Jimmy

Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jimmy, did you ever get my reply?

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Congratulations to Track Star's Ryan Lutz for making both Finals at this weekends Nitro Cross World Championships and finishing 3rd in Truggy!

Also congrats to Track Star driver Dave Enstrom (DE Racing) for putting both of his Mugens in the A main and also pulling off a podium finish.

Good job guys!
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #117
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

it was good to meet ya JW , keep up the good work and stay kool

monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Jimmy, did you ever get my reply?
Garen,

I'll email you in a bit. I'm decompressing from the Nitro Cross.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
it was good to meet ya JW , keep up the good work and stay kool

monty

Monty,

Likewise! It's always nice to put a face to the keyboard....

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Good job guys!
Thanks Michael!

We all struggled one way or another. This event was not easy.

For Dave and Ryan to pull off podiums was from their hours of prep and cool heads on the drivers stand.