Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Good First Truggy? >

Good First Truggy?

Good First Truggy?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good First Truggy?

Hi, I've recently decided to get into racing RCs instead of just bashing them, and I was wondering what you guys think would be a good truggy to start out racing with. I know that this is a really broad question but I am just looking for some opinions from people that have experience. I really like they lay-outs of truggies, because they seem like they can still be fun bashing, so I'm sure I want a truggy instead of a buggy. Price isn't too much of an issue, I can just save up more if I have too. From the research I have done I like the Team Associated RC8T or the Losi EIGHT-T 2.0, but those are the only two I have really looked at. So any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Losi 8t 2.0 RTR. Great truck that comes with great equipment.(Except for the servos.)
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
Losi 8t 2.0 RTR. Great truck that comes with great equipment.(Except for the servos.)
Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR or race roller. Either way you will be very happy. The RTR is a great starting point. It comes with everything you need, and really is the best RTR truggy package ever.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=13200
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If your intentions are to race and bash don't waste your money. These rides are not for bashing then racing. As for good Truggy's Losi, Mugen, AE, HB any of those will do you fine. Go with the one you like the most for whatever stupid reason you like it. You will never be satisfied until you buy the one you liked. ALL makes have quirks about them. However any one of them can win if you can drive.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joshjohnson93
Hi, I've recently decided to get into racing RCs instead of just bashing them, and I was wondering what you guys think would be a good truggy to start out racing with. I know that this is a really broad question but I am just looking for some opinions from people that have experience. I really like they lay-outs of truggies, because they seem like they can still be fun bashing, so I'm sure I want a truggy instead of a buggy. Price isn't too much of an issue, I can just save up more if I have too. From the research I have done I like the Team Associated RC8T or the Losi EIGHT-T 2.0, but those are the only two I have really looked at. So any feedback would be appreciated.
8ight-T 2.0 Roller
Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are going to be racing and bashing I would stay away from the losi Because the parts wear out very quickly. I would go with the Jamman x2 or even the Hyper ST Pro they are bomb prof. I have been racing my ST for about 2 years and have not broke a part yet, My losi I have only race for about 6 months and have had to replace a lot of parts dont get me wrong I love my 8ight but parts do wear out fast.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

josh Go with what you can get parts for locally, I know wonderland stocks AE(I run AE) and can get losi stuff but they dont usually stock it. ExtremeRC stocks and sells losi so parts support should be good with either. I would seriously look into the 8t 2.0 rtr there is simply nothing even close to that for a starter package.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
josh Go with what you can get parts for locally, I know wonderland stocks AE(I run AE) and can get losi stuff but they dont usually stock it. ExtremeRC stocks and sells losi so parts support should be good with either. I would seriously look into the 8t 2.0 rtr there is simply nothing even close to that for a starter package.
If everyone in my area followed this then everyone would be running traxxas
Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opinion i love the Hot Bodies.. but it does wear out parts aweful quick (more than i would like it to) and parts support just isnt up to snuff yet. I have run almost every truck on the market, The Losi 8T 2.0 is a fantastic truck but once again there is that parts wearing out early issue and the parts support around here is ok but not fantastic. The RC8T is a fantastic truck, forgiving in every way, excellent parts support, and even when dealing with Associated themselfs you cannot beat the help they give you. The Xray has top of the line equipment there is no doubt about it and the parts dont wear out every 1/4 gallon, but can be sometimes difficult to get ahold of. it is pricy but worth it and the newest version the XT8 09' version is a great truck.

If i had a choice knowing what i know about the trucks i would definately go with the RC8T, durable, cheap to repair, parts availability, easy to maintain and easy to setup.

My $.02 cents
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

didnt see... but if your first time buying and you have nothing to put on a kit ...i would say the losi 2.0 t-rtr ....it will get you started quick ...if it doesnt have servos ...its prolly better because it will save you the agony of having to repl, the rtr servos after the first run ...if your buying a kit ..you cannaot do better than a jammin x2 crt ...it will last and last ...as for local parts availability ...im almost convinced that this is a moot point ...i mean yes if your bashing and breaking and doing mega jumps off skateboard ramps ...then buy a traxxas its the only vehicle that your hobby store will always have parts for ...unless your local hobby store is different than 80% of all other hobby stores ...you are always days away from whatever part yoou need no matter what you run from amain hobbies or carolinas rc ...tower or horizon ....good luck ...on a side note i pitted for a buddy with a rtr 8-2.0 at the final round of the rc pro this past weekend ..never tuned the motor never replaced a part ...practice , quals, mains..i was impressed losi has set the standard for rtr's as much as i hate to say it ....and my jamminx2 with 10 gallons on it dusted off the division title
Old 08-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've had this same question about a good first truggy, but let's expand on joshjohnson93's original post.

I'm in a slightly different situation. I'm already racing SCT, but I want to expand into the truggy class next season. I also already have a radio, starter box, and a few other misc. "need to have" items to run a buggy/truggy.

Most of the guys on my track run Mugen (MBX5T & 6T), RC8T's, or Losi 8T 2.0's. There are two Jammin's, but they're kind of the odd balls. Support is a valid point, but my LHS has said they would gladly stock the usual wear items for anyone who had a different brand of vehicle. My main concern is durability and driveability.

From speaking to everyone in the truggy class, the consensus is that the Mugen is the most forgiving & easiest to drive. The Losi is the most economical RTR, but the least durable due to so-so plastic, and the RC8T is the most dated design, but is a strong truggy. I'd like to get an opinion from you guys as to what you think a good first truggy would be assuming that I don't necessarily need to purchase an RTR since I already have a good amount of equipment.

I've already read A LOT of debate between the RC8T, and the 8T 2.0. What is the opinion on these two, and the other truggies I have listed below for a person just moving into the class? Ignore price for the moment (that's a whole other discussion). I'm looking for just durability, and ease of set-up / driving for a person new to the class, but not new to racing.

Josh, hopefully this will gve you some other options to look at too...

Mugen MBX6T
Kyosho ST-RR
X-Ray XT8 (2009 spec)
Tamiya 801-XT
Jammin X2
O'Donnell Z01T
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I've had this same question about a good first truggy, but let's expand on joshjohnson93's original post.

I'm in a slightly different situation. I'm already racing SCT, but I want to expand into the truggy class next season. I also already have a radio, starter box, and a few other misc. "need to have" items to run a buggy/truggy.

Most of the guys on my track run Mugen (MBX5T & 6T), RC8T's, or Losi 8T 2.0's. There are two Jammin's, but they're kind of the odd balls. Support is a valid point, but my LHS has said they would gladly stock the usual wear items for anyone who had a different brand of vehicle. My main concern is durability and driveability.

From speaking to everyone in the truggy class, the consensus is that the Mugen is the most forgiving & easiest to drive. The Losi is the most economical RTR, but the least durable due to so-so plastic, and the RC8T is the most dated design, but is a strong truggy. I'd like to get an opinion from you guys as to what you think a good first truggy would be assuming that I don't necessarily need to purchase an RTR since I already have a good amount of equipment.

I've already read A LOT of debate between the RC8T, and the 8T 2.0. What is the opinion on these two, and the other truggies I have listed below for a person just moving into the class? Ignore price for the moment (that's a whole other discussion). I'm looking for just durability, and ease of set-up / driving for a person new to the class, but not new to racing.

Mugen MBX6T
Kyosho ST-RR
X-Ray XT8 (2009 spec)
Tamiya 801-XT
Jammin X2
O'Donnell Z01T
oddballs jamminin my opinion only ..you will not find a more durable easy to set truggy than the jammin ...that being said ...you may want to consider some other points ...will i have to buy a standard set of tools or do i allready have them? ...do i have the brand specific size bearings to go on my new truggy ? or am i loaded with 5x10x4's and 8x16x5's ...what about my clutch? if i run a losi my current clutch setups are in the box but wont work ....all valid questions ....the losi goes through rear hub bearings ..unless you modify the rear hubs to accept 8x16x5's ...also the losi clutch is different than all others so if you have 8thscale clutch parts for your other vehicles they wont work on the losi ....the jammin ,kyosho,rc8t? may use the same stuff you allready have ....the mugen has the least change in bearings they only have changed 4 bearings in the new design ...also the hotbodies i believ use the same bearings we all are accustom to ....just some other things to consider besides what 9 out of 10 truggy racers say are the best trucks ....the 3 most dated designs are the jammin,kyosho,rc8t ...the rc8t would be the newest of the 3 ...also dont forget the xray xt8/09 spec ...
for me it comes down to money and what i can use that i allready have and what will be boat anchor parts if i buy some thing new and exciting ....all this being said im running buggy next year ....xray808 ...hard to beat quality you know .....
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I now run an RC8T and have driven the 8T 2.0. The Losi seemed to me to be easier to drive overall but squirrely (it's not as easy to drive hard). The RC8T seems more precise and the harder you drive it the better it handles. Since I'm still fairly new to racing I end up driving harder (i.e. badly heh) than I should so the RC8T suits me better.

The only durability issues with the RC8T I've seen (haven't broken anything on mine... yet) are the rear hub carriers. They're not weak but if you drive really hard and end up tumbling, if anything is going to go it'll be the hubs. As for "dated design", the RC8T only came out in April of 2008 so is just over a year old and a lot of the design (wide head droop screws, improved suspension geometry & plates, etc.) got incorporated into the RC8B.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mugen MBX6T
Kyosho ST-RR
X-Ray XT8 (2009 spec)
Tamiya 801-XT
Jammin X2
O'Donnell Z01T
LOL losi the least durable, I doubt it. These trucks are indestructible. I have yet to have a single vehicle caused DNF with my losi. I've had it since they were first released. Yes they have a few issues out of the box, but thay are all easily fixable. Losi plastic also does get sloppy quickly, but the cars run beter like that. IMO losi is one of the toughest trucks made. I have put mine through hell and it's never missed a beat. I broke way more parts on my jammin's when I ran them. I was constantly breaking arms, and wearing out center universal joints, and other stupid little issues. I'm not saying the jammin's are not great trucks, but IMO the losi is tougher and a faster truggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.