R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you've that much damage then you would be better off buying a new roller, it sounds a little pricey but you will have of spares for everything!
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #32
Tech Prophet

thats why on my futaba 3pk with a speckum module i have my failsafe so when a power failure happens it goes to full brake rightaway and i have a deans connector on my revever battery
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

This thread reminds me of the last time I let my girlfriend try my 1:8 buggy 2-3 years ago.

Inferno mp777 SP1 with very little use on it, RB S7II with a 086 pipe...running on a big parking lot/storage area for a roofingcompany. I run the car for a couple of minutes trying to tune the engine. The RB was killer..great top end. Hand over the radio to my GF ant tell her to squeeze the throttle gently and give it a try :P

All i hear is a sudden scream of the engine on WOT heading away from us. The desperation in my GFs eyes was priceless haha. My brother takes the transmitter but there`s no connection at all. The car blasts across the parking lot towards some wooden pallets with roofing tiles stored on them. Let me tell you, the pallets didn`t move a millimeter. The car jumps into the air landing on its wheels again heading the other way. I`ve never heard a buggy engine making that kind of rpm, and the car was ballistic hitting a big rubble of rocks in the other end of the parking lot.

Carrying the car back i notice something weird...the car looks kinda...wrong Turns out that EVERY single aluminium part is bendt. Taco shaped chassis, z-shaped radiotray, bendt top plate, mangeled shocktowers, the chassis warped so badly on impact that the left steering post punctured the fuel tank! The most shocking was that the front driveshaft made from thick hardened steel had snapped in half, and the broken off piece had been shot through the side of the lexan body. And that NO plastic part broke!

Lesson learned: NEVER run a RX battery with bad wiring...and remember to mount a return spring
runar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
LOL. Love it. I got one, I got one. Kind of like the runaway wingracer described.

1. When you have to replace the aluminum garage door across the street cause your T-maxx batteries weren't charged, you know you F'ed up.

Apparently Integy aluminum bulkheads are tougher than aluminum garage doors. Nasty hole in that door!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Funny thread
At my local track (Loganville RC) a month or so ago a RC8 went straight WIDE OPEN into a solid wall of creosote railroad timbers it was not salvagable
I saw another buggy runaway and jump a large berm into the woods runaway.
I have always been super anal retentitive about failsafes and if my radio system didnt have one then I would run an external one.
My M11x has a pretty sweet multiple failsafes
I always run a external failsafe even tho my radio has one.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Failsafes are great but they will NOT prevent all runaways. They only help in the event of a transmitter failure of some sort. There are plenty of other ways for a car to run away. Receiver pack/wiring failures seem to be most common, though digital servos have really reduced this since a weak return spring can still have the strength to pull the servo closed.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I used to own a 5th scale HPI Baja when they first came out. I was running it one Saturday on an empty school parking lot. Things were going fine and I hd drawn a crowd of passerby's that were watching me hot dogging it. Someone asked me "how fast does that thing goe?" so I gave it full throttle and lost radio connection!!! It travelled clear across the lot @ WOT(40 yds) and hit head on into a concrete curb!!! At impact....the front tires both popped off and rolled around the lot. Total carnage...the chassis was bent so bad on the front end that the shock towers were bent back into the chassis!!! Cost me a pretty penny to fix...new chassis and every part on the front end!! In hind sight, could've been much worse because if it were to miss the curb, it would've headed into a major road and traffic!!!
ST RR Evo: Ninja BO2/OS 2060/KO RSx servos
sugelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #37
Tech Adept

years ago i had a wot crash with the xxxnt i was running at the time. sucker hit the back wall at the leisure hours indoor track likely doing 30-35. front and rear body posts were about 10" appart it tacoed so badly
Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Got owned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upuZZXJY2Y0

my local track, wasn't there to see it, but I know the speed an 1/8 scale can get to coming down the hill. ouch.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Best things I saw was someone who pissed off someone else (a same frequency issue) get his car wrecked by someone else cuz he didnt know the other guy was driving it straight it a curb when it hit the curb the fuel hit the pipe ignited and melted down everything on it like it was in a microwave. *this was pre lipo era*
Old 08-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

damn i am having really bad luck. Today i broke upper left and lower left front arms. tie rods and half a servo saver.

in 2 days that is

chassis
radio tray
fuel tank
drive shafts
tie rods
upper arms
lower arms
servo saver
headz engine mount
bulk head
and a damn partridge in a damn pear tree.

I seriously want to give up.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
damn i am having really bad luck. Today i broke upper left and lower left front arms. tie rods and half a servo saver.

in 2 days that is

chassis
radio tray
fuel tank
drive shafts
tie rods
upper arms
lower arms
servo saver
headz engine mount
bulk head
and a damn partridge in a damn pear tree.

I seriously want to give up.
I think you need to get a M-Spec prebuilt MBX6 when it comes out and use whats left of the old car as spare parts, if any parts left are still good ;-)
Old 08-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I think you need to get a M-Spec prebuilt MBX6 when it comes out and use whats left of the old car as spare parts, if any parts left are still good ;-)
everything is ok. I had a whole nother kit of spares already. I will be at the track tomorrow. it is stupid mistakes. My driving is not bad at all. It's like there is someone out to get me

let me ask you about my idle gap. I finally got it tuned correctly but i took my air filter off and my idle gap is maybe i mean maybe .5 mm. does that sound right? Idles good. and when i open up? that baby screams still has pinch after a gallon. I will never start it without a heat gun.

btw, i will never give up

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #43
Tech Prophet

i would say open up the idle just enough where u hit the brake it does ethier
close the carb compely or just make a diffrent sound when u hit the brake
does it sound like a high rpm when its just sitting or when u are running it
cause u dont want that for sure i did before .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
everything is ok. I had a whole nother kit of spares already. I will be at the track tomorrow. it is stupid mistakes. My driving is not bad at all. It's like there is someone out to get me

let me ask you about my idle gap. I finally got it tuned correctly but i took my air filter off and my idle gap is maybe i mean maybe .5 mm. does that sound right? Idles good. and when i open up? that baby screams still has pinch after a gallon. I will never start it without a heat gun.

btw, i will never give up
Don't worry about the gap, that sounds normal. If it idles fine, leave it alone. Just make sure you have a return spring or rubber band pulling the carb shut. With out that, you'll get weird idle speeds from the carn slide opening just off neutral or at neutral position. It must remain closed and steady when braking or at neutral position.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Failsafes set, return sping mounted, landed a tripple, throttle servo gear jammed, WOT on a long straigt, Marshell was smart, moved...1/8 scale on steroids..Over the bails, into the track overburden, luckiley by then I had regained my wits, and was making it do circles, I remember seeing that crazey buggy...and watching for a moment before I realised that was me!!!