R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

I've found the telemetry to be fairly accurate - within 10 degrees Fahrenheit of any Temp gun that people at the track compared it to. Usually, the telemetry erred on the hot side.

With that said, after running my 8ight buggy for a few months, the wire is getting frayed, and the sensor is close to failing. Now that I have the car tuned well, I find the sensor to be more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm tired of having to reroute it and tuck it whenever I remove the battery tray.

I'm pulling it out .

PS: The telemetry only works to within 40 feet anyhow, so it's out of range most of the time for me.
nimicohgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicohgr View Post
I've found the telemetry to be fairly accurate - within 10 degrees Fahrenheit of any Temp gun that people at the track compared it to. Usually, the telemetry erred on the hot side.

With that said, after running my 8ight buggy for a few months, the wire is getting frayed, and the sensor is close to failing. Now that I have the car tuned well, I find the sensor to be more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm tired of having to reroute it and tuck it whenever I remove the battery tray.

I'm pulling it out .

PS: The telemetry only works to within 40 feet anyhow, so it's out of range most of the time for me.

didnt know about the 40 foot range, ill have to keep that in mind.
sperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

this is what i used on my lst and get accurate readings i didnet know it was for electric but it works http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=SPM1451
RC TTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Link doesnt seem to be working, I will try it later.

I also got that sensor thing in my kit but didnt use it, maybe I will give it a try and see if it matches with the heat gun, might be more accruate than the loop sensor.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I run the system and love it. I just reposistioned the temp sensor until I acheived the readings from my temp gun. Its nice to pull off the track, look down and see exactly what the temps are.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Walters View Post
I run the system and love it. I just reposistioned the temp sensor until I acheived the readings from my temp gun. Its nice to pull off the track, look down and see exactly what the temps are.
Agreed, if its accurate then its a great idea and very handy. I moved my sensor up to the lowest heat sink last night and its allot closer to my heat gun. I will keep moving it until its exact or as close to and leave it at that.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

i know the dx3s is an awesome radio
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Tech Addict

I have to say the feel of it is worlds better than the stock one that came in the kit, so much better feel for steering and mainly throttle. Not sure how the lap time thing works but im just bashing for now.

Its also allot light and uses less batteries. havent worked out if the batteries last similar amount before needing charging but will soon.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With my DX3S i have noticed that if I use the duracell non rechargeable batteries I get what the radio says is roughly 16-17 hours on the radio before the batteries need to be replaced. This is huge because my dad and brother are always recharging their 3PKS the night before a race and sometimes at the track too, their 2500mah radio packs dont like long race days.

As far as the sensor only working to 40 feet, i think thats hokey! As long as there is power to the receiver the sensor is working and the range is the same as the receiver itself. I have signal from mine around the entire track and when I run setting changing tests at home its runs more than 40 ft away and I always have a reading.
mdbrowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

onboard sensor is junk. just a gimmic and something else to worry with.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
onboard sensor is junk. just a gimmic and something else to worry with.
bs all the sensors i have hooked up top my lst work fine and i have no range issues except sometimes with my one receiver that has no antana and it barley even glitches than.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

I don't have an issue with the Temperature, however, I am having an issue with the RPM sensor. How is yours working?

Gator
TQ NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

The telemetry range is actually 100 - 200 feet according to the manual. I was wrong about the 40 feet range. Just wanted to correct that statement. Although, I definitely lose telemetry at the far end of the track, which is probably about 100 feet away. I've operated the car at 300 ft away before with no problems with the DX3S, so telemetry definitely doesn't have the same range as general radio control.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ NOOB View Post
I don't have an issue with the Temperature, however, I am having an issue with the RPM sensor. How is yours working?

Gator
My RPM sensor never worked. I repositioned it, and was still unable to get it to work. From what I've read, many of the RTRs shipped with the RPM sensor incorrectly positioned. If you move it closer to the clutch bell, and ensure the sticker is in place you should be able to get it to work.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On my 8 2.0 rtr the telemetry never worked (ok, it did work about 1% of the time). Always read "no telemetry connection" or whatever it say. No matter 1 ft away, 6 ft or 50 ft away. And didn't matter whether I was inside my house, outside, at the track, or other places. Emailed Horizon, talked to Horizon several times, and communicated with someone on this web board who is involved with Spektrum and no real good answers other than their ultimate conclusion was kinda like this:

we know it has issues and doesn't work all the time. you can try to get higher than the vehicle, make sure your away from large metal objects and if that don't work, just kinda forget about it. and if you do send in the receiver, it probably won't work any better.

So that's what I did. I took it all off (temp sensor and rpm sensor) and I'm much happier now. I guess that's all that really matters. That stuff don't make it go any faster anyway.