Search

LPR vs. standard size tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default LPR vs. standard size tires?

I just got a set of LPR wheels/tires, but haven't had a chance to run them yet. I know LPRs are the new trend being lighter and stiffer (less tire for flexing), but are there any advantages that the standard size wheels/tires have over LPRs?
Just curious.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Better traction forward and side, especially in soft compounds
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Jaz240,

Are you saying standard size tires have better traction? Is that just because they have more sidewall and thus compress more for more rubber contact?
If their softness and give due to the fatter sidewalls are their benefit, isn't it also their con because while providing better side traction due to more rubber contact, they also flex considerably more resulting in more load transfer to the outer tire making it give (lose traction) sooner?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

basically what you mentioned, lighter, don't balloon as much, more tire choices(AKAs), LPR is def the way to go
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

JSR--did you mean to ask about the new VTR line of tires from Pro-line? The LPR tires have been out for a year or two now. The tires available for truggy wheels are the MT(standard), LPR, and VTR(which can only use VTR wheels).

Just wanted to make sure what the subject is before people start something off topic.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You think LPR's are good, try Proline's new VTR's - they make LPR's feel like Monster Truck tyres.

So much lighter and more responsive it's not funny.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would like to try them. Maybe in a couple years though. I don't want to have to purchase different wheels just to use tires. I have plenty of wheels now. It's easier, for me, to purchase tires and foams only. It's petty I know but oh well.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I was asking about LPRs. I know they're not new, but I just got my first set (used) and haven't had a chance to try them out. I was just curious whether the standard size (MT) tires had any advantages over LPRs or if LPRs were just superior in every way. Jaz seemed to state that the grip was better with MT-size tires. If this is true, I would think it's because of the softer sidewalls allowing the tire to put more rubber contact patch to the ground. But at the same time, I would think that extra sidewall would end up transfering more load to the outside tire resulting in less grip on turns.

I haven't even seen the VTRs. I'll take a look at those, but don't really like to have to buy more wheels.

Edit: Just checked out the VTR wheels/tires. Looks like the trend is going toward yet thinner tires (for less sidewall), larger wheels, and narrower width. They're starting to remind me of bigger buggy tires.

Does width not matter since narrow seems to work so well and truggy tires are rounded anyways?

Last edited by JSR; 08-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Here in Australia we pay about $25AUS for a pack of 4 VTR rims, that's barely $20USD. Cheap as chips... Well worth it, the response from the VTR's over the LPR's is 100 times better.

Jaz was saying LPR's have those benefits over MTR, not the other way around. I think he just read the thread title and responded. MTR tyres/rims have to be at least 1 or 2 seconds slower around any track with any average driver over LPR's/VTR's.

The best thing with the new VTR's is the new tread patterns available - Revolver and Caliber. I'll tell you now the Caliber has to be the best tyre I've ever used whether it be in the wet or in the dry, they're amazing.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

LPR's are better for racing because they are more responsive and more consistent than regular MT size tires.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.
LPR's are better for racing because they are more responsive and more consistent than regular MT size tires.
That and you can AKA's that fit!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

where are you getting VTR rims from for $25 in Australia?
And what are you paying for the tires?

I had them priced in Vic and it over $100 for a set of tires and rims
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

RC Pit in Sydney has the 4 pack of VTR rims (white, either 0 or 1/2 offset) for about $25, the tyres around $60 a pair.

The tyre's aren't cheap but the difference is well worth it.

The best thing is our home track here in Sydney (LRRCC) is extremely good on tyres, I have about 3 hours on my VTR Calibers in M3 compound Barely a sign of wear still, using the same set for a 2 day meet coming up next weekend, plus a practice run through this week

Cheers
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSR
Jaz240,

Are you saying standard size tires have better traction? Is that just because they have more sidewall and thus compress more for more rubber contact?
If their softness and give due to the fatter sidewalls are their benefit, isn't it also their con because while providing better side traction due to more rubber contact, they also flex considerably more resulting in more load transfer to the outer tire making it give (lose traction) sooner?

Thanks.
yes I am saying that, You asked for differences and that is the most noticeable. I did not say standard was better, just that because of the extra diameter and that there is more rubber to flex and contact the ground, as well as more tread they do offer better forward and side traction. Its just simple physics. But they are outdated because of the weight and the rotating mass. todays new LPR tires are far superior to the standard huge ass tires of yesteryear. I actually think the huge improvements on the foam inserts has had allot more effect on overall tire advancement then has the tire itself. AKA foams in a standard tire will probably perform better than a LPR
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anf0
You think LPR's are good, try Proline's new VTR's - they make LPR's feel like Monster Truck tyres.

So much lighter and more responsive it's not funny.

Cheers

they are roughly 2-20g heavier then what was previously before them(AKA,JC,Panther,.....Proline is the exception as they were Overly Heavy compared to most).....they are not any different from a standard LPR tire...maybe 1/16-1/8"narrower with a rounded profile like most Proline tires... and that's about it....aside from the buggy lip there are the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.