R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default my v-spec.

I was told that my vspec would only last 3 gallons 5 at the most, because it was my first brand new engine and learning how to tune and all. Not to mention vspec's are not durable and don't last.

well i broke it down and inspected it after 5 gallons and the p/s still have pinch, the piston (well oiled) is 3/16th or 4mm from the top of the sleeve (does this sound good?). the con rod and crank have a very small amount of play. the piston has deposits but i see myself getting another 3 gallons at least. The only thing i don't know how to check is the bearings. They still look and feel like the day i got the engine!!

and considering all the hell i put it through i never though it would last this long. I must have got a good one!

btw, does 3/16 sound good? i cannot pust it past the line without using considerable resistance.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Put your head and head button back on with your low plugs, and flywheel. How is the compression when you turn the flywheel? I should have a good amount of resistence. The 3-5 gallon range is when you get the OS Speed/Ninja rod and put TKO ceramic bearings in your v-spec, then it will be better than ever. ANY slop in the rod/crankshaft pin is VERY bad. REPLACE the rod with the OS speed/Ninja rod and that will help out alot.

I dont know about the 4mm thing, but just check your compression!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I was told that my vspec would only last 3 gallons 5 at the most, because it was my first brand new engine and learning how to tune and all. Not to mention vspec's are not durable and don't last.

well i broke it down and inspected it after 5 gallons and the p/s still have pinch, the piston (well oiled) is 3/16th or 4mm from the top of the sleeve (does this sound good?). the con rod and crank have a very small amount of play. the piston has deposits but i see myself getting another 3 gallons at least. The only thing i don't know how to check is the bearings. They still look and feel like the day i got the engine!!

and considering all the hell i put it through i never though it would last this long. I must have got a good one!

btw, does 3/16 sound good? i cannot pust it past the line without using considerable resistance.
5 gallons should be the minimum lifetime you get out of your v-spec.

Ive seen v-specs last anywhere from 5 gallons to 20 gallons with just a simple conrod change and or p/s change.

Treat your v-spec well and maintain it and it will last quite a while for you!!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well the play is small. and i do not know if it is the rod or crank. Is there a way to tell?

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
well the play is small. and i do not know if it is the rod or crank. Is there a way to tell?
If there is ANY, and I mean ANY play, replace the rod with the speed rod.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

whats the difference between the 2? just curious, I haven't looked up the specs
akiyama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiyama77 View Post
whats the difference between the 2? just curious, I haven't looked up the specs
What 2 are you talking about?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

V-specs can get great lifetime if taken care of. Mine is just now starting to show signs of wearing out, and it has 11+ gallons on it so that's reasonable. I would recommend a rod and bearing change. If it's still got good compression a rod and bearing change will extend the lifetime. You can check your crank pin with a good set of digital calipers.

As for the difference between the 2 rods(assuming that is what akiyama77 is talking about), the ninja/speed rod is much better. It is made better, and has an oiling hole in it to provide better lubrication. It is a great upgrade for the standard v-spec, and is only $5-10 more than the standard v-spec rod.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote