Search
Like Tree1Likes

droop blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default droop blocks

I just got my huddy offroad settup system, and it says you need droop blocks to make most of the adjustments. Well i have always used a tire (not really a good idea because it has a tire on the wheel). when i went to buy it (over 150$ i might add), it said nothing of droop blocks or needing them for adjustments. I know some of you might say "i should have known". How was i supposed to know? it says it measures "camber, caster, toe and steering throw". I knew i had to get the droop blocks and gauge for ride height, downstops etc.

But now i am a little irritated. Does anyone have this set? and what could i use for droop blocks instead of buying the huddy ones? does anyone know the exact measurments?

man this sucks.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

You don't really need the blocks to set caster camber toe. I use them, but you don't have to. Just settle your suspension down to where you'd expect your ride ht to be.

For example drop the car from 4"(with tires on) to set your ride ht. Mine is 28/29mm. I use 28/29 so often I made a plastic gauge out of a scrap of lexan. I cut it 28mm and slide it under the car.

Then I put her in the stand and push the car down till she settles onto my ride ht gauge and leave her there.

then I set the cars camber then toe. Dothis with the radio on, and then I check steering symetry.

The Hudy blocks are 30mm, so when you use them and the droop gauge/ht gauge -1 is 29, -2 is 28mm etc.

Any block 30mm tall will simulate the Hudy block, but you minus well get thier blocks and droop/ride ht gauge. Why do I say this? Ride ht and droop are far more critical to set right than camber and toe. (on a nitrobuggy anyway.)
Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hmm.. im confused. if ride height depends highly on the radius of your wheel/tire combo (ground to center of wheel hex), why is it safe to assume that the radius is the same when you put the buggy on the hudy setup station (ground to center of wheel hex)?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
You don't really need the blocks to set caster camber toe. I use them, but you don't have to. Just settle your suspension down to where you'd expect your ride ht to be.

For example drop the car from 4"(with tires on) to set your ride ht. Mine is 28/29mm. I use 28/29 so often I made a plastic gauge out of a scrap of lexan. I cut it 28mm and slide it under the car.

Then I put her in the stand and push the car down till she settles onto my ride ht gauge and leave her there.

then I set the cars camber then toe. Dothis with the radio on, and then I check steering symetry.

The Hudy blocks are 30mm, so when you use them and the droop gauge/ht gauge -1 is 29, -2 is 28mm etc.

Any block 30mm tall will simulate the Hudy block, but you minus well get thier blocks and droop/ride ht gauge. Why do I say this? Ride ht and droop are far more critical to set right than camber and toe. (on a nitrobuggy anyway.)
thanx for the reply! was just going to say, i don't really need the block. but man, my setup was wwwaaaayyyy off!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
hmm.. im confused. if ride height depends highly on the radius of your wheel/tire combo (ground to center of wheel hex), why is it safe to assume that the radius is the same when you put the buggy on the hudy setup station (ground to center of wheel hex)?
just roll you wheel up to the stand and see if they line up, adjust as needed.

My point was that you just need the car settled close to its ride ht to set camber and toe. Go ahead and bounce the car on the stand and you'll see that camber and toe change alittle due to suspension movement.

You can make your own droop gauges. it isn't exactly rocket science to make a 30mm block and a little metal staircase with thirty 1mm steps.

Hudy just uses the blocks under the car for a more anally exact setup. I set the car on the blocks myself. Still I'd recommend the blocks and droop gauges to complete the set.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

You dont need the droop blocks to do any setup.It does make every thing faster & more precise though.I already know what a good setup for my car is & dont deviate much with my 808 no matter where I go. What works really good is setup your car with no blocks then put the blocks under your car & measure again, what ever those measurements are is what you use for reference from then on. What this does is eliminate any changes that may happen when you change ride height as my last mugen mbx5r would radicly change toe & camber as the chassis went up & down.The idea is to know what you want & want to change then when you put those blocks(that are the exact same height every time) under the car its just boom boom boom & your set no settling the car after every adjustment & re checking.Set your ride height first then your alignment & think of them as 2 totally seperate things.Once you play with the system for a while you'll understand what I'm talking about. BTW they also make 25mm blocks & that is what I use & a couple pieces of wood whatever height you want will also do the same thing as the blocks only for free & a little labor to make sure their square. So you know they also make thumb nuts to use in place wheel nuts when assembling the station & little thumb nuts for the 2mm screws that hold the fixtures together.If you want to spend money I would do it there instead of the block,you can make those out of almost anything at any time.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Could you lets say buy some aluminum 1" square stock and cut them to the ride height to put under the buggy for set up? If so this would make a pretty cheep set of blocks?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just use two blocks of wood that I planed down myself.
Slashripper likes this.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dreaux just wondering before you got the hudy did you think you had your set up pretty close? I'm thinking about purchacing one also and wanted to know if its worth it.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mudboger07
Dreaux just wondering before you got the hudy did you think you had your set up pretty close? I'm thinking about purchacing one also and wanted to know if its worth it.
well. I really like nice stuff. I had the extra money so i went ahead and did it. I was going to get the integy setup. I would imagine it does the same thing. and yes my setup was pretty far off. But then again that was just me eyeballing it all the time.

The hudy setup is really neat for sure.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dreaux
well. I really like nice stuff. I had the extra money so i went ahead and did it. I was going to get the integy setup. I would imagine it does the same thing. and yes my setup was pretty far off. But then again that was just me eyeballing it all the time.

The hudy setup is really neat for sure.
Cool, the hudy is on my list of things to get, that is after i get a new vspec and a ffew other items for my sons buggy.....
Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmmm... we always just use 2 buggy wheels (without tires) lol
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i just got the offroad station and its awesome! you just have to remember that the guide that comes with it is a good setup tool but they base everything off of the xray. different manufacuturers measure droop and so on in different ways such has setting the car on bare wheels and so on. i called the mfg of my brand car and got the basic info i needed and then adapted it to the hudy tools. but i would recommend getting their blocks and guage.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The droop blocks are 30mm high.

Just cut a piece of 2x4 that high.. And pow.. Your own cheap droop blocks for the setup station.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
Great point and I was wondering the same thing. What I've been doing is trying different size blocks front and rear for the truggy and buggy to get the ride height to where it belongs. I've been making blocks out of different size aluminum tube stock. I think that most of the Hudy stuff is top notch but they are made mostly for the brand Hudy and I'm a Losi guy so most of the there stuff don't work properly. Losi measures there suspension differently than Hudy does. I would same don't waste your money on the Hudy blocks and droop gauge if your not using a Hudy machine unless you know that the machine you have measures there suspension the same way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.