R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Cleaning Tips

Whats the best way to clean the area next to the glow plug? Currently I use a rag and a flat head screw driver but its not very succesful, still leavs allot of dirt. How do others do it?

Also I have noticed allot of people talk about rebuilding diffs etc. Ive never taken mine out of the buggy. Whats involved and how often does it need to be done?
sperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use high pressure air... if you've got a compressor that'll work.. I use those Pressured Air cans you get from office supply stores... I "borrow" them from work so yeah... Never tried but maybe a straw will work too if you have good lung capacity.

In terms of diffs... i'd be interested to find out the answer to that question myself... The only reason i haven't one this yet is because it's too hard to take the damn things out... they are in very inconvenient places...
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperera View Post
Also I have noticed allot of people talk about rebuilding diffs etc. Ive never taken mine out of the buggy. Whats involved and how often does it need to be done?

Its really not that hard to do. I just got done redoing my ultra comp and it was easy once you figure it out.
How often? From what I have read if you race it they say like after 3-4 races would be good. If your just running around you could go a little longer. Google it and it will find all kinds of stuff on it.
I to was scared to try it but once I got into it, it really wasn't that bad. Shoot and that was on a ultra comp and that has even more pieces.

If you need any help let me know and if I don't know I will help find the answer for you.
Tate72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I "freshen" up the diffs with new fluids every other race weekend at the most. You would be suprised how much more consistant it makes the vehicle. I will do O-rings every 4-6 races or as needed if they are leaking.

I purchased a kitchen sink strainer and I put the gears in a the strainer over a glass candy jar then spray the gears with cleaner when I do O-rings/bearings etc. When i freshen up the diffs, I usaully just drain the old fluid and replace with new.
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Alot of people (and myself) forget to grease the outdrives before pushing them into the diff. These need greased.

I just dump out the old diff fliud and let the parts sit on a rag for 20minutes. I don't scrubb out the diffs with naptha like others. I don't see the need.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate72 View Post
Its really not that hard to do. I just got done redoing my ultra comp and it was easy once you figure it out.
How often? From what I have read if you race it they say like after 3-4 races would be good. If your just running around you could go a little longer. Google it and it will find all kinds of stuff on it.
I to was scared to try it but once I got into it, it really wasn't that bad. Shoot and that was on a ultra comp and that has even more pieces.

If you need any help let me know and if I don't know I will help find the answer for you.
Thanks for the offer, I will have a look first if I cant find what i need I will let you know. Quick question though do you need to repalce any parts or is it all about cleaning? I dont race (not yet) just got to local gravel track and have a play, still tuning mine at the moment, done about 3 litres through the engine.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

once you get the gears out soak them in naptha for like 10-15 minutes they will be shining like new, and yes it does need grease on the out drives
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Tech Addict

The diff process sounds involved, I better track down some instructions. Never done it before myself.

When changing the fluid can this be done with the diffs still in vehicle or do they need to be removed?

The diffs in my budges buggy are all encased in plastic with screws instead of nut and bolt. Thereore when I remove something the screw never goes back in snug as when it came out.

I cant say its a dissapointment of a buggy though, it was dirt cheap and done what I wanted it to, confirm im going to get enjoyment out of the sport. I plan to get a good buggy end of year, so far im liking the sounds of the 808.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Tech Master

Here you go. This how it was explained to me,

The diff is what the big gear is attached to. (ITS A PLASTIC CASE) it comes apart and there's spider gears inside of it . clean the grease out of it thoroughly and fill the case about 3/4 of the way with diff oil. you need to do the same to all the diffs front - center and ,rear. a good starting point is 3kin the rear 5k in the center and 7kin the front. make sure to re grease the pinion and ring gear again before assembly. Its a lot of work but the diffs work so much better. Pay attention how it comes apart and , just reverse the process for re-assembly.

Hope this helps. Like I said it's really not that bad to do. I've learned a lot just from doing it once.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
once you get the gears out soak them in naptha for like 10-15 minutes they will be shining like new, and yes it does need grease on the out drives
What do the out drives look like? Got a pic?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

http://www.mugenracing.com/phpBB3/vi....php?f=2&t=328

this will help, in the first pic is the diff case, outdrives, spyder gears
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Tech Master

shoot that was an awesome description.