Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Engine Mod Question

I am ready to step up my game and have an engine modded, but with so many companies out there how do you chose the right one? In many cases their websites all sound the same and I even found 2 different ones that are word for word identical. Which ones have any of you other racers tried with success? Are there any to avoid? I have an OS and Thunder Tiger motor I want done, will any of them do the thunder tiger?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

probably not on the TTR mill......the thing with modding is that over half of what you pay for is not needed, there are only a few things that really will make a difference.............for an OS engine, I would talk to Brian Carey of PTM or Ed Bridges @ EB Mods.
www.protwistermods.com

www.ebmods.com
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

step up your game?

learning to tune an engine will be more beneficial than getting one modded...IMO
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Mark at powerhouse performance will mod any motor you want to your exact specifications. His work is top notch as is his customer service. Call him and talk to him to discuss what pipe(s) your running and what your looking to get out of your engines.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

No need in my opinion. Any good motor like an OS has too much power as it is. i dont think a modded motor will drop your lap times. if you are drag racing people in teh streets than go for it. lol you money is better spent other places.

just my opinion
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manufacturercup
No need in my opinion. Any good motor like an OS has too much power as it is. i dont think a modded motor will drop your lap times. if you are drag racing people in teh streets than go for it. lol you money is better spent other places.

just my opinion
+12345!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

modded motor does not have to be just about more power. it is about more linear power, less fuel consumption
Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallot
modded motor does not have to be just about more power. it is about more linear power, less fuel consumption

I think the power increase would be nice but the better fuel mileage would be the main reason for the mod. Is there enough gain to make it worth it? My current set up gets 8-9 minutes with the OS and 7-8 minutes with the TT.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
+12345!
+678910
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdbrowdy1
I think the power increase would be nice but the better fuel mileage would be the main reason for the mod. Is there enough gain to make it worth it? My current set up gets 8-9 minutes with the OS and 7-8 minutes with the TT.
If the mod gets your motor to 10+ min then you can cut out a pit in a 20 or 30 minute main. If that extra time is what separates you from the competition then it's worth it. If you're considering who to go with then I would STRONGLY recommend Brian Carrey at Pro Twister Mods. Tell him what you're looking for in a motor, and he'll tell you straight up if you can expect to get that out of the motors from which you're choosing. As a side note; the question of reliability always comes up with modded motors. The Pro Twister V-Spec that I have idles better, holds a tune more consistently, has better mileage, and better on track performance than any stocker that I have ever run. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rich Reid is one of the few that can hang with Ed...

http://reidrc.com/
Old 08-20-2009, 03:25 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

honestly most motors i've seen that come 'modded'...are usually courtesy of guys with dremel tools. not good. whats some more power or even fuel mileage if your motor doesnt run time in time out.

that and i will say that most guys who perform this 'service' wont do used motors.

R
Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most of the high end offroad motors have all the power you will ever need and with the right set-up can make time too. No need to modify them.

That being said, I love crushing people with cheap motors. There is nothing like smoking Speeds and VSpecs with a super cheap RB S3. Of course, I do this work myself so cost isn't an issue.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

i've had a few modded motors in my time and to be honest...a couple of them were worse off than stock...my best experience would be with Mark from Powerhouse Perfomance...he took the time to listen to what i wanted and then take that knowledge and turn out one hell of a modded motor (not just give you a package option)....i'm running a GRP non tuned .21 with his turbo mod and am getting almost 11 min of run time with an electric like powerband that just keeps going.....
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
If the mod gets your motor to 10+ min then you can cut out a pit in a 20 or 30 minute main. If that extra time is what separates you from the competition then it's worth it. If you're considering who to go with then I would STRONGLY recommend Brian Carrey at Pro Twister Mods. Tell him what you're looking for in a motor, and he'll tell you straight up if you can expect to get that out of the motors from which you're choosing. As a side note; the question of reliability always comes up with modded motors. The Pro Twister V-Spec that I have idles better, holds a tune more consistently, has better mileage, and better on track performance than any stocker that I have ever run. Hope this helps and good luck!
+1

ProTwister has done several engines for me. Reliability has never been an issue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.