R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Dominic J.
Default Going to mod my savage xl for racing. Any tips??

I was just wondering what upgrades i should do to make my savage more for the track instead of bashing. I already took out the shock clips and put spacers under the shock pistons to lower the ride height. But thats about it. Any more tips or ideas of what i could do? thanks
Dominic J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Tech Master

Pick up some different weight shock oils and some different rate springs for track tuning. Along with some good racing tires. Go to the local track and ask around for which tire works best for MT's.
To lower the ride height you remove the clips on the springs. By adding spacers under the pistons you are removing the amount of suspension travel you have.
For serious racing I would replace the stock .36 engine for a .21. You'll pick up fuel millage and maybe fuel mileage. This is real good and at affordable price.
Any rtr should get new stronger servos. The Hitec 7955TG is more than strong enough to turn big MT wheel and is bomb proof.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

i already got different weight shock oil too. and when i took the clips out the spring had extra space to move around so i had to shorten the travel. and getting new wheels is what i was going to soon also. i will check into that .21 engine. thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic J. View Post
i already got different weight shock oil too. and when i took the clips out the spring had extra space to move around so i had to shorten the travel. and getting new wheels is what i was going to soon also. i will check into that .21 engine. thanks
If you are handy with tools, there is a ton of good stuff you can do. As you can tell by my screen name I have some serious time with the savage. Reducing the weight is the best mod you can do. Go on www.fastlanemachine.com for ideas about removing the radio tray, tank relocation and servo relocation. I trimmed down every plastic part on the truck and I like HPI's rear buggy style hubs that elimanates the link and gives more adjustment. I could write paragraphs about the savage.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysavage View Post
If you are handy with tools, there is a ton of good stuff you can do. As you can tell by my screen name I have some serious time with the savage. Reducing the weight is the best mod you can do. Go on for ideas about removing the radio tray, tank relocation and servo relocation. I trimmed down every plastic part on the truck and I like HPI's rear buggy style hubs that elimanates the link and gives more adjustment. I could write paragraphs about the savage.

i tried going to the link and it didnt work :/ and is there anything else at all that would help? even little stuff
Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wouldn't do much more then the basics to the Savage if your planning to race..... Honestly not to try to discourage you but your starting with one of the worst possible platforms to use as a racer, and you could end up spending a fortune trying to make it somewhat competent on a track... You would be far better off to start with a proper race platform like a Buggy or Truggy right off the bat....keep the Savage as a basher toy and use it for its intended purpose..... Its one thing to go have some fun on a track just the way it is, but listening to some of these guys on the forums will have you spending a fortune trying to chase a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that just isn't going to be there in the end....No matter what you do to that Savage it will never handle like a truggy, be as durable as a Truggy and you very well may spend more on that Savage then if you were to buy a Truggy or Buggy from square one.....I have seen soo many people dump tons of money into Savages trying to make them something they are not, and in the end all they have is a huge bill and a sub par performing track machine..... As I say enjoy the Savage for what it is, and if you do end up liking racing on a track look to step up to a better platform right off the bat.......
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

+1. let the savage be what it was meant to be. 1 very capable 'monster' truck.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would say do a search for savagesam, on just about any forum or google you would get some pretty sweet ideas from his savage race truck.

or check out platinum RC products, Fastlane or IRC products (all realy good low CG range/midtank mods and shock mods ect).

My first point of call would be Savage central website though!

GL, and go own some revos.
J_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
I would say do a search for savagesam, on just about any forum or google you would get some pretty sweet ideas from his savage race truck.

or check out platinum RC products, Fastlane or IRC products (all realy good low CG range/midtank mods and shock mods ect).

Plus one on J mans post but I do disagree with the savage as a racer, if monster truck is still going strong at your track, you can get the savage to be a winner with out spending a gazillion dollars. You dont have to do all the mods to get it right. One thing I would is go to the Losi LST shock mod or get the HPI aluminum shocks for the savage and run just 4 of them not 8.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:

A Savage is still a Savage...a proven money pit of a RC....honestly he still would be way better off keeping the Savage as close to stock as possible...if he finds the performance isn't good enough he should just go and buy a better platform instead of trying to make the Savage something its never going to be...Truggies are tougher, better built and will be a much better racing platform...... SavageSam is sponsored by HPI and has what seems like an unlimited budget to work with...He is a Pro level driver and can make his Savage hang with the Sportsmen class Truggies..... But no matter how you slice it a Savage will always be a Savage, they break lots and don't make very good race machines....I have been there and done that and I will never go back.......A Savage is an excelent introductory RC designed to get people into the hobby, but to start dropping a fortune into it trying to make it a racer is a waste of time and money when today you can just go buy a quality Truggy right off the bat......6 years ago things were different as there were no truggies, but today with all the racing machines on the market trying to make a Savage a racer is nothing more then throwing good money after bad.....I may sound like an elitist but I am only trying to save the guy a pile of money and frustration....
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
A Savage is still a Savage...a proven money pit of a RC....honestly he still would be way better off keeping the Savage as close to stock as possible...if he finds the performance isn't good enough he should just go and buy a better platform instead of trying to make the Savage something its never going to be...Truggies are tougher, better built and will be a much better racing platform...... SavageSam is sponsored by HPI and has what seems like an unlimited budget to work with...He is a Pro level driver and can make his Savage hang with the Sportsmen class Truggies..... But no matter how you slice it a Savage will always be a Savage, they break lots and don't make very good race machines....I have been there and done that and I will never go back.......A Savage is an excelent introductory RC designed to get people into the hobby, but to start dropping a fortune into it trying to make it a racer is a waste of time and money when today you can just go buy a quality Truggy right off the bat......6 years ago things were different as there were no truggies, but today with all the racing machines on the market trying to make a Savage a racer is nothing more then throwing good money after bad.....I may sound like an elitist but I am only trying to save the guy a pile of money and frustration....
Savagesam is sponsered by the australian HPI distributor not HPI, but that is only for his Hotbodies D8T Truggy. the only thing on his Savage that was from a sponser is his modded picco from extreame RC mods.

I do agree it does cost money, but not nearly as much as you make it out to be....I paid about as much to get my MBX6T as I did to race prep my Savage Flux. If money was realy an issue I don't think any of us would be into R/C.

I guess I am just trying to say do whatever is Fun for "YOU", cause isn't that why we all do this? For Fun?

Seeing as you have so much experiance modding savages, perhaps you could offer some usful advise to the guy instead of slamming his decision to Race a Savage.
J_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Savagesam is sponsered by the australian HPI distributor not HPI, but that is only for his Hotbodies D8T Truggy. the only thing on his Savage that was from a sponser is his modded picco from extreame RC mods.

I do agree it does cost money, but not nearly as much as you make it out to be....I paid about as much to get my MBX6T as I did to race prep my Savage Flux. If money was realy an issue I don't think any of us would be into R/C.

I guess I am just trying to say do whatever is Fun for "YOU", cause isn't that why we all do this? For Fun?

Seeing as you have so much experiance modding savages, perhaps you could offer some usful advise to the guy instead of slamming his decision to Race a Savage.
I am not slamming his decision to mod a Savage..I am just saying starting with a truggy is a much smarter way to go...sorry to say but I am offering sound advice, modding a Savage for racing is a dead end ..... So in the end my advice is forget the Savage and buy a truggy ! I will not offer any advice on modding a Savage other then keep it as close to stock and cheap as possible.......

Last edited by Maximo; 08-21-2009 at 08:13 PM.