Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My Truggy is possessed (aka do ceramic bearings *really* have that much effect?) >

My Truggy is possessed (aka do ceramic bearings *really* have that much effect?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Truggy is possessed (aka do ceramic bearings *really* have that much effect?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My Truggy is possessed (aka do ceramic bearings *really* have that much effect?)

Okay, not really possessed. I'm just trying to figure out how the hell I'm getting 14 minute tanks consistently. Is it running on hopes and dreams that I'll give it more juice eventually? Do ceramic bearings = better mileage from less friction?

RC8T with a v-spec and JP3 running P3 plugs, 8mm venturi, & Torco 30%. I just had the conrod & inner bearing replaced with AE ceramics. Prior to the parts change I was getting a good 8-8.5 minutes average a tank ever since break-in and I was happy with that. I haven't changed the needles, tune, or shim... just the new conrod & ceramic bearing. When I put it on the track to test it out after the parts change it ran smoother which I expected to some extent. I then did some hard laps with a full tank to doublecheck my tank times... and it just kept going. Finally died at 14:37 which had to be a mistake or my stopwatch battery was funky. So I ran another tank and used my cell stopwatch... 14:22. And another - 14:24. How the hell?

Has anyone else experienced increased run times from ceramics? I can see how some improvement would happen from a new conrod with no slop and less rolling resistance of new bearings... but I have no freakin clue how it would jump from 8.5 to 14's.

If I could figure out exactly what kind of magic smoke ended up in there I'd do the same on my buggy.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are both of these time during a race?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by imaxx21
are both of these time during a race?
No, it was during practice between races and I was driving it as hard as I normally do. I also let a friend take it for a tank spin (he drives like it was stolen, on fire, and has a lead finger) and he pulled a mid 12.

**Edit: 12, not 13 as originally posted
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

still different, let us know how long you get during a race

ceramics are good, but they aren't 5+ min extra a tank good
Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

still different, let us know how long you get during a race

ceramics are good, but they aren't 5+ min extra a tank good
My thoughts exactly. I'll be racing it this Saturday so we'll see how it goes. My transponder was on and I checked my lap times which were still my usual low 40's (big-ass track). It could be Canyon Thompson sacrificed a chicken or something when he put in the parts for me but when we were talking about it he was surprised as well.

I am curious what, if any, extra time improvement people have seen with ceramics vs regular bearings.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

no wonder its possessed, you let Canyon touch it
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Amoeba
My thoughts exactly. I'll be racing it this Saturday so we'll see how it goes. My transponder was on and I checked my lap times which were still my usual low 40's (big-ass track). It could be Canyon Thompson sacrificed a chicken or something when he put in the parts for me but when we were talking about it he was surprised as well.

I am curious what, if any, extra time improvement people have seen with ceramics vs regular bearings.
It's negligible if any. Main reason for the ceramics is improved longevity of the bearings and reduced spool time (translates to the engine accelerates faster).

Regards,

Ron Hopkins
Werks Racing
Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

no wonder its possessed, you let Canyon touch it
good point!

Originally Posted by Werks
It's negligible if any. Main reason for the ceramics is improved longevity of the bearings and reduced spool time (translates to the engine accelerates faster).
Thanks Ron. That was my understanding as well. I'll have to eventually do the same maintenance on my buggy which is running the same engine setup and see how it goes.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Smile

You and your buddy both drive like P####S by chance???????????: p