R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpwr View Post
Where does it say to mount the receiver vertical? I saw where it said no foam, I just honestly don't see any good places to put some holes for good airflow on my box. It's for a hotbodies D8. I guess I can try some holes on the side and if that doesn't fix it maybe I'll go to a spektrum system.
3. Mount your FASST receiver away from heat sources.
Keep your FASST receiver away from muffler exhaust, battery packs, regulators or any other heat source. While Futaba does not recommend the use of a LiPo receiver pack with the 2.4 FASST system., if you do use a Lipo Receiver pack in your vehicle, we recommend that you mount the regulator outside of the radio box. We also recommend that you mount the receiver to the far inner wall of the radio box, opposite of the engine. Mount the receiver on its side. This allows air to flow over the top and bottom of the receiver. Secure the receiver using Velcro® or gel tape.
WINTER350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Tech Adept

This was from their website, I can't appear to find it on there anymore but this was from about a week ago. For what it is worth. The instructions call for wrapping the reciever in the foam and this suggests now not to do that???

How to Get the Best Performance from Your 2.4GHz FASST™ Vehicle Receivers
Every R/C driver learns by experience what methods work well for installing and maintaining radio equipment. At the same time, we also want our vehicles to have the advantage of up-to-the-minute technology...which means that every now and then, we must master some new techniques.
Spread spectrum radio technology offers the perfect example. When Futaba® introduced 2.4GHz FASST radio equipment, R/C hobbyists quickly jumped to the front of electronic technology's cutting edge. Not surprisingly, those new, state-of-the-art 2.4GHz receivers have significant differences compared to old 75MHz and 27MHz units. So it's time to change a few old habits.
Below are some recommendations for updating the way you install and maintain radio gear. Make them a part of your routine, and you'll enjoy the best performance from your 2.4GHz FASST radio gear.
1. Don't wrap your FASST receiver in foam.
Protecting your receiver from vibration by wrapping it in foam used to be a "must". Not so with 2.4GHz FASST receivers. Compared to 75MHz and 27MHz equipment, they're not nearly as vulnerable to vibration. Eliminating the foam lets them operate cooler - which is a plus for all electronics. Use the method below for mounting your electronics inside your radio box.
2. Shade your vehicle from sunlight when not driving.
When you're not on the track, keep your chassis out of direct sunlight. Cover it with a white towel - protect the radio box in particular. Better yet, park your vehicles in the shade. This will help keep the electronic components cool.
3. Mount your FASST receiver away from heat sources.
Keep your FASST receiver away from muffler exhaust, battery packs, regulators or any other heat source. While Futaba does not recommend the use of a LiPo receiver pack with the 2.4 FASST system., if you do use a Lipo Receiver pack in your vehicle, we recommend that you mount the regulator outside of the radio box. We also recommend that you mount the receiver to the far inner wall of the radio box, opposite of the engine. Mount the receiver on its side. This allows air to flow over the top and bottom of the receiver. Secure the receiver using Velcro® or gel tape.
Tip: To improve the cooling airflow in your radio box, try drilling a few air holes. You must have at least two holes so air can escape as quickly as it enters. Position the holes where they create the maximum air movement over your receiver.
4. Remove your receiver pack when charging.
Most R/C switch harnesses are equipped with a separate charging cord, thus making it possible to charge your receiver pack without removing it from the vehicle's radio box. The cells that are available today are high voltage cells and produce an excessive amount of heat. We recommend that you remove your receiver pack when charging. This will not only keep any excessive heat away from your receiver, but will also protect your electronics in case of a malfunction when charging.
We hope that these tips help you with your 2.4GHz FASST receiver installation and maintenance. If you have any questions, please let us know. Just contact us at the Futaba Service Center, by e-mail at: service@futaba-rc.com.

Copyright © 2008-2009 Hobbico, Inc. Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
All rights reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.
WINTER350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Heat

You guys otta try it out here in Phx az, you won't get more than a tank when its 110 amb temp, we've all the above statements, and none of them work, its too bad Futabe doesn't have an answer. The only thing that did help is drill lots of holes in the reciever box lid so you can get air and dirt and mud in it, we've also put that fiberglass heat shield tape on the side where the motor is, we running a ZO1B, the only thing that saves us is that the mains are usually in the eve's so its cooler and it will hold up. You also have to drill holes in the body to get air in. If all else fails we use our JR Z1 radio, yeah I know it sucks but that all we can do
akiyama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiyama77 View Post
You guys otta try it out here in Phx az, you won't get more than a tank when its 110 amb temp, we've all the above statements, and none of them work, its too bad Futabe doesn't have an answer. The only thing that did help is drill lots of holes in the reciever box lid so you can get air and dirt and mud in it, we've also put that fiberglass heat shield tape on the side where the motor is, we running a ZO1B, the only thing that saves us is that the mains are usually in the eve's so its cooler and it will hold up. You also have to drill holes in the body to get air in. If all else fails we use our JR Z1 radio, yeah I know it sucks but that all we can do
I was thinking of this when I booked my flight for the Nitrocross race in October. Coming all the way down from Canada and having my 4PK glitch on me. I have never had issues with my D8T but have had some serious glitching issues in my MP9 at temperatures of about 25 degrees celsius.

I love the 4PK but I think I will be buying an M11 for Phoenix.
-Kane
Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Hate to say it but this is why I gave up on my futaba radio. I had the same issue. I now own an m11x and couldnt be happier.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
Hate to say it but this is why I gave up on my futaba radio. I had the same issue. I now own an m11x and couldnt be happier.
Same here, dropped the 3PK FASST, but went to KO Propo EX-10 2.4Ghz instead.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Futaba Reps?

It would be nice to hear from a Futaba rep on this issue, because I'm sure were not the only ones with the problem, its sad that I have to switch radios when its hot outside, and its embarrassing when your trying to support there product
akiyama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiyama77 View Post
It would be nice to hear from a Futaba rep on this issue, because I'm sure were not the only ones with the problem, its sad that I have to switch radios when its hot outside, and its embarrassing when your trying to support there product
Its been going on for almost 1-1/2 to 2 years and Futaba has never addressed the issue other than replacing the Rx. They always says they never heard of this issue before.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

yep they 'repair' recv sent in for overheating but never admit they have EVER seen the problem, guess they don't have youtube lol

that's why I run my synth 27 band in my nitro cars, too many run-aways due to overheating that I can prove with blow dryer

I use 2.4 in electric np
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
m11x doesn't have this issue for sure?

***Team Terribles***Answer RC USA/Torco Race fuel
last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by last View Post
My buddy is running his M11X straight LiPo 2000 7.4v with two Hitec 7955s on throttle and steering in his MBX6T. No issues what so ever. Same goes for the KO 2.4 system, it rated for 7.4v

Last edited by ezveedub; 08-19-2009 at 08:04 PM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

Many already given up hope.........on the 4PK.

Had one and gone back to KO since and no problems at all.

Futaba had never admitted the problem openly........that is a -

TX is good but too many overheating issues. Holes here and there didn't rectify the problems.

But did you guys see Hara's D8.........it never had issues even without holes on the radio box.........maybe they got all the good stuff and end user got all the crap.

Just my point.

Hengfook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by last View Post
As far as over heating and shutting down, yes no problems for sure. So far running unregulated lipo on the receiver and my 7955's, no problems either. Its a risk I am willing to take. I have no worries on the servos and really I feel that the receiver is going to be fine as well. The day I bought the radio I went to the track and drove it for 50+ minutes straight in 100 degree weather, all was good.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

Some of the guys I race with have the Spektrums and don't have any issues. I've thought about switching to that brand but I'm not sure how quickly I could get rid of the 3PM setup without losing a lot of money on it. So I'm still on the fence as to what to do about this situation. I mean I guess I can mount the receiver on its side and try it one day but I just don't think it'll improve it any.
Maxpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpwr View Post
Some of the guys I race with have the Spektrums and don't have any issues. I've thought about switching to that brand but I'm not sure how quickly I could get rid of the 3PM setup without losing a lot of money on it. So I'm still on the fence as to what to do about this situation. I mean I guess I can mount the receiver on its side and try it one day but I just don't think it'll improve it any.
The new KO EX-5 UR is a low cost 2.4 radio to check out. Comes with two Rx's also.