R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Nitro Pit Track Surface

Hey All,
Getting ready for the trip down to Phoenix in Ocotber and I am curious as to what the track is composed of and what tires would be ideal. My guess is it is quite hard packed and abrasive? Smaller pin tires such as holeshots or grid irons would be ideal in a medium compound? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kane
Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane-o View Post
Hey All,
Getting ready for the trip down to Phoenix in Ocotber and I am curious as to what the track is composed of and what tires would be ideal. My guess is it is quite hard packed and abrasive? Smaller pin tires such as holeshots or grid irons would be ideal in a medium compound? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kane
holeshots work but idk if they are running it dry track or not. losi tires work dry to and last longer.if they are running wet then bow ties in rear crimefighters in front m3 works best. but m2 works good to. i havent tried them but was told calipers work well here to.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane-o View Post
Hey All,
Thanks,
Kane
We need Trevor Clement to comment here. I think the ticket tire he normally runs in the I-Beam. Soft when wet and medium when dry.
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Tech Champion

i do race there weekly dude

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy
Default tires

I believe that is correct about Trevor. He is the AKA guy and has run all their tires at the pit. All of them work for one situation or another, but you can ask him his favorite.

Depending on buggy or truggy you have several choices. The safest tire all around is gonna be bowties in M2 or M3 on both truck and buggy, wet or dry. Alot of guys run them with Crime Fighters up front for more steering. For truck I would say the next most popular tire out here is AKA City Blocks. Some run them all around, others with I-beams in the rear. I really like them with Ofna foam in them, especially on a wet track. Ryan Mayfield also does well with the JConcepts tires when he is out there. For buggy there are so many out there to name. For the most part though it seems guys like a bigger pin tire out here. The hole-shots, gridirons, and revolvers are not terrible but are not as common to see. Losi red compound tires, especially eclipses are great if its dry.

Sorry if it's a little jumbled but I just rambled it off as it came to me. Hope this can help. I will be trying some calibers and revolvers on truck this weekend and will re-visit this post after that.
#92 Greg Singletary
Punched R/C Productions - Ascendancy Racing - Byrons Fuel - JGO Paint - The Nitro Pit - One Hobbies Shop and INDOOR RACEWAY
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maifield ran sevens jconcept at the Dirt Nitro Challenge
Truhe ran Proline Bowfighters Crime fighters front, and bow ties rear
Billy ran losi eclipse

I will let Casey and Trevor talk about the AKA tires

I like M3 Bowties
Two years ago they ran the race (nitrox) Dry but this year at the Dirt race they watered and the track was great, I hope they water for the NitroX.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

During the day when the sun is out and it's still hot your going to want a med or m2, when the sun goes down you'll want a soft or m3. A small pin tire is the ticket at night when the track holds water or you can run i-beams or bowties if you want something a little "safer".
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Oh and losi racer that "dude" has raced at the pit more then once and he's kinda fast from time to time.
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsrule View Post
Oh and losi racer that "dude" has raced at the pit more then once and he's kinda fast from time to time.
i felt like he was blowing my post off just because im not a expert driver. and sometimes i type how i talk

Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys and that will help greatly.
Thanks,
Kane
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Buggy:

I-Beams (soft) - Safe, smooth, and always work in any condition. I run these anytime there isn't enough groove for a small pin tire.

Gridirons (soft) - When there is a nice groove (usually at night), these tires offer tons of traction, are extremely consistent, and don't catch ruts. I almost always run these under the lights at night.

Truck:

Gridirons (soft) - The best tire, all the time, anytime. It's all I run on my truck.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
We need Trevor Clement to comment here. I think the ticket tire he normally runs in the I-Beam. Soft when wet and medium when dry.
What's up Jimmy?!!! Are you coming out for Nitrocross?
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I need to get back to the west coast someone save me from florida.
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Tech Champion

I just tested Proline M3 Calibers this last weekend at the pit. I am loving this tire, i think i found my new tire. Didnt catch ruts, really smooth. felt really good during the day, and at night it just got better. Proline also changed there foams, they feel really good, a lot more firm then they used to be but not to firm like aka