Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Brand...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigde2001
Traxxas is one of the greatest american developed vehicles. In there start they were focused on racing vehicles and then decided to switch over to ready to run vehicles. They are a great company and stand behind there products.

rrer actually it's the other way around. Traxxas's goal was always to conquer the entry-level/RTR market (think Fiero, Rad, RadII, ...), they just had a flint with racing in the early 90's with the TRX1-TRX3-BlueEagle which they gave up after a couple of years to refocus on the rustler/bandit/4tec and then tmaxx and other nitro cars, and that's pretty much it.

Their products are decent bashers, but their bulldozer-like marketing (silly buzzwords and claims which appeal to the beginner) is their true strength.

And yes they saved the hobby with the Tmaxx a few years back, so even if you don't like their business strategy (and I sure don't ) you have to give them a bit of credit for that.

Paul
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I actually said the walmart thing in another thread, but I wasn't referring to quality of product. I meant it like traxxas is everywhere, just like walmarts. I think Traxxas makes very good quality trucks. They pretty much own the MT market, and definitely own the newer hobbyist market.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I agree with the Wal-Mart comment...sort of.

Traxxas is indeed targeted at the beginner/basher/general public instead of the hardcore racer. That being the case, the exotic materials, cutting-edge suspension technology, top of the line "everything" isn't part of the design. In that regards, you can generalize the brand as budget oriented instead of performance oriented. That's where the "Wal-Mart brand" description would fit...they get in at a lower price point.

EVERYONE owes a big debt of gratitude to Traxxas for almost single handedly breathing life back into RC. They make a quality product, at an attractive price point, package the entire deal so anyone can easily have fun, and market the snot out of their products (even with cheesy buzzwords). The target demographic for Traxxas vehicles is one that isn't going to be as concerned with rountine maintenance as they are about having fun, so yes, Traxxas vehicles, by necessity, are also some of the most durable out there. Combine all of that, and you get loads of fun, new people in the hobby, and demand for ever better vehicles. If you were to put a Revo up against a "top of the line" vehicle from several years ago, I bet there would likely be more things better on the REVO than the other car.

Don't feel bad about buying your Slayer. They're a hoot....Heck, I still get a smile everytime I race my Slash, and even though I'm also getting a high end, full-race truggy, my T-Maxx will always get some track time too.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Slayer is sold, i'm now getting a losi so....
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imaxx21
if it wasnt for Traxxas half the people on this board wouldnt be in the hobby....

Originally Posted by bigde2001
Traxxas is one of the greatest american developed vehicles. In there start they were focused on racing vehicles and then decided to switch over to ready to run vehicles. They are a great company and stand behind there products.

Originally Posted by sideways88
the traxxas rustler was my first car. im now driving 1/8th buggys and i still run a slash for fun.

you can just beat the hell out of these cars and they dont brake.

and i do work at a hobby shop( hobbypeople) and i have to say. traxxas is the best selling company we sell. i know we dont sell a lot of the high end companys but we normaly only sale to people looking to get into the hobby and they always leave with a traxxas car.
Traxxas sell very well at our hobbyshop but since we have a track now we've been moving some buggies and truggies.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

traxxas makes great vehicles. just an opinion. they've paved the way for many
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

I started out with a Tamiya Buggy Champ back in the day (late 80's). Followed by an RC10 and an Inferno. Back then there weren't a lot of options besides buggies so I'm inherently partial to them. With recently getting back into the hobby, I naturally gravitated towards the big brands widely available like Traxxas and HPI but honestly was put off with all the plastic parts but impressed with the availability of parts and affordable RTR's but what really caught my eye was the speed claims printed right on the box. But I resisted temptation and kept true to my buggy roots and picked up a Hyper 8 and Losi 8ight and couldn't be happier. Now I see one of my buddies just entering the hobby and he's hooked on a Slayer or the 1/16 brushless E-Revo... probably not a bad place to start.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

My bro and I's first cars were a Traxxas Nitro Sport and a Duratrax Maximum ST Pro. Had a lot of fum with those things, then got RC10GT's and got into racing electrics indoor, carpet oval in the winter. Still do that plus we run AE 1/8th scales outdoor nitro offroad. I blame the annual car show in my town that has RC races every year for getting me into the hobby, and i blame Traxxas for making me do research and buy better cars, been 7 years since that Nitro Sport. But like everyone else, had to start somewhere. Had a last this summer running nitro for the first time in a couple of years and i'm now gearing up up for carpet season, but i'm sure i'll be eager to get started back up on the offroad next spring
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Bennny, like you I started out with a Traxxas Slayer and enjoyed it. Got a Revo after that and beat the living crap out of it and never did one single part break, which amazed me because I literally bulldozed it into doubles from 10 feet high at full speed MANY times...

I agree with most here that Traxxas deserves respect for what it's done to get new people like you and I into the hobby. Great RTR packages at very competative pricing.

But once I tired of bashing and took my Revo to a real track I realized that there was so much more! Those buggies were killing me on the jumps and turns...

And like you, I bought a Losi. The 8ight-B 2.0 RTR to be specific. The end. It's like driving a ferrari compared to the Slayer or Revo.

But like some here said, all the higher end companies owe a huge 'Thank You' to Traxxas.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Yep, started with a slash, then revo 3.3, then back to electric with a Brushless E Revo, then Mini Revo. Then went with SC10, and now buying an SC8E.