RC8B vs. Hyper 9

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8B vs. Hyper 9

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

the mugen mbx6 is cheaper and better quality than both...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I havent had the chance to try a Hyper 9 personally but I do know one guy who switched from the RC8 to the Hyper 9 and shortly later switched back.

The RC8B is a big step forward from the original RC8 both in terms of handling and durability. My current car is a conversion but I am looking forward to a fresh RC8B kit in the off season. My car is a converted RC8 and Ive been able to see the improvements in all the parts and the handling differences in all the parts as I swapped them.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyper9boy
in my opinion any car is turnable ive ran the hyper 9 since it came out with good results, i have,nt had anywhere nere the problems i read lately things have been good the last 4-5 events i have won and nealy tq,d them all, this is only at club level, i have recently got the new hyper 9 b version i have to say once i setup the diffs it is a faster car , i hav e herd that the rc8 plastics were out really fast from people that drive them , if u have ran the rc8 time for a change u dont know unless u try dude
How is that B version, I was thinking about trying it, but the c hubs look questionable, are they strong? Im bending my cvds and what to see if the B type front is stronger, hows it hold up for you? THX
Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Someone mentioned the 801 in here and that car is awesome i drove one with a jx21 and im in love with it i think i might buy one in march even though i still havnt ran my own rc8. But tamiya makes extremely nice products like the 416 is an amazing car thier qaulity to me is way better then xray
Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by beta bob
Someone mentioned the 801 in here and that car is awesome i drove one with a jx21 and im in love with it i think i might buy one in march even though i still havnt ran my own rc8. But tamiya makes extremely nice products like the 416 is an amazing car thier qaulity to me is way better then xray
Can't say I ever heard that befor.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I have ran the Hyper 9 since it first came out. It is one of the best buggies that OFNA/HoBao has put out. It handles very well on the track. In fact, I have had problems with oversteer. This is the first buggy that I have ever ran that had that much steering.

The very first Hyper 9's had a few issues (what new product doesn't), but those issues have been resolved. The first fuel tanks were prone to leak. They now come with a different fuel tank, problem solved. A lot of people claim that the arms were fragile. I have only broken one front arm (in a wreck that would have broken an arm by any manufacturer). They now have new arms out. They changed the way that the arms are made. The new arms are also 1mm longer to help protect the front CVA's.

I believe that the Hyper 9 is an excellent buggy, it may fit your driving style, but it may not. The key is to find the buggy that fits you best. I can't say that it is better than the RC8, but I can say it is a great buggy.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

EASYRIDER i too was concerned about the plastic steering knuckle i have been told they are a speciel material and wont break .
i have ran the b version car for 2 meets with no dramas the xray also has plastic knukles , if u end up getting one just pm me ill help u get it going forward well , a good freind of mine wayne walker (current aussie champ) has help me with the getting it setup i. have a state tittles coming up after that i should have some good setup tips for the b version
cheers
Old 08-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
I mentioned the 801x, and the one I ran had a Nova +4 in it, i fell in love, 2 days later ordered the 801x, +4, reedy .21 and servos from amain. Gave my pops my old mbx5r gonna put the reedy in there for him, and have a blast.

EVERY kit out there now is top notch, not one is better then the other, and they all win. Go with what you like, and what you can get parts for. Have fun, take care of your car, and race hard. At the end of the day if you accomplished all 3 of those tasks, then you my friends are enjoying this lovely hobby that we have.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

i think im gonna get a hyper 9. they look awesome and from what all ive read it sounds like a solid buggy.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
When I had my Rc8 I would have gladly traded for a D8!

The D8 has its weight farther forward and steers more agressively and rotates quicker than the RC8. You need a torqy engine with the D8 it seems to accellerate slower thant the RC8. (+4 or Jx21) When its pushed beyond its limit it is really stable despite its quick steering, I think that is because of its heavy chassis (is it 4mm thick?).

The only problems with the few I've had the chance to drive is that they really didn't want to "carve" larger highspeed sweepers. It seemed to want to rotate and slide instead. Going to thicker front diff fluid and adding 1mm more front droop would have fixed that.

Seems more durable than the RC8 and wears about the same. I think they've solved the D8's driveshaft problems.
you are right about the D8's 4mm chassis
Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This past weekend, i watched D8 after D8 break at the JBRL.

I have a converted RC8, that is almost fully converted. I bumped from the c to the b, but didnt get a chance to look my buggy over fully before my race. The upper front arm, which was still the old design broke on the last jump during the B warm up.

AE has already made the Running change in upper arms, so they are alot stronger. The only thing i have found an issue with the B parts is when i moved the battery forward, i didnt have anything holding the plugs into the receiver, and they are a little loose. 1 zip tie fixed all of that.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigedmond

I have a converted RC8, that is almost fully converted. I bumped from the c to the b, but didnt get a chance to look my buggy over fully before my race. The upper front arm, which was still the old design broke on the last jump during the B warm up.

AE has already made the Running change in upper arms, so they are alot stronger. The only thing i have found an issue with the B parts is when i moved the battery forward, i didnt have anything holding the plugs into the receiver, and they are a little loose. 1 zip tie fixed all of that.
you cant put it all on the d8 though. it seemed like alot of people were braking. i saw plenty of losi and assoicated coming off broke as well. it was just a hack fiesta out there. everybody was driving really rough.

mine broke, when a guy shot left off the triple and landed in the next lane head on into my left rear tire. i dont think any car would have withstood that
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I got 3 races on my D8 and finished all 3 with no problems. i have noticed that this buggy need more maint between races tho. I hade a rc8 rtr before the D8 and love the D8 compaired to the RC8. The D8 is very nice on the wallet too. i ebay alot of parts cheap. resurch the d8 a little more before making your move.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Dont get me wrong, i broke an upper arm on my buggy during spt b warm up. I am pretty sure i cracked it during the c main, but i didnt have enough time to clean and check everything. Plus, i still had not put on the RC8B arms, which are alot stronger.

The old RC8 was a car that broke alot, but AE did alot to fix it, and lost alot of money sending out free parts. I dont see many companies doing that. The RC8B is so much better then the original.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The old RC8 was a car that broke alot, but AE did alot to fix it, and lost alot of money sending out free parts. I dont see many companies doing that. The RC8B is so much better then the original.
+1 I don't know how many times I have said this also! They will learn sooner or later!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.