R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Dynamite Mach 2 .21 Engine?

What do you guys think of it? I've heard it runs good, but I'm not sure about its longevity. I have been looking at the Go-Tech engines, but being a student I'm on somewhat of a tight budget at the moment, so it would be great if I could find something comparable for a bit less money. If the Go's really are that much better I have no problem handing over the extra money, I'd just like to save a bit if I can. Also, as far as the Go's are concerned what is the preference between the 3 port and the 5 port? Any opinions are welcome, and hell, I'm open to suggestions, so if you have any other engines you think are good that fit the budget (no more than $215 or so), feel free to share.

Thanks everyone
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

why not a novarossi bf .21 limited 3 port for $149 from amain?
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ran Go engine in the past and they were decent..This was back when the losi 1.0 just came out..Since then I hear that Go`s have gotten better....I would buy a Novarossi bf limited 3 port engine and get a dynamite 086 pipe..For the pipe and the engine it will set you back $200..Very budget combo but not in performance
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix357

+3 on novarossi I have 2 you will love them !!! and they last a long long time !!
phoenix357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Many people seem to like it. A couple of my buddies run them and they seem good. Don't know about longevity yet.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ch-2-21-a.html

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The # of port normally represents the rang of the power band. A 3 port will have more low end than a 7 port. So if your track is short and technical you may want a lower port motor. Dosent mean you can run a higher port motor you'll just have to hear and pipe it for what you like. As for motors check out Werks new 5 port motor. Its $199 and if its anything like there other motors you get a lot of gallons out of it. Chech out the thread here in the forum.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
The # of port normally represents the rang of the power band. A 3 port will have more low end than a 7 port. So if your track is short and technical you may want a lower port motor. Dosent mean you can run a higher port motor you'll just have to hear and pipe it for what you like. As for motors check out Werks new 5 port motor. Its $199 and if its anything like there other motors you get a lot of gallons out of it. Chech out the thread here in the forum.
That Werks does look good, but it's pretty new though, amain only started selling it in early August I believe. I tend to find myself feeling more cautious about new products since reviews from racers won't be quite complete for a little bit, until after the engine gets some real mileage on it.

And yeah I get the basic concept of ports, but I'd heard from some that the 5 really does give a lot more mid-range power over the 3 port. I'm on the bottom end a lot though, so I'm thinking I'll be fine with 3. Personally, I like the look of that Nova N21 limited. The engine and a Dynamite pipe for only about $200 bucks, that seems like a great deal for what looks like a great combo. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Number of ports has very little to do with powerband. The V-spec has screaming top end and it's a 3-port, the older Nova P5's had stump pulling bottom end and they are 5-ports. Higher port engines usually have higher top-end power because the makers of those engines saved all of their tricks for that more expensive model and port count is one of the features engine makers can sell their engines on. The new Novarossi +4 is a 4 port and is among their highest end engines and most known for smoothness and efficiency (the hallmarks of higher port count engines).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running this motor right now. Yesterday at our local series race the thing ran like a Swiss watch. Three heats and a main, never temped over 215 and it was in the high 90's ambient. 150 foot backstraight and I never once felt like I was giving up anything to anybody.

The only question is how long will it last? I'm about a gallon and a half in on mine.

I'm not knocking the Nova motor, it's very competitive. But the Dynamite is 30 bucks cheaper so one way to look at it is you get the Dynamite plus a free gallon of fuel for the same price as the Nova.

So far, I'd say the 120 bucks I spent on the Mach 2 was the best money I've ever spent on an engine.
LabRat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its made by SH, one of the best engine mgfs, you cant go wrong, if you dont like it, its only 120 bucks, worth a try That all i got,SH has never let me down
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
why not a novarossi bf .21 limited 3 port for $149 from amain?
I"m on the backside of breakin on mine and as of yet I have not heard one negative comment about this engine.

Half gallon through it and it'll just sit on the starter box and purr. pull the trigger a bit and it'll clear right out. Raced it for the first time last night and it never gave one bit of problem. It's still a bit fat, came in from quals at around 210 and a 20 minute main at 215. Still on the chilly side, but I was steadily leaning it out through the evening, halfish hour at a time.

I did, btw, take 5th out of an 11 car field which surprised me, as I wasn't pushing anything close to what I sensed others were.

Nice nice engine, spend the extra money on the italian.
Farmer_John is offline   Reply With Quote