Wiki Posts
Search

O'Donnell Z01t or Tamiya 801XT

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default O'Donnell Z01t or Tamiya 801XT

OK everyone, I've made up my mind to expand into the truggy class at my local track next year. Everyone there runs either Losi, Mugen, or Jammin (there's an occassional RC8T out there, but not many).

I've narrowed it down to the 801XT or the Z01T, mainly because I'd really like to run something different that what the other guys are running. Support will be equal on either one from my LHS (they've offered to stock the most commonly used parts for whichever one I choose). I know both of these are really good truggies, but I wanted to get opinions one final time before I start putting money away for a new kit, or just get a used roller from here.

I've heard that the 801XT is a real heavyweight compared to others. Is this the case? I can't find a weight for the Z01T, but the spec sheet for the 801 says 9.2 lbs. Are there any major differences between these two in how they handle? Would one stand out over the other for a driver moving up from 1/10 2wd, and SCT?

I tend to overthink these things, but it's a heck of an investment to make without doing as much research as I can. NJDevils was nice enough to speak with me in great detail, which really helped drive my decisions down to where I'm at now. (thanks again for the help Ken!)

So, what do y'all think? Between these two, is it honestly a "flip a coin" kind of decision?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
OK everyone, I've made up my mind to expand into the truggy class at my local track next year. Everyone there runs either Losi, Mugen, or Jammin (there's an occassional RC8T out there, but not many).

I've narrowed it down to the 801XT or the Z01T, mainly because I'd really like to run something different that what the other guys are running. Support will be equal on either one from my LHS (they've offered to stock the most commonly used parts for whichever one I choose). I know both of these are really good truggies, but I wanted to get opinions one final time before I start putting money away for a new kit, or just get a used roller from here.

I've heard that the 801XT is a real heavyweight compared to others. Is this the case? I can't find a weight for the Z01T, but the spec sheet for the 801 says 9.2 lbs. Are there any major differences between these two in how they handle? Would one stand out over the other for a driver moving up from 1/10 2wd, and SCT?

I tend to overthink these things, but it's a heck of an investment to make without doing as much research as I can. NJDevils was nice enough to speak with me in great detail, which really helped drive my decisions down to where I'm at now. (thanks again for the help Ken!)

So, what do y'all think? Between these two, is it honestly a "flip a coin" kind of decision?

You just need to ask yourself then....... What has been winning out there?

Lutz has been doing very well with the 801XT.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Well....Lutz could drive the "dream girl Barbie" pink corvette and still put it on the podium in A-Main!

Us "average Joe's" need the input from the folks who have driven them both.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Well....Lutz could drive the "dream girl Barbie" pink corvette and still put it on the podium in A-Main!

Us "average Joe's" need the input from the folks who have driven them both.
Just had an idea for my next car body...
Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have not driven the Tamiya truggy but I do like my ZO1 T. Parts are very reasonable and there is help out there from the team guys. High quality stuff.

Go for what you are leaning towards the most.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Definetely the z01t, the parts quality is fantastic and it handles like a dream. I'm sure it will have a very similar weight to the RC8T or the 8-t 2.0. You will nto be disappointed!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Either vehicle would be a great choice! You can't go wrong either way you go! I will add that if you choose the 801Xt we have a great group of drivers and supporters on the 801Xt thread who are more than willing to help in any way possible! Best of luck with your decision and if you choose the Tamiya we look forward to seeing you in the 801Xt thread!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Not many people in my area like the odonnell.Everyone I know who had one sold them.I'm not talking bad about them I drove my buddys and it's not bad but if u really want to go fast get u something else....just my opinion.. Oh and buy u some kyosho ring and pinion gears they'll last longer..
Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I have seen this to. Several Od drivers have parted ways. The vehicles look good but I have never driven one.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Every vehicle has there own problems, but from what I've witnessed with my own eyes they break a lot more often than others.I'm not a sponsored driver or even fast enough to be one but I can tell u from my experience seeing that I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on one..I don't want to upset anyone that is not my intentions Im just stating what I have seen...
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I thought tamiya was looking to release an updated or new truggy in late 2010. if so i would prolly watch for that or go zo1t.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Prophet

about the odonnell zo1t i dont know about how tuff i would be but man i seen this guy who came to our track with a odonnel zo1b and he was a crazy ass driver and drive it pretty hard and i dint see it break a thing by looking at it the parts are very high quality looking ,i do like that tamiya 801xt though i want to see at least one person at my track have one,to see how it is the probelm lays with both if these i have yet to see a parts support where the hobby stores are in my area aleast but they look tough through so isount think u whould break alot,as for the weight i think the tamiya is about 9 pounds and the losi eight is 8 pounds or so and the odonnel buggy proberty around 8.3 pounds or so
Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i just ran my first truggy race yesterday with a z01t that i bought used, and i really enjoyed it. it drove like a dream and turned on a dime! i cannot comment on any other brands since im new and odonnell is the only brand ive ran. i have the team buggy as well, and it has taken one hell of a thrashing being im a rookie. like above the parts are cheap but high quality. im extremely pleased with my investment in their equipment!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian Alderman
i just ran my first truggy race yesterday with a z01t that i bought used, and i really enjoyed it. it drove like a dream and turned on a dime! i cannot comment on any other brands since im new and odonnell is the only brand ive ran. i have the team buggy as well, and it has taken one hell of a thrashing being im a rookie. like above the parts are cheap but high quality. im extremely pleased with my investment in their equipment!
When I was talking to NJDevils on the phone, he gave me a really good tip for when I get a Z01T. He said that the diffs liked to be shimmed REALLY tight. Like right at the point where you can feel the teeth meshing when you roll it forward on the bench.

He had a 50% sponsorship with O'Donnell and ran both truggy and buggy for a while. He said that he worked with the tech guys at O'Donnell after he got the cars to figure out why he was strippping diffs out. Turns out, as he would run, and the diffs heated up, everything expanded, and the mesh got off. He was advised to set them up as I described above, and no more problems...

I've talked to a few other folks about the Tamiya. It really is almost a coin toss between the two. I spoke to my LHS again yesterday, and I can get a better price on the O'Donnell from them vs. the Tamiya. If I get new, I'll likely get the Z01T. What would be really nice is if the Z01T was being packaged like the Z01B (basic and factory team 2 in 1 kit). I'd be all over that!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Z01T

+1 for the Z01T....They are AWESOME

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.