Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what would cause a dead zone in your steering? >

what would cause a dead zone in your steering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what would cause a dead zone in your steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what would cause a dead zone in your steering?

as in the tires won't center on the return imputs. Like there is a space the tires will not center at. I have redone my linkages, damn near rebuilt the steering. Checked endpoints, and i made some progress with sub trim.

Ok so, besides a bunk radio or servo, what would cause this? My 7955 was not doing this when i got it. charging a new battery now, and am prepared to switch out servos. But just wanted to know if there was anything else that could cause this before i go through all that trouble./

could a bad setup (camber, toe, caster) cause it?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Prophet

let me guess its a hitec servo my does the same thing espially if u add toe in and toe out it isnt as bad ,the cheaper ones seem to do that check and make sure the steering linkage is free and the screw and nuts are tight not overtight and theres not much play thas what i had and when i tighten them down its not as bad i have the dingal ones also
Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
let me guess its a hitec servo my does the same thing espially if u add toe in and toe out it isnt as bad ,the cheaper ones seem to do that check and make sure the steering linkage is free and the screw and nuts are tight not overtight and theres not much play thas what i had and when i tighten them down its not as bad i have the dingal ones also
yea i have a titanium gear 7955. I put one of my old crapy jr's in and it didn't do it (not any i could notice).I have a little play in my steering and everything is pretty tight (and new) i will go over it again. THanx.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Prophet

i have the hitec 5645 metal gear its dingal not cordless but man them cordless center really good
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i have the hitec 5645 metal gear its dingal not cordless but man them cordless center really good
Dingal? Cordless? That would be nice lol I think you mean digital and coreless. I don't remember which one I have but it is digital and coreless and it seems to center just fine.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Check ur servo saver setting it may be too loose or to tight
Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Is the servo arm returning to the same place each time? is the servo arm starting to strip?

If the servo isn't recentering then there's your awnser. If it is, its your linkage or rack.....

Just send it back toHitec for testing.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Is the servo arm returning to the same place each time? is the servo arm starting to strip?

If the servo isn't recentering then there's your awnser. If it is, its your linkage or rack.....

Just send it back toHitec for testing.
Agreed 100%. I had the same issue long ago, and the teeth on my horn were stripped.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

If you take the servo linkage off the servo arm & theres no binding when you move the steering with the disconected linkage then I would look at the servo arm splines before the actuall servo. The 5955's I have dont seem to wear the gears at all like my JR 9000's do & I run my servo savers almost locked out. I have 2 questions though what kind of servo arm do you use alum or plastic(alum with platic insert counts as plastic) & if you just let the gar sit on the table with the radio 5' or so away & radio & car on but eng off will the steering servo jerk every once in a while,like over a 5 -8 min period?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

that's when hitec's "no-questions-asked-unlimited-warranty" comes handy...

or else, you can buy quality servos
Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Digital servos have a very narrow deadband so if there is any slack in the gearing then the servo will hunt for the centre position .

Wider deadband =less performance but no hunting for centre ..narrow deadband means better performance but will hunt if there is slack in the gearing .

A digital servo to work perfectly means everything needs to be precise.