Kyosho had a shock back in the late 80s that where some what
adjustable platinum shocks for the optima mid lets see some
long travel nitrogen filled with on springs and fully adjustable
that would be cool
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Nikasil coated sleeve and or piston. Motocross bikes have had nikasil (Nickel/Silicon) coated sleeves since the early 90's. They're running Steel piston rings in an aluminum sleeve with this stuff on it and it lasts.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Nikasil coated sleeve and or piston. Motocross bikes have had nikasil (Nickel/Silicon) coated sleeves since the early 90's. They're running Steel piston rings in an aluminum sleeve with this stuff on it and it lasts.
You could apply that tech to a Saito 4 stroke style engine, but would it be worth the extra cost?

Wouldn't work on a 2 stroke. The chrome is allready way harder than the Nikasil and coating the piston would make the engine impractical for break-in. Would take forever to run one in.

But on a thumper, yeah, it would work.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Speaking of, why don't we run ringed pistons? I have flown airplanes/heli's for nearly 25 years and I know the difference in ABC and ringed, but we have some high performance heli engines that are ringed and they have EXCELLENT compression. The OS Hyper 50 holds compression as well as a lot of ABC engines I have played with, and the ringes engines last a lot longer. Not only that but you normally only have to replace the ring to re-build, on the car engines you probably have to replace the rod as well, but a ring is a lot cheaper then a piston/liner. The only hold back I can think of is extra weight from the piston with a ring on it, but I do not know if this would be an issue or not.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
Speaking of, why don't we run ringed pistons? I have flown airplanes/heli's for nearly 25 years and I know the difference in ABC and ringed, but we have some high performance heli engines that are ringed and they have EXCELLENT compression. The OS Hyper 50 holds compression as well as a lot of ABC engines I have played with, and the ringes engines last a lot longer. Not only that but you normally only have to replace the ring to re-build, on the car engines you probably have to replace the rod as well, but a ring is a lot cheaper then a piston/liner. The only hold back I can think of is extra weight from the piston with a ring on it, but I do not know if this would be an issue or not.
i like the 4-stroke idea, but i would be worried about the valvetrain in a crash. though you can gear the piss out of it, 4 strokes are all torque. about 10 years ago i had a 4 stroke x-cell (ys 91) in a 60 size heli. crazy crazy grunt, plus YS are fuel injected (sort of, they presurise the tank to 6 lbs) it would pull 14 degrees pos/neg of pitch (1750 head speed on a gov) all day long. for those that don't know heli's, "THATS STUPID POWER". and get 25 min of flight time on a 26oz tank. (10 min if 2 stroke) I would like to see ringed engines though. i'll get 20 gallons out of a heli engine, buy a $20.00 ring, and BLAM-O!!!! new engine!!!!

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #51
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I want to see fuel injection and onboard ecu's so I can adjust fuel mixture via a laptop and be extremely accurate. I think the engines would hardly flame out and it would greatly increase mileage and power. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Even if efi was possible, it would take a huge battery to last long mains.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
i like the 4-stroke idea, but i would be worried about the valvetrain in a crash. though you can gear the piss out of it, 4 strokes are all torque. about 10 years ago i had a 4 stroke x-cell (ys 91) in a 60 size heli. crazy crazy grunt, plus YS are fuel injected (sort of, they presurise the tank to 6 lbs) it would pull 14 degrees pos/neg of pitch (1750 head speed on a gov) all day long. for those that don't know heli's, "THATS STUPID POWER". and get 25 min of flight time on a 26oz tank. (10 min if 2 stroke) I would like to see ringed engines though. i'll get 20 gallons out of a heli engine, buy a $20.00 ring, and BLAM-O!!!! new engine!!!!

I asked this question too, the gist is that the rings wouldn't survive the RPM's and relative low lubrication fuels we use. Ariplane fuels have more oil content and don't need instant throttle response that's required in surface use. Would be nice though.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote