R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   RC Nitro Engine break in video (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/321333-rc-nitro-engine-break-video.html)

[email protected] 08-20-2009 05:42 PM

RC Nitro Engine break in video

Here is a RC Nitro Engine breakin video , Dave

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPb7sOIBFck
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TJZtbkdv4

slaytanic 08-20-2009 06:07 PM

:nod::nod::nod:Wow nice video! Sticky!!!!!

cassidy 08-20-2009 06:32 PM

I thought in the tuning bible it said not idle the engine during break in, the new way is to start running it in the ground as soon as it starts? I'm getting ready to break in a new engine, now I'm confused on the best method. What is everyone else doing?

damo666 08-20-2009 06:38 PM

Its not a bad thing to idle it at the start of break in but you need to have the temps up to 200f otherwise the rod gets a hammering. I pre heat my engines to 180-200f before starting them.

cassidy 08-20-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by damo666 (Post 6234266)
Its not a bad thing to idle it at the start of break in but you need to have the temps up to 200f otherwise the rod gets a hammering. I pre heat my engines to 180-200f before starting them.

Is pointing the temp gun directly at the glow plug the best to take a temp reading? Thats what I have been doing.

Alan D. 08-20-2009 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by cassidy (Post 6234289)
Is pointing the temp gun directly at the glow plug the best to take a temp reading? Thats what I have been doing.

:nod:

smittyusmc 08-20-2009 06:49 PM

do what ever mothed works for you I still leave mine on the box but I run 4 tanks before I put mine on the ground.

Great Vid.

[email protected] 08-20-2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by cassidy (Post 6234238)
I thought in the tuning bible it said not idle the engine during break in, the new way is to start running it in the ground as soon as it starts? I'm getting ready to break in a new engine, now I'm confused on the best method. What is everyone else doing?

I would say there are other good methods of breakin , but as in the vid , during the idle process I do, the engine does start to loosen up some, the idle starts coming up and the temps usualy come down some during idle, so the engine is not just sitting there pounding,it is starting to breakin a little . I always preheat to 210 deg and with wrapping the head of the engine I can keep a 215 - 220 deg engine and still running rich to help in flushing engine breakin particals out. Hope this helps, Dave

Losi-Runner 08-21-2009 07:11 PM

Don't think I saw it when watching the videos or him saying it, but it's very important that you don't let the engine die out/stall itself from lack of fuel when the engine goes into the lean condition. Always shut the engine off at about the 1/4 tank mark before it goes into the lean out condition from lack of fuel.

apollo1983 08-31-2009 04:29 PM

This video is great, well done! Question related to the previous post, what's the best way to stop the motor, I see the video has him blocking the exhaust to stop it, is that the preferred method vs. pinching a fuel line, seems like it would be...

beta bob 08-31-2009 04:58 PM

Im getting ready to break in a GRP my first .21 and i like this method and found it really helpful but at the end of part 1 he was talking about the temps dropping after a couple of half tanks on the ground and i was wondering do you lean the highspeed or lowspeed to keep the temp up to 210 or do you just let the engine temps go down?

xxxrcnitro 08-31-2009 06:27 PM

I spoke with Dave at a Pro series race. He is sponsored by RC America and is very knowledgeable and always had the correct answers to my questions.Thanks again Dave !!!!I would listen to this guy his engines rip!!

Losi-Runner 08-31-2009 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by apollo1983 (Post 6283173)
This video is great, well done! Question related to the previous post, what's the best way to stop the motor, I see the video has him blocking the exhaust to stop it, is that the preferred method vs. pinching a fuel line, seems like it would be...

Plugging the exhuast stinger is the better way because if you pinch the fuel line the engine is going to lean out and rev up high before it dies out. There is still fuel inside the line and whatever amount is left in the engine. Pinching the fuel line is ok if your engine is already fully broken-in and raced tuned.

ace921000 08-31-2009 07:16 PM

The best way to stop a engine is to touch the flywheel with your shoe.

Madbrad 08-31-2009 07:35 PM

Putting your finger over the exhuast will also cause more pressure on your gaskets, which could cause them to start leaking.

best way is to stop the flywheel, by putting it back in the starter box or using your shoe.