R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

I've tried it a few times on buggy & truggy with varying results. I used an Integy one for $8, it's the same as all the others out there. The cooler does work to an extent, the remaining fuel in the tank after a 7min run was 10-14* cooler than w/o the line cooler. For tune, buggy didn't need to be changed or if anything lean top 1/2 hour. Truggy it seemed to effect the tune a bit more and the motor ran a little rich. Runtime.....sometimes/tracks I gained runtime, others I didn't. I think the more wide open/punched on the throttle you are on a track (or on a very large high speed track) the more likely you are to see runtime gains. I think the tune/reliability of the motors tune might have not been as solid either with the line cooler installed. So for off-road use I'm not sure if most people will gain runtime, or at least enough to off-set the tune issues some may have. Might be more of an on-road item like ezveedub was describing.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
Tech Elite

we have our own manufactured coolers and we have tested for many months .

They dont produce flame out thats for sure.

The cooler would cool say 5%-10% of the back pressure and give you about 25-35 sec longer run time ,If anyone tells you more than those figures you know its a bull s statement .

conclusion they do work but they are not a miracle
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the input Jesse if anybody does not know how Jesse works believe him when he says he tested it. He's crazy with that kind of stuff.

I noticed an increase in run time for sure around 30 seconds at the pit and my local track. I did back to back tests in the winter when the cooler imo do the most heat transfering.

TLR / Team Orion / Spektrum / AKA / TEKIN / Horizon Hobby / upgrade rc / AVID / SCH / SPY / HAL'S HOBBY WAREHOUSE
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Tech Master

Thank you for all who took the time to read and answer!!! It seemed as though once I installed the cooler the reliability of the motor decreased drastically, and flameouts were a definate issue of a otherwise reliable motor. By saying this I mean honestly I do not experience flame-outs on a regular basis. I installed new fuel line to boot so I'm ruling out the air leak thought. I could have went wrong with the tune, but after getting it to temp and setting both needles to where it seemed "happy", the motor would start to act up! Again I greatly appreciate all of the thoughts and opinions, and keep 'em coming!
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Tech Elite

30 seconds is allmost the difference between 30 and 20% nitro! I think I might get an extra lab to lap and a half on 20%. So an extra 30 seconds is a pretty big deal.

Unless these things cause me tuning problems, then that time is blown out the pipe.

I think I'll pass for now.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Robbers View Post
I think the tune/reliability of the motors tune might have not been as solid either with the line cooler installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyebmx View Post
. I run with the op, and have been running the gas cooler longer than he has and been battling a bitchy engine. Not total dog shit, flaming out, but I felt I couldnt rely on it when I needed it.
Yeah, same type of feeling from mine! I did appreciate the cooler temps, but when you flame out , it gets frustrating!

Jesse- What about scenarios like gixxerman was guessing at like-maybe the pressure line air does need to be hot to produce stability? Or shit like that.....
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

Anytime you add something to your fuel/exhaust line I always ask myself, is what I'm adding REALLY worth the risk of having extra connections that could fail or cause my motor to run poorly? Adding an exhaust cooler has 4 points to me, two where the fuel tubing connect, then two where the inlet nipple connect to the cooler body. External fuel filter, 2 connections that could fail. So the product needs to be good enough to outweigh this risk to be used for me. I really don't know about the hot vs. slightly cooler exhaust pressure temp. In off-road you're not running a power package that could blow up to get quicker lap times....so no experience with this scenario.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote