Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Troubles Running my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Troubles Running my engine.

Hello everyone. I recently purchase a nitro rc truck off a buddy, took it to my local rc shop and toldthem to hook me up with some things i needed.

I purchased a glow plug igniter, which seems to be working fine, i can get my engine started, it will run, ive adjusted the idle and such, im not sure if it is because the car is new, but when i take the igniter off, at first it only would idle for about 30 seconds and would quit without warning, now its lasting a minute or two, and still quits without warning, no change in idle, just like someone hit the kill switch.

if i move the throttle and keep it running, it will stay running.
also, when moving the throttle, a spray of gas or liquid comes out of the exhaust along with some blue smoke, is this regular?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: ive also been through almost 2 tanks of gas, running at about idle speed, sometimes throttling up and down to keep it going.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You should lean your low speed needle an hour or two. That's the screw adjustment on the end of the carb boot area.

EDIT: Lean your LSN don't richen it. My mistake.

Last edited by Cory Kerber; 08-29-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

Read the tuning bible at top of page & that should give you a clue wich way to go but it sounds too rich to me,at least on the main needle but who can say without being there & trying a few quick things.You should have some smoke but not a lot & you should have a little oil spray if you have let it idle for couple minuits you talked about its just the unburned fuel/oil building up in the pipe as these little motors are not designed to run efficiently at idle. They have a narrow rpm range that they were designed to pump correctly at,like 18,000-35,000 rpm & some will still spin up to a little over 40,000 rpm. Just for reference it may not sound like it but they idle in the 3,000-5,000 rpm range & make almost no power till after 10,000-15,000 rpm.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default +1 way rich..

yea it sounds rich to me as well.. veri the glow-pug is correct for the engine.. what fuel and plug and engine combo do ya have
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

byron race fuels, gen 2
as far as the engine goes, team infinity 18.. i have no clue if thats right but thats what it says on it.

im very unfamilar with these race engines.
and glow plugs im not sure either, how can i tell?