R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Need some set up advice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/322177-need-some-set-up-advice.html)

mudboger07 08-24-2009 09:09 AM

Need some set up advice

went racing this weekend with the losi rtr 2.0 buggy and keep having a problem of the back end wanting to try to catch up to the front on turns, The track was dry and dusty for the most part, would laying the front shocks down a bit give the rear more traction? i'm running 5-5-2 in the diffs currently. when the track was watered down the traction seemed to be great.

omarwashington 08-24-2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 6248599)
went racing this weekend with the losi rtr 2.0 buggy and keep having a problem of the back end wanting to try to catch up to the front on turns, The track was dry and dusty for the most part, would laying the front shocks down a bit give the rear more traction? i'm running 5-5-2 in the diffs currently. when the track was watered down the traction seemed to be great.

a few things you can do are:
rear diff use 3 or 4
use thinner rear shock oil
tires is 80% of the set up so make sure u have the right ones

DOMIT 08-24-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 6248599)

Going up in rear diff fluid will help...

Increasing rear toe will help...

Softening the rear suspension will help...

Increasing the length of the upper rear camber link will help...

raising the inner end of the rear camber link will help...

Softening the rear swaybar will help.

Try any of those, ONE at a time. Raising the inner end of the camber link will be the most dramatic change.

mudboger07 08-24-2009 12:38 PM

thanks guys, I'll try these. Im not sure i can raise the inner camber though, it looks like the only adjustments that can be made are horizontal. I may have to get another shock tower to allow for better camber adjustments..

tc5 man 08-24-2009 01:24 PM

my track is pretty much the same thing as yours dry and dusty then sometimes has moister on it keep the 5 in the frount and 2 in the rear and put 7000 in the center and use the thinnest silver rear swaybar in the rear i know that will help i did that and a lot better than the think black rear swaybar and try also to shorten the rear wheelbase only if your track is a small techinal one that will help to rotated a lot better i dont have the 2.0 i have the 1.0 but u could try them things

portyansky 08-24-2009 01:29 PM

This cant be stressed enough, but the biggest part to finding a good setup is to change 1 thing at a time.

tc5 man 08-24-2009 01:34 PM

oh yea i did forget to mection that i tryed to do more than one thing before and got messed up big time

brad996 08-24-2009 02:24 PM

All the ansers above are correct but there is an order to make setup changes

1. Tires- this is the most important because if your tires arnt working nothing you do to the chassie is really going to help. You should find out what the fast guys at your track are running

2. chassie set up- this is for finer adjustment to the handling of the car and can be hard for a new guy its very easy to get lost in the changes you make and end up with a really bad handling car

the best thing that you can do is ask questions at the track and on here.The losi manual is a very tool to have with you it will tell you what each adjustment does to the car

One more thing as it was said above is make 1 adjustment at a time and get out and pratice if you can thats the best place to find out what your changes do

mudboger07 08-24-2009 02:26 PM

The set up we have now worked great before on this track, but last time the track was wet....so not to sure witch to try first?

mudboger07 08-24-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by brad996 (Post 6249987)
All the ansers above are correct but there is an order to make setup changes

1. Tires- this is the most important because if your tires arnt working nothing you do to the chassie is really going to help. You should find out what the fast guys at your track are running

2. chassie set up- this is for finer adjustment to the handling of the car and can be hard for a new guy its very easy to get lost in the changes you make and end up with a really bad handling car

the best thing that you can do is ask questions at the track and on here.The losi manual is a very tool to have with you it will tell you what each adjustment does to the car

One more thing as it was said above is make 1 adjustment at a time and get out and pratice if you can thats the best place to find out what your changes do

lol we ttried about 6 of the 7 sets we own.... I'm almost thinking it was how dusty the track was....as to no traction?

Amoeba 08-24-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 6250036)
lol we ttried about 6 of the 7 sets we own.... I'm almost thinking it was how dusty the track was....as to no traction?

If the track was really dusty/loose dirt/sandy, usually a soft compound medium-sized pin tire like the AKA Crossbrace or IBeam work well. In fact: http://www.raceaka.com/tire_chart.html is a nice little chart to have if you run AKA's. For ProLine, Losi, JConcepts, etc., ask the fast guys. I'm not sure if those manufacturers also do a tire chart like AKA but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

brad996 08-24-2009 04:05 PM

what tires did you try? and also what compound ? and do you know what the fast guys are running

DPowers 08-24-2009 04:35 PM

i have the losi 2.0 rtr and my set up is still stock with 5,5,3 in the diffs and 40 weight shock oil all around and my car is really good sometimes if i try to punch it all at once the back will come around but i just use a little more throttle control and the car is good and the track i ran on was dry and dusty and used the stock tires for practice and the car was still pretty good.

tc5 man 08-24-2009 04:38 PM

on my track its hardpacked and kind of rutty sometimes , so i run crimefighers m3 compound on the moist and dry and they seem to work pretty good, i ran aka city blocks on the track when it was dry or loomy and there terrible i dont know why they dint put soft inserts in them and they were soft but they do last long thats for sure

Zerodefect 08-24-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by portyansky (Post 6249750)
This cant be stressed enough, but the biggest part to finding a good setup is to change 1 thing at a time.

Uh, no. Depends on what parts your changing. You can change diffs, wing, droop, shock oil, brake bias, and toe one at a time. But alot of settings adversely affect certain other settings.

For example ( on my Xray 809):

If you move the shocks to the outer hole in the arm, then you also usually have to move the upper shock eyelet to a lower hole on the shock tower.

But doing this really affects my shock setup, and I also have to fine tune my oil and preload.

Also: If I switch to 12 degree caster blocks then I also have to lessen my front camber usually, and if I adjust camber, then I have to reset toe.

If I change to blu/gray springs then I have to change my shock oil and pistons.

Sometimes if you move one part at a time you can end up with alot of conflicting settings. Then you can end up so far left, that your only hope is to reset to your tracks base setup.

Takes awhile to get the feel for it, some settings can fight others.