R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-15-2009, 05:38 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I will probably always be sportsman, but at 54 yrs old I dont care, and beside,LOL, my left hand starts to go to sleep on 15 minute mains,LOL
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Sportsman mains are shorter because most newer racers can't yet get their cars to run reliably for 15-20 minutes. If you think about it, Having a 7-10 minute sportsman main where just about everyone can race and finish is much more fun for the guys on the driver's stand than a 20 minute main where there are only 2-3 out of 10 cars on the track at times and the majority of the drivers are in the pit trying to get their cars re-started. Where's the fun in that?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Sportsman mains are shorter because most newer racers can't yet get their cars to run reliably for 15-20 minutes. If you think about it, Having a 7-10 minute sportsman main where just about everyone can race and finish is much more fun for the guys on the driver's stand than a 20 minute main where there are only 2-3 out of 10 cars on the track at times and the majority of the drivers are in the pit trying to get their cars re-started. Where's the fun in that?

I have to say +1

If you, as a Sportsman, can run a consistant 30+ minute main. You should be running Expert.
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This year the RC PRO SERIES has the right idea with 3 classes. Intermediate, Open, and Pro.
It helps you to step up as your skill increases.

I ran intermediate last you and finished 3rd in the north division, I bumped up to Open this year and again finished 3rd in the north division. next year I have to run Pro, and I have no problem running 45 minutes. but try running 45 minutes in buggy, and then immediatly after that running 45 minutes in Truggy! That's definatly an exercise in stamina!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Weird... I was just talking a buddy of mine about this. Wouldn't a 25 minute main prove how much better of a driver you are? The less time you are given tells you that you shouldn't make any or the least amount of mistakes if you want to stay ahead. Look at the on-road guys. They barely make mistakes. One mistake and it could set them back 4 positions. The racing is tight.

At the end of the 45 minute main, I feel more exhausted than excited about the race. I finish podium majority of the time, so I don't feel exhausted because I gotta finish the race and not DNF. I'm exhausted because its just to long. The battles for position in a 25 minute race is more exciting as a driver (and even a spectator) because it is not just 2 drivers fighting for it, sometimes it 3 or 4. Count the number of times you've witnessed a 45 minute main that had 3 drivers fighting for 1st. Count the number of times you see 4 to 5 pros fight for the lead within the 20 minutes of the race.

I think the longer mains are just for manufacturers to showcase their products. But for the fun and thrill of racing, 25 minutes is close to perfect.
z1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1nonly View Post
Weird... I was just talking a buddy of mine about this. Wouldn't a 25 minute main prove how much better of a driver you are? The less time you are given tells you that you shouldn't make any or the least amount of mistakes if you want to stay ahead. Look at the on-road guys. They barely make mistakes. One mistake and it could set them back 4 positions. The racing is tight.

At the end of the 45 minute main, I feel more exhausted than excited about the race. I finish podium majority of the time, so I don't feel exhausted because I gotta finish the race and not DNF. I'm exhausted because its just to long. The battles for position in a 25 minute race is more exciting as a driver (and even a spectator) because it is not just 2 drivers fighting for it, sometimes it 3 or 4. Count the number of times you've witnessed a 45 minute main that had 3 drivers fighting for 1st. Count the number of times you see 4 to 5 pros fight for the lead within the 20 minutes of the race.

I think the longer mains are just for manufacturers to showcase their products. But for the fun and thrill of racing, 25 minutes is close to perfect.
I agree that 25 is good because then everyone has to stop for fuel at least twice and a longer main means more broken parts and more work for a TM. I know i've gotten thirsty or had to go "P" during a long main.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Then with that theory i should get to pay less since i'm only running 10 minutes ? As for finishing a longer race, my driving skill has nothing to do with that as i don't do my own engine work i always have it tuned by someone with good tuning skills, and younger people seem to have thier dads fix thier stuff, so again i think if i'm going to get better as a driver AND have more fun then i need to race longer to get the required skills to run in the pro class. I do practice but usually i have to go slower because there are 14 guys driving and only 1 TM so i don't get the real feel of the track.
Now i'm not asking for hour long mains for the beginners but yesterday in my 20 min, a-main i only stopped for gas twice and before i knew it the race was over, then i had to TM a 35min pro a-main which is almost twice as long. Just doesn't seem right somehow.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote