R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, I just got done spending some time checking out Redcats website, their products and watching numerous videos of their 1/8th scale brushless and nitro powered vehicles, including the Monsoon truggy. What is so inferior about them? Yes, some of the vehicles they have are for sure junk, but the 1/8th scale stuff seems ok. Sure the dealer network is not there, so I would not buy one, I support my LHS and go there a couple times per week to pick up Traxxas parts for my Slayer. They also have a abundance of HPI and Associated parts, so without a local dealer, it would be a pain to own one. Over at the rcuniverse forum, there seems to be a decent following for them, they have their own section, but that could be because they are a sponsor maybe. I have only been in this hobby for about a year and just found out about Redcat through this thread, so dont say I am defending them, because I dont know any better. What and who are they copying from?
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The is only one way to find out how bad they are. and to do that, you will have to buy one and find out the hard way.

I worked at a hobby shop and had plenty of Red Cat cars come in broken. the person who owned the car was told by Red Cat that their local hobby shops should carry parts for their cars. No we didn't, nor does 95% of the hobby shops in america. We tried to order parts for the cars, but were unable to do so. Why? because of the hoops they wanted us to jump through in order to get them from china. at this time they didn't have a distributor in america, maybe that has changed, I read somewhere that they are based in AZ now.

But still, I didn't like the fact that they lied to customers about our hobby shop having parts. and then we have to explain why we don't have parts. and now the customer is mad at us for not having parts. Stupid us for not jumping all over this company and stocking their quality cars and trucks. (sarcasm)

I will admit the video I saw of the brushless corr truck did seem pretty cool, but I don't buy products that just have cool videos, I need some up close and inperson proof.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Well, I have never had any dealings with Redcat or the people who owned them, so i am just going off what I have read. Like I stated before, I am still fairly new to this hobby, so it helps to have people like you to give expert advise on these subjects to point new people in the right direction so they dont make the wrong decision and wind up frustrated and give the hobby up.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
Redcat is in Arizona so I see them testing some new things and I will tell you the new Aftershock 8E is so cool. This thing is as fast or faster than any thing out there and they try to destroy the thing and it is very strong. This is a great car for the basher or any one that wants to have fun.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM6rd0jigQk

Look at the cheap video too, just one wooden jump? Here is a really RC car on a real test track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPPnd81Y6E
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I recently bought an MGT 8.0 rtr off of Rcuniverse.com that was damn near brand new for $230 shipped, the day after I bought it there were 3 Savages listed for the same or less, 2 X's and an XL. I thought about going the Redcat way myself but talked to my LHS's and they both quit carrying the parts for them, they said they could still get them but they had had some troubles with the company so they quit carrying the parts. I also bought an HPI Firestorm 10t off of ebay last week that looked almost new for $145 shipped, will see how good it looks on Monday when it gets here. There are lots of options out there if you don't want to spend a lot of money, just be patient and careful, but don't be too patient, I missed a sweet deal on a HPI Hellfire on ebay cuz I was too patient.
Uhgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Well I suppose a 1/8 scale brushless 4wd buggy with batteries is too good to be true for $359.00 . Would your opinions change about Redcat if they had a network of dealers that supported the product like Traxxas, Losi, Associated, etc?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
Tech Elite

No, its still cheaply made stuff that gives our hobby a bad name.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
Well I suppose a 1/8 scale brushless 4wd buggy with batteries is too good to be true for $359.00 . Would your opinions change about Redcat if they had a network of dealers that supported the product like Traxxas, Losi, Associated, etc?
I'd say that over time, and if they put in the neccesary R&D into building a vehicle right, they might go somewhere.
But right now I think their target buyers are bashers with very little loot to spend.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

cool. ill check around and see what i can find. im now up to 350 so im still looking for another Monster. The only reason money is low is because i bought the MGT 3.0, HPI rs4 3.0 and the OFNA LX one buggy all in the same day. now i want another Monster.

gonna look around rcu forums or here. The only problem with me Is i dont trust people and used stuff. alot of people will say its barely used but can you trust that?
cta4LC4PON3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
RedCat is actually considered a curse word on RcTech. shame on you guys for using the term so loosely!

REDCAT ! REDCAT ! REDCAT !

Rcjunk-yard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
Tech Elite

It ain't the only word:

Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's! Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's! Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's! Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's! Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's! Losi! Losi! Darn Losi's!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
Tech Adept

$.02

wish I knew epoxy would glue back together all those XXX-S parts when I was carpet racing. Racing on CARPET? Who knew?
Rcjunk-yard is offline   Reply With Quote