Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
808 2009 or O'Donnell team ? >

808 2009 or O'Donnell team ?

808 2009 or O'Donnell team ?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
the temptation of the dark side is strong ain't it?
Not really, my second hobby has been colecting parts and building/maintaining. I would like something different to keep me busy. And the xray is the only other buggy i would consider. THe six has amazing quality as well. I have looked at other buggys at the track and from what i can tell the 808 is the only one that compares in quality. THe losi to me looks like it will crumble like a cracker lol.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
Not really, my second hobby has been colecting parts and building/maintaining. I would like something different to keep me busy. And the xray is the only other buggy i would consider. THe six has amazing quality as well. I have looked at other buggys at the track and from what i can tell the 808 is the only one that compares in quality. THe losi to me looks like it will crumble like a cracker lol.

*que the LOSI boys*

Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The two guys that drive O'Donnell in my region like it, but I think they get them for free, but all the guys in all the classes who drive their XRAY's around here make sure I know how much they love 'em.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Windellmc X-ray parts for the most part are in line with everybodys but losi. When I buy say front arms for my 808 on line its 7.50 each & since they are symetricle they will fit either side.Now when I buy front arms for my mugen you have to buy a left & a right side in a pack & they are asymetricle & cost $17 a pack last time I bought them & you can get them cheaper if you spend the time looking around but even if they are the same price I was breaking only right front lower arms on my mugen truck, like 7 in 5 months & now have 7 left front lower arms that I paid $ for just to get the other side. Some mugen parts are cheaper & some X-ray parts are cheaper just depends on what part you need.The important thing to understand is with my 808 is I only broke 1 front camber rod end in over 19 gal. All the other parts I have replaced on it were for things like bearings(every 4 gal reguardles) & chassis(just ordered first time last week) every bodys arms bend & everybodys screw holes wear out eventually no matter the brand but those kinds of things are just cosidered maint & even that is farther between on my 808 than any other car I have or had. People just look & feel the X-ray parts & think that must be expensive but their not more than other cars especially with the low freq of part replacement.

Had to come back & add last time I was looking for a spare center diff, I like dreaux paid less for the entire diff on ebay than just the spur gear on line.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my rationale is a bit diff, i am in the virtual hell hole of RC with almost zero to pathetic part support for all the big names, so i went out and got myself the one that breaks the least...

null point for guessing wat i am driving...
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been able to finish all my races this season without a DNF, from start to finish with ease. I attribute that to my growing driving skill, but mostly to the superior quality of the 808. I know plenty of Mugens and Kyoshos that can't make that same claim.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

butch man - I looked and Mugen stuff is pretty expensive also. This thread is about the OD vs Xray though. OD parts are a fraction of the cost of the Xray parts. The OD kit can also be bought quite a bit cheaper than the Xray too. For an inexperienced driver I think the OD parts pricing will be an advantage because that kind of driver will crash and break stuff on any car.

Part Xray MBX-6 Z01-b Team
fr arm 6.50 (each) 12.50 (pair) 9 (pair)
hub carrier 8.5 (each) 11 (pair) 6.30 (pair)
clutch bell 24 17 9
clutch spring 7 5 2.3

FYI the MBX5T arms could be used on right or left side despite how the parts were marked. That was not true for the the buggy though. I hear the Xray arms warp pretty quickly though so I am guessing the single part pricing strategy is not as advantageous on that part.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OD parts are real cheap
but real good quality and strong enough
as are all the components of the buggy
really only thing there is, the chassis is milled to much
and is become unstable
OD is making a point of making good products too, as is Hudy
I find the Team is as beautiful as a 809
it drives great, it is an US buggy too and parts are available
so I wonder why so few us drivers seem to find their way to it

I don't consider the MBX6, as I drove a OCM evo for 3 years
and it is almost the same

I have a 809 too and find it a moneypit
and less good mecanicaly and less beautiful than the xb tq

Last edited by speedy2; 10-25-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

I will say the Xray manual might be the best manual in 1/8 buggy. The OD manual is good too but not as good as the Xray.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by speedy2
OD parts are real cheap
but good quality and strong enough
as is the buggy
OD is making a point of making good products too, as is Hudy
I find the Team is as beautiful as a 809
it drives great and it is an US buggy too, parts are available
so I wonder why so few drivers seem to find their way to it
Same with Xray,... not much marketing in the US, and a small team is why so few drivers find these cars.

However, I do have to mention that at our very busy track out here in CA, the Xray is catching on big time! With RC America stepping up and getting a team together out here we have seen Xray's #'s go from two buggies to about 10+ in only a year. Its helping because others get to see it run, and when these team members let others drive it.. you almost always have a convert.

Maybe O'Donnell will follow, not sure though.

Last edited by CarCrazy; 08-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Bump for the guy that started the same thread today.