R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tamiya 801XT or Mugen MBX6T

I know its rare to have experience with both these truggies, but experience and info, along with pros and cons of each and how they compare is appreciated. I've read many pages on both threads and both are getting great reviews with minimal problems. Thanks.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
I know its rare to have experience with both these truggies, but experience and info, along with pros and cons of each and how they compare is appreciated. I've read many pages on both threads and both are getting great reviews with minimal problems. Thanks.

With these two great choices you have to ask yourself about part and setup support.

Does your LHS have parts in stock for either? Unless you are an internet parts buyer, then both choices will work.

Local club racing here we have both running in all three classes. Sport-Exp and Pro. Either on any given night can win.

However, knowing this from personal experience, Tamiya and their drivers are really approachable and at any given time you can find factory TRF driver Ryan Lutz "TRCRacer24" answering questions and offering advice to drivers the world around. Something no other "top" team does.

Jimmy W
TRF
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
With these two great choices you have to ask yourself about part and setup support.

Does your LHS have parts in stock for either? Unless you are an internet parts buyer, then both choices will work.

Local club racing here we have both running in all three classes. Sport-Exp and Pro. Either on any given night can win.

However, knowing this from personal experience, Tamiya and their drivers are really approachable and at any given time you can find factory TRF driver Ryan Lutz "TRCRacer24" answering questions and offering advice to drivers the world around. Something no other "top" team does.

Jimmy W
TRF
+1! Tamiya has great support if you need help with anything, to me I wouldn't ever change cars I love my truck iv made alot of changes and have been able to get the setup perfect. It's also the most durable truck after 9 gallons the only thing that wore out was a servo savor spring lol not to bad
jeff alessi 801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was thinking about these two a couple of weeks ago, but chose the 801XT. This was simply down to wanting to be different :P Although there is no hobby shop in my country (UK) that stocks tamiya parts for the truggy, I find amain to be great at shipping, and have a good stock. I ordered spare parts, like arms, and diffs when ordering the truck, and am just waiting to receive it soon.
I read the 801XT thread and found loads of great information, and tips from drivers (team and normal). The responce was very fast and useful, so I thought that if I needed help then there would always be someone to help (since there is noone in the country who has one as far as I know)

The main reason I went with the 801XT was to be different, and it just looks divine. The only bad thing I have heard is the weak arms, but I will boil them and see what happens. I know that as soon as I get it trackside, my pitbench will be swarmed with people wanting to see it and have a go. I remember from my touring car days (again Tamiya) that everyone loves the blue! lol

I'm not saying that the MBX6T is bad - far from it - it looks an amazing bit of kit, I'm just saying that for me, the 801XT just seems more unique! (Plus getting feedback from the main man himself! Ryan Lutz) on the forum does give a good impression :P

Hope this helps
Scott
lazyboy12300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Can not go wrong with either choice. The Mugen is an awesome machine and there can be no denying it. However as mentioned before, with the Tamiya at least as far as technical support on these forums you have a great group of people running this car and willing to help in any way possible to make sure you have the best experience running the car as possible!
Good luck with your decision, and if you choose the Tamiya then we will look forward to seeing you in the 801Xt thread!
-Kal-Gard -TnT-Fx -TKO Bearings -Track Star
-Pyrographix Paints -Ballistic Batteries
TRCRacer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

hey ryan what servos do you run from ko propo looking to switch
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
hey ryan what servos do you run from ko propo looking to switch
In truck:
2386 steering
2368 throttle

Buggy:
2368 steering/throttle

These are using direct lipo to the KO Propo 2.4 receiver.
-Kal-Gard -TnT-Fx -TKO Bearings -Track Star
-Pyrographix Paints -Ballistic Batteries
TRCRacer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
JSR
Tech Master

Thanks guys and thanks Ryan! For the Mugen, parts would be all online likely (unless I can find a LHS that carries parts). For the Tamiya, I have 2 LHSs that can order parts (don't stock them) so it would be a bit easier to get. Support is definitely an issue and it's great to see such fast response and involvement from TRF drivers.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Tech Adept

yes all us team drivers try to help as much as we can!the Tamiya group is a great group of drivers.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I drive a Losi 8ight-T 2.0, but I love the 801xt. This is the video that I love to watch over and over again.....Lutz rules!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlWkmmW7sF8

That's what I call "Dukes of Hazard" style.
js058515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #11
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I love watching Ryan drive offroad. Here's another one of my favorite vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqapqGMJLA
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I love watching Ryan drive offroad. Here's another one of my favorite vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqapqGMJLA

Cool video. Lutz shows up in nor ca every on e in a while he's awesome to watch and a cool dude to chat with too. As for the 2 trucks I think I boils down to personal preference and drive style. They both look good on the track.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
JSR
Tech Master

Wow. Simply wow. I've never seen driving that good before!!! That's simply amazing! I think you'd cry if you saw me drive and have a hard time thinking someone could drive as bad as me. Haha. That's really astonishingly good driving Ryan! I hope to see you drive in person sometime and meet you.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Wow. Simply wow. I've never seen driving that good before!!! That's simply amazing! I think you'd cry if you saw me drive and have a hard time thinking someone could drive as bad as me. Haha. That's really astonishingly good driving Ryan! I hope to see you drive in person sometime and meet you.
JSR,

If you are in Southern Cal.(your sig says Torrance)

You can see Ryan out at Revelation Raceway in Ontario just about every week.

Jimmy W
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

okay lets imagine this and hope this puts it in prospective for you.lutz driving a mugen 6t, holy crap! sorry losi,associated,kyosho,and tamiya, no more wins for your drivers or companys. man that would be unreal to watch.sorry tamiya guys didnt mean to make anyone mad but thinking outloud.
toofast55 is offline   Reply With Quote