Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exhaust Gas Cooler Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Default Exhaust Gas Cooler Opinions

I recently tried a RB exhaust gas cooler on my WS7 with some horrible luck! My motor was never more than a hour or two off from week to week and was completley reliable. That is until I installed the cooler and nothing but problems! From consistent flame outs to completley out of tune, I finally got a good temp and blew a glow plug! Took it off and it runs like a charm!!! Does anyone have experiance or thoughts on these coolers? Are they really worth anything, or just a headache?

Thank you for your opinions and advise in advance!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gixxerman
I recently tried a RB exhaust gas cooler on my WS7 with some horrible luck! My motor was never more than a hour or two off from week to week and was completley reliable. That is until I installed the cooler and nothing but problems! From consistent flame outs to completley out of tune, I finally got a good temp and blew a glow plug! Took it off and it runs like a charm!!! Does anyone have experiance or thoughts on these coolers? Are they really worth anything, or just a headache?

Thank you for your opinions and advise in advance!!!
They really dont do squat. You most likely have an air leak
Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
They really dont do squat. You most likely have an air leak
I'm gonna have to disagree. I run with the op, and have been running the gas cooler longer than he has and been battling a bitchy engine. Not total dog shit, flaming out, but I felt I couldnt rely on it when I needed it. After his experience, I took mine off. I richened it 1 hour to be safe. My temps came in consistently 10 degrees higher, but I had 0 flame outs that race day. I also had switched to Odonell plugs, so I cant say for sure, but the gas cooler is staying off for now!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I have been running a RB cooler for 2 months now without a hitch on my RB C6. Can't really say if I got any more runtime as I didn't check before and after. Sounds more like a air leak as the other fellow mentioned.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about but it sounds like it may be something to cool your pipe? If that's the case then I would chuck that thing in the trash. From my experience with 2 strokes snowmobiles and bikes you want your pipe to be good and hot to produce maximum power. Cooling it is definitely a bad thing.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AsSc8
I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about but it sounds like it may be something to cool your pipe? If that's the case then I would chuck that thing in the trash. From my experience with 2 strokes snowmobiles and bikes you want your pipe to be good and hot to produce maximum power. Cooling it is definitely a bad thing.
actually the idea is to cool the fuel before it gets to the engine.... basically cooling the air that pressurizes the tank therefore cooling the fuel to the motor....either way I know in onroad they have been using them for a while,
but also they tune the motors on the brink of destruction
I like this thread, I am curious to see what the majority finds.. I have never run one so I cant say but I am still curious
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oh ok I see. I should have looked it up to see what it was all about before posting.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i have been using one for over a year with NO problems....
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

So what is the benifit to cooling your fuel?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I dont see how people could be having any adverse effects from the exhaust cooler? It is simply a cooling chamber run in the pressure line. The only possibility would be if the cooler had an air leak and that would cause some issues. I actually took the fittings off and put loctite on the threads in an effort to prevent this. I had no issues and in my testing I have netted an extra 20-40 seconds runtime. It may not seem like much but in racing every bit counts.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AsSc8
So what is the benifit to cooling your fuel?
its suppose to add runtime
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I purpose of the exhaust line cooler is to cool the pressure gases entering the the tank from the pipe. This prevents the fuel in the tank from turning into non-useable vapors, leaving more fuel in liquid form when getting close to empty. This liquid fuel that would evaporate otherwise is what adds a bit more run time. Now, if you run your engines fairly rich, you will not see any benefits. This cooler works only on full hot race tuned motors that are dumping heat and vaporizing fuel (this is the mist you see in low tanks when refuelling) in the tank when the level is low.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I purpose of the exhaust line cooler is to cool the pressure gases entering the the tank from the pipe. This prevents the fuel in the tank from turning into non-useable vapors, leaving more fuel in liquid form when getting close to empty. This liquid fuel that would evaporate otherwise is what adds a bit more run time. Now, if you run your engines fairly rich, you will not see any benefits. This cooler works only on full hot race tuned motors that are dumping heat and vaporizing fuel (this is the mist you see in low tanks when refuelling) in the tank when the level is low.
thats and awesome explanation...
only question is would that be hot motor race condition like the 260 range or hot racing conditions like outside temps?? just curious if it would make a difference running race tuned motors in a cold indoor track..
thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

hotter air means more of your nitro evaporating. less nitro methane.

I'd never trust an o-ring in that situation. use thread sealant.

i'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a heat pipe based fuel tank cooler.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've ran mine for about a month now. I can't say for sure I've noticed better run times (I'd have to do full, clean runs to guarantee that, as I don't expect more than a few seconds of additional non-vaporized fuel), but there sure are less fumes in the tank when you've reached the bottom of it. If only to make refueling easier, this is worth it. Plus it looks cool

there's no way this device can change the tune of an engine to the level described above - all it's doing is lengthening the pressure line by a couple of inch, and performing as a radiator on that length. the issue with the tune is elsewhere.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.