R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need feedback on .28 engines?!?!?!?

As of right now I am driving a losi 8ight T 2.0 rtr truggy. I blew the piston out of the losi 454 motor and switched to a S.H. There is not a problem with the S.H. but i would just like to know what else is out there as far as a reliable yet not to costly .28 engine just let me know what u run or what someone else runs as far as a reliable truggy engine Thxz!!
larso10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The SH Pro race 8 port .28 is hard to beat for only $160!
http://z-carstore.com//catalog/produ...roducts_id=214
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thunder tiger .29 Pro very good engine for the price and will run and idle all day long.
blade954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

>21's are faster then .28's in a truggy.....I would drop the sport .28's and get a race .21 like a jammin JPX .21
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Tech Adept

You can't beat LRP .28 Spec3 for price/quality/performance ratio. I swear by that engine. With .21's you could never go wrong with Piccos.
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
>21's are faster then .28's in a truggy.....I would drop the sport .28's and get a race .21 like a jammin JPX .21
I have yet to meet a .21 that was Faster than my OS .28, that statement is false IMO .21's may yeild faster lap times for lesser drivers, but a good driver will detroy you with a .28 major advantage that a .21 has is fuel economy
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasaxon View Post
I have yet to meet a .21 that was Faster than my OS .28, that statement is false IMO .21's may yeild faster lap times for lesser drivers, but a good driver will detroy you with a .28 major advantage that a .21 has is fuel economy

Race a JPX 21 down a 200' straight then talk to me

I own a OS 28 and it has tons of power, but lacks the RPM of a .21...as well all that extra power just causes massive wheelspin which just slows you down....21's are faster on the straights........ been there done that..with both modded and stock OS 28's and modded and stock .21's...every single side by side we have done the .21's win the race ! if you think your .28 is actually faster on a track surface your just fooling yourself..... And no way on earth will a .28 offer any advanatge on a race track, give your head a shake dude ! not only do they have better mileage they also have alot more RPM to work with..... And pray you never run into one of my modded JPX .21's as it would burn your ass so bad you wouldn't know what hit ya............ 28's are for rookies who don't know any better !

I know my response sounds harsh.... However I have played this game so many times .21 vs .28..... Every rookie out there seems to think a .28 is the way to go for a truggy because they think a .21 doesn't have enough power........ However based of first hand experience i can tell you a .28 offers no advantages whatsoever on a track surface, in fact its disadvantages far outweigh any advantage it may have...... Yes a .28 has more initial torque, however with race tires and a track surface that extra torque is wasted with tire spin and violent front end tire ballooning..... A good .21 will easily spin the tires and balloon the tires as well, just not as violently....So your aceleration is limited by traction, not by your engine.... And once they are rolling a .21 will have more RPM to work with, which means the .21 will almost always pull ahead of the 28 at the end of a straight, not to mention that because a .28 is so violent it often spins the tires so badly it loses in acceleration to a .21..... As I say on a track a Truggies acceleration is limited by traction, not engine........ Anyone who tries to claim a .28 will offer faster lap times and better track performance simply does not have enough experience to know any better...... On concrete with 100% traction a .28 will win some of the drag races , however you will never find that kind of traction on a track surface, and all the extra power of the 28 is wasted and often detrimental ...However a good .21 does have a significant RPM advantage over 28, which will show as ground speed on the straights...on a track it is easier to use RPM then it to use torque..... I have many modified 28's and .21's and have tested them to death...and on a track surface the .21's are faster engines.... .28's are for bashers, .21's are for racers, end of story !

Last edited by Maximo; 08-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I would have to disagree. I ran this past weekend in the Tri-county nitro series with my new XT8. I was running a modded Nova P5X and was running well. I had tq until I got smacked by a vehicle that was just flipped over after a crash. Anyways, I swapped over to a modded Nova 528xrp and ran the 3rd qualifier getting it tuned. I qualified 2nd in the main. Ran the main and won convincingly putting the field a lap down. I was pulling .21's on the straight without a problem. With the extra torque the .28 makes, I was able to up the clutch bell and pull more top end speed without hurting my bottom end power. It's all a matter of how you drive and how you set up your ride. Pulling 8 minutes with a .28 is not bad in my opinion and I'm happy with it. I agree on smaller courses, a hot .21 is the ticket. But on a big track I'll run my .28 all day long. Just my .02
2fst2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Clocked JPX.21's friggin scream on the top end
and have the low-end balls of a hi-dollar .28.
By the way Neil, I blew the engine on my tractor
yesterday. I'm thinking about getting you to mod
a JPX.28 to replace it with. I've got some stumps
to pull.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Tech Master

if you are spinning the tires and or balloning them, you're running the wrong ones. Before you call someone a newb, maybe you should pay attention to my join date, i've been doing Nitro for almost 10 years, menber of this forum for more than half of that time. At my track, the absolute fastest lap times for the season were put down by a Losi 8T 2.0 with an OS .28 Followed by an RC8T with an OS .28, D8T with a EBM5, and a Jammin X2 CRT with a JPX .28. If you think your .28 lacked top end, you were running the gear and/or pipe. Oh and BTW the Losi 8T 2.0 with the OS .28 usually pits at the 9 minute mark.

When all of the 1/8 electric buggies(we have enough fopr a separate class) are running 26.5-27.5 second laps, top 10 nitro buggies doing the same and a Losi with an OS .28 comes in and runs a 25.9 second lap, makes me and everyone else in Truggy want to run a .28 again. My best time with a Reedy .21 was a 28.5, best with an OS .28 was a 27.2, seems like an advantage to me....
Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
if you are spinning the tires and or balloning them, you're running the wrong ones. Before you call someone a newb, maybe you should pay attention to my join date, i've been doing Nitro for almost 10 years, menber of this forum for more than half of that time. At my track, the absolute fastest lap times for the season were put down by a Losi 8T 2.0 with an OS .28 Followed by an RC8T with an OS .28, D8T with a EBM5, and a Jammin X2 CRT with a JPX .28. If you think your .28 lacked top end, you were running the gear and/or pipe. Oh and BTW the Losi 8T 2.0 with the OS .28 usually pits at the 9 minute mark.

When all of the 1/8 electric buggies(we have enough fopr a separate class) are running 26.5-27.5 second laps, top 10 nitro buggies doing the same and a Losi with an OS .28 comes in and runs a 25.9 second lap, makes me and everyone else in Truggy want to run a .28 again. My best time with a Reedy .21 was a 28.5, best with an OS .28 was a 27.2, seems like an advantage to me....
Yes I am a newbie and I really don't understand how to setup a .28 properly ! the lack of top end was my setup and not the limitations of the engine !
Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
28's are for bashers, .21's are for racers, end of story !
+1
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

+1 we run the biggest most nasty 28's possible, they are smokin Lamberto onroad motor's, but this is in oval, if you learn how to gear a 28, they will eat a 21 for lunch, a 28 that barley rev's will out grunt a 21 all day, when using a 28 use the bottom and dont worry about the top.
Check us out on Facebook
Mr. Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Yes I am a newbie and I really don't understand how to setup a .28 properly ! the lack of top end was my setup and not the limitations of the engine !
Never called you a newb, just saying before you start blowing smoke up peoples' asses, maybe some real results would be a more effective tool for convincing someone, instead of just smack talk.

That being said, i know the JPX .21 is a MONSTER. I've seen them run and no doubt a modded one is just plain silly fast, but to say that is will hands down out perform a high quality .28 is disingenuous at best
Old 08-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I'd have to say it all depends on a particular .21 and a particular .28 one is talking about. I would not just claim that .21's are faster than .28's on top end period. Here's an example:
Tuned GRP .28 engine - RPM redline is 43,000
Tuned GRP .21 engine - RPM redline is 43,000
Picco .21 P7 EVO 3 engine - RPM redline is 30,000

I realize the GRP's are turbo but still.
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote