Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats NEXT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I could see EFI down the road, everyone said it would never be done on dirt bikes, now i think there is only one manufacture (yamaha) that still used a carb in the AMA circut. i could see a usb connection and electrical tuner to the engine. you could only tune the engine once a run but you wouldnt have to have your buggy carring all that hardware
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goomba_7
Actually that is a false statement Dane. Do you have to re tune your daily car every day???
Yeah, the drag cars get a tune before each pass. All the equipment thats needed to tune an EFI system (the right way) is way out of budget for just about everyone, and would be a lot of extra weight on an rc car. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, just not possible yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

I would actually like to see a set-up that requires no battery for power(or a very small one just incase the engine dies to power the electronics for a minute or so). On small motors they do not have an altornator, they have a different set-up to produce the electricity to power the spark plugs. Why couldn't a set-up be made to adapt over to our engines? We already have the voltage regulators to regulate the power to receivers.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would like to see an engine company produce an engine that's carb boot doubles as a throttle return spring. It would be a stretchable rubber that stays permanent on the carb. That way there is no need for return springs or bands.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Id like to see a requist for people to run 1/8th scale, to many people with less skill than a drunk redneck with a revo are running the top class.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

they have EFI in rc airplane engines fyi.

Nitro has to come up with something. Someone whether it be ae, losi, kyosho will come out with a true 1/8 electric and the class will really take off. I don't see nitro coming up with anything unless the scale gets larger. That would allow for the complicated mechanisms you guys are talking about. I mean you can try to make them lighter, or try to squeeze a few more thousand rpms out this little engines. But really i don't see much else. The buggies out now are just awsome.

4 stroke could possibly come. That would be cool. 10 years from now we will be saying "remember how much a pain in the ass it was to tune the carbs"
Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
they have EFI in rc airplane engines fyi.

Nitro has to come up with something. Someone whether it be ae, losi, kyosho will come out with a true 1/8 electric and the class will really take off. I don't see nitro coming up with anything unless the scale gets larger. That would allow for the complicated mechanisms you guys are talking about. I mean you can try to make them lighter, or try to squeeze a few more thousand rpms out this little engines. But really i don't see much else. The buggies out now are just awsome.

4 stroke could possibly come. That would be cool. 10 years from now we will be saying "remember how much a pain in the ass it was to tune the carbs"
Here is a video of a four stroke truggy. Nitro probably won't see much innovation around the power plant due to ROAR rules squashing any incentive to do something different and actually be able to race it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uddNtWwguI

Purpose built electrics are coming although I don't think they are going to be much different than the nitros. We might see a belt drive though.

I would love to see more rc on television, but face it. RC isn't really a tv friendly sport. It can get boring from a spectator perspective.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

I can see 4-strokes in the future. They can be made to rev alittle higher than the conservative settings in todays airplanes. They can pull a higher gear as well, so I'd think that eventually they'd outclass 2 strokes. Less fuel consumption as well. Not sure we'll like the extra maintenance. Then again its a mute point, these would be no more legal to race than our E buggies/truggies.

How about shocks with independant rebound damping circuits. We dial in our compression damping but our rebound damping ends up way too stiff. There's alot more traction to be had if we'd get some real shocks, not an easy idea, but its doable.

Efi is lame, seen it with the Os airplanes. Do you really want to pay an exra $500 per engine just to avoid turning a little screw a quarter turn before a race. Do not want.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Purpose built 1/8th scale electrics are right around the corner.
Just take a look at the Ve8
Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i would love the four stroke. more than anything the torque and sound.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

More use of ceramics in engines. I know that there is a new engine with a ceramic piston, but do a piston/sleeve (less expansion difference due to similar materials, thus less taper, thus last longer) and possibly a ceramic block. Toyota/Lexus has already built engines with ceramic blocks that worked well, just not cost effective at this time. It is also more stable when hot, not much expansion/contraction.

Just my 2c.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Purpose built 1/8th scale electrics are right around the corner.
Just take a look at the Ve8
Alan you beat me to it. I think the purpose built electric 1/8th scale is here. The HotBodies Ve8 is like an overgrown 4wd 1/10th scale buggy. With a completely new chassis rather then a standard nitro chassis that's been adapted.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect

How about shocks with independant rebound damping circuits. We dial in our compression damping but our rebound damping ends up way too stiff. There's alot more traction to be had if we'd get some real shocks, not an easy idea, but its doable.
I would love for this to happen. It should be possible with the larger shocks on the 1/8 scale stuff now.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692
I would love for this to happen. It should be possible with the larger shocks on the 1/8 scale stuff now.
yea double adjustable shocks would be pimp!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by megasaxon
yea double adjustable shocks would be pimp!
I want seperate high-low speed compression and high-low speed rebound also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.