R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Threads like this ussualy cause fights. I myslef am a Mugen'nite and love them.
But the easiest answer is. What does your lhs carry. Can they get parts for you if you need them. What are the fast guys at the track running, would they help you with set-up?
To be perfectly honest, the top brands have already been mentioned, they are all awesome rides.
And all of these Championships is b/c of the people behind the wheel. You give Drake any truggy and a little time with it, then it will be right there as the #1 seller. Sorta like when Hara won, you couldnt find a D8 anywhere.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Threads like this ussualy cause fights. I myslef am a Mugen'nite and love them.
But the easiest answer is. What does your lhs carry. Can they get parts for you if you need them. What are the fast guys at the track running, would they help you with set-up?
To be perfectly honest, the top brands have already been mentioned, they are all awesome rides.
And all of these Championships is b/c of the people behind the wheel. You give Drake any truggy and a little time with it, then it will be right there as the #1 seller. Sorta like when Hara won, you couldnt find a D8 anywhere.
I agree that the driver is probably 90% of the equation. That being said, the top 4 guys at my track have all told me the same thing...they had to go through different truggies because they found that they were faster with one brand vs. the other. I don't exactly have a huge budget, so I'd love to know ahead of time if comments like "the Mugen's tend to be one of the most forgiving to drive" hold any merit.

Since they're all top contenders, and of comparable quality, if I still can't decide when it's time to spend some money, I may just have my little boy tell me which one he thinks looks the coolest!
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyusmc View Post
If you are going to be racing and bashing I would stay away from the losi Because the parts wear out very quickly. I would go with the Jamman x2 or even the Hyper ST Pro they are bomb prof. I have been racing my ST for about 2 years and have not broke a part yet, My losi I have only race for about 6 months and have had to replace a lot of parts dont get me wrong I love my 8ight but parts do wear out fast.
I personally disagree on the Jammin... I found the parts wear to be VERY high on the Jammin as well. 3 months and the CVDs and outdrives were DONE. Maybe not quite as high as the Losi, but still pretty rapid.

The most durable vehicle I have owned is my current XRAY XT8. (I've owned buggies from OFNA, Losi, Mugen, and Jammin, and truggies from Jammin and XRAY.) The Mugen buggy was a close second.

I would suggest either a Mugen (MBX5T is a good beginner truck, maybe a little more durable and a little less capable than the MBX6T... both are good vehicles) or an XRAY XT8. The Kyosho is also supposed to be very durable, and in fact we used to run Kyosho drivetrain parts on the Jammin buggy for exactly that reason, but I don't have any personal experience with that one.

Now... for a ready-to-run, the Losi is the only game in town... just be prepared for pretty rapid parts wear.

Let me qualify what I'm saying: "Durable" = low parts wear. That has nothing to do with breakage. "Tough" = able to take a beating.

Both the Mugen and XRAY are BOTH durable and tough. On the Mugens, the MBX5T is tougher than the MBX6T, but that is at the cost of some performance. The XT8 will out-perform the MBX5T, but the MBX5T is more forgiving to drive. Parts wear on the XT8 is lower than the Mugen, but only slightly so. Parts wear on the Losi is MUCH higher, and the Jammin almost as much so. Not breakage, wear. Both the Losi and Jammin are tough, just not durable. Drivetrain parts in particular... specifically the CVDs and outdrives. However, those parts are ALSO less expensive for the Losi and the Jammin compared to the XRAY... cost will probably be similar to maintain, but the work to maintain the Losi and Jammin will be higher.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
I agree that the driver is probably 90% of the equation. That being said, the top 4 guys at my track have all told me the same thing...they had to go through different truggies because they found that they were faster with one brand vs. the other. I don't exactly have a huge budget, so I'd love to know ahead of time if comments like "the Mugen's tend to be one of the most forgiving to drive" hold any merit.

Since they're all top contenders, and of comparable quality, if I still can't decide when it's time to spend some money, I may just have my little boy tell me which one he thinks looks the coolest!
I bet your little boy would think my truck looks the coolest... but then again, it isn't a stock body, and it isn't exactly aerodynamic!
Attached Thumbnails
Good First Truggy?-dscf1962.jpg  
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Losi will get some slop but they drive much better when they get sloppy and have never had a dnf due you losi parts